State Qld Bulls Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My yearly post on this thread :grin:

Bobbed up on the CA site this arvo, so here it is for the State cricket completists :thumbsu:

2018-19 Queensland Bulls Squad

CA Contracts

Usman Khawaja, Matthew Renshaw, Billy Stanlake

Full Contracts

Xavier Bartlett, Joe Burns, Brendan Doggett, Luke Feldman, Jason Floros, Cameron Gannon, Peter George, Sam Heazlett, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Lachlan Pfeffer, James Peirson, Jack Prestwidge, Mark Steketee, Mitch Swepson, Sam Truloff, Jack Wildermuth

Rookie Contracts

Max Bryant, Blake Edwards, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McSweeney, Bryce Street, Connor Sully

Not a lot of movement in the squad as you'd expect. According to the report, Chris Lynn and Ben Cutting are in selection contention for one-day cricket at start of season despite not being on contract. New to the main list are the two young pace bowlers Bartlett & Prestwidge and there are three new ones on the rookie list:

McSweeney - batsman who bowls some off-breaks
Edwards - right arm pace
Sully - right arm pace (quite young I think, maybe 16 or 17?).

Biggest challenge Shield-wise will be how they cover for the potential absences of Renshaw, Khawaja and Burns.

And wonder if we will see an attack of Doggett, Neser and Stanlake during the first class season with Wildermith and Swepson in the wings?

First Shield team of the season for the Bulls - missing the 5 regulars over in UAE but good to see some of the up and comers recognised early in the season:

JLT Sheffield Shield
Queensland v Tasmania, the Gabba
Tuesday – Friday, 10am start daily.

James Peirson (c)
Max Bryant
Joe Burns
Luke Feldman
Peter George
Sam Heazlett
Charlie Hemphrey
Nathan McSweeney
Mark Steketee
Mitch Swepson
Sam Truloff
Jack Wildermuth

Heard via the club grapevine that the 18-year-old quick Blake Edwards has caught the eye in recent weeks and with the likes of Jack Prestwidge (knee) out for a while, he has scooted up the pecking order.

Bryant
Burns
Heazlett
Hemphrey
Truloff
Wildermuth
Peirson (c, +)
Steketee
Swepson
Feldman
George

Not sure how Truloff continues to get a game. Averages under 20 from 9 games

2019-20 Bulls squad - welcome back Alister McDermott after a three-year absence which saw him step back from playing briefly, begin coaching at junior and then Premier club level and then rediscover his mojo. Two new rookies in the towering left-armer Matthew Willans (about 1 cm taller than Billy Stanlake) and young batsman Corey Hunter, Aust U19 player with a 2nd XI century to his name I think.

No Chris Lynn on the list but every indication he will be involved in the one-day competition at the very least. He only needs to play three or four one-dayers to get a contract anyway.

2019-20 Queensland Bulls Squad

Cricket Australia Contracted Player
Usman Khawaja (Valley)

State Contracts
Xavier Bartlett (Gold Coast)
Max Bryant (Gold Coast)
Joe Burns (Norths)
Brendan Doggett (Wests)
Cameron Gannon (Norths)
Sam Heazlett Redlands)
Charlie Hemphrey (Sandgate-Redcliffe)
Matt Kuhnemann (Gold Coast)
Marnus Labuschagne (Redlands)
Alister McDermott (Wynnum-Manly) NEW
Michael Neser (Gold Coast)
James Peirson (Redlands)
Lachlan Pfeffer (Valley)
Jack Prestwidge (Norths)
Matt Renshaw (Toombul)
Billy Stanlake (Souths)
Mark Steketee (Valley)
Mitch Swepson (Sandgate-Redcliffe)
Jack Wildermuth (Valley)

Rookie Contracts
Blake Edwards (Wests)
Corey Hunter (Wynnum-Manly) NEW
Nathan McSweeney (Norths)
Bryce Street (Sandgate-Redcliffe)
Connor Sully (Norths)
Matthew Willans (University of Qld) NEW

IN: Alister McDermott, Corey Hunter (rookie), Matthew Willans (rookie).

OUT: Luke Feldman (retired) Peter George, Sam Truloff, Chris Lynn.

For those who like stats, (and for the Bryce Street fans out there), a mate just alerted me to the state of play in the opening 2nd XI game:

QAS 4-645 dec (B Street 345, C Hemphrey 151, J Clayton 54) v Vic 2nd XI 190 and 0-15, approaching tea on day 3 of the Toyota 2nd XI game at Ian Healy Oval;

That means Street has scored a double century at club level for Sandgate and a triple for Qld at 2nd XI level.

Handy going by the young left-hander!

Queensland declared far too late IMO. Vics would have had the draw mindset once you reached 500 and then you made 145 more, just wasted overs.

Queensland declared far too late IMO. Vics would have had the draw mindset once you reached 500 and then you made 145 more, just wasted overs.

Still a day to go. Should be able to clean them up with that bowling lineup.

Qld must be itching to pulling to blood Street in the shield. Can't see any harm in batting him down the order and easing him in, especially with Wildermuth injured yet again. Mcsweeney has looked a bit out of his depth when he has batted down the order.

Might not be the best to play him in the season opener if the blues have their full strength bowling lineup playing though...

Last edited:
Still a day to go. Should be able to clean them up with that bowling lineup.

Qld must be getting close to pulling the pin and blooding Street in the shield. Can't see any harm in batting him down the order and easing him in, especially with Wildermuth injured yet again. Mcsweeney has looked a bit out of his depth when he has batted down the order.
Don't get me wrong, you're still clear favourites but if it ends in a draw with us 7 or 8 down and it's fair to say you wasted time.

Don't get me wrong, you're still clear favourites but if it ends in a draw with us 7 or 8 down and it's fair to say you wasted time.
Yeh that's a fair call. Thought it said the Vics were 4 down when I read the scorecard earlier.

Squad: Usman Khawaja (c), Joe Burns, Cameron Gannon, Sam Heazlett, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, James Peirson (+), Matthew Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson

From that I think the side will be:

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja (c)
Labuschagne
Hemphrey
Heazlett
Peirson (+)
Neser
Steketee
Swepson
Stanlake

I'd be preparing a dry as a bone pitch given NSW have no spinners in their squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland always seem to be a quality bowler short. Otherwise I'd have them as the best team on paper.
I think that if you factor in two of Burns, Renshaw, Labuschagne and Khawaja probably miss due to test duties and Victoria will lose probably only Pattinson it's hard to agree when it's all said and done. I think WA also have a great team on paper.

I think that if you factor in two of Burns, Renshaw, Labuschagne and Khawaja probably miss due to test duties and Victoria will lose probably only Pattinson it's hard to agree when it's all said and done. I think WA also have a great team on paper.

True, that batting lineup there is much better than Victoria's IMO but yeah bar Harris somehow holding his spot none will play Test cricket any time soon. Hence why an extra quality bowler would even it up with the Vic's attack. WA always look good on paper...

True, that batting lineup there is much better than Victoria's IMO but yeah bar Harris somehow holding his spot none will play Test cricket any time soon. Hence why an extra quality bowler would even it up with the Vic's attack. WA always look good on paper...
I think Victoria have the best depth in the country as far as when everyone loses their test players. I mean Short averages 40 in FC cricket and looks like he'll carry the drinks in the first game.

I think Victoria have the best depth in the country as far as when everyone loses their test players. I mean Short averages 40 in FC cricket and looks like he'll carry the drinks in the first game.

I can't see him sustaining that from what I've seen, does Hilton Cartwright still average over 50?

Cricket Australia Contracted Players
Joe Burns (Norths)
Marnus Labuschagne (Redlands)

Queensland Bulls Contracted Players
Xavier Bartlett (Gold Coast)
Max Bryant (Gold Coast)
Brendan Doggett (Wests)
Blake Edwards (Wests)
Sam Heazlett (Redlands)
Usman Khawaja (Valley)
Matthew Kuhnemann (Gold Coast)
Nathan McSweeney (Norths)
Michael Neser (Gold Coast)
Lachlan Pfeffer (Valley)
Jimmy Peirson(Redlands)
Matt Renshaw (Toombul)
Billy Stanlake (South Brisbane)
Mark Steketee (Valley)
Bryce Street (Sandgate-Redcliffe)
Mitch Swepson (Sandgate-Redcliffe)
Jack Wildermuth (Valley)
Jack Wood (Ipswich/Logan)

Bulls Rookies
Corey Hunter (Wynnum-Manly)
Jack Clayton (University of Qld)
Benji Floros (Wynnum-Manly)
Matthew Willans (University of Qld)
Connor Sully (Norths)

In: Jack Wood (new), Jack Clayton (rookie), Benji Floros (rookie).
Out: Charlie Hemphrey (Glamorgan), Cameron Gannon (WA), Jack Prestwidge (Victoria), Alister McDermott.

Queensland squad announced for the Sheffield Shield hub, first game against Tassie. Handy batting line-up as anticipated:

Queensland Bulls Squad: Usman Khawaja (c), Xavier Bartlett, Joe Burns, Blake Edwards, Benji Floros, Matthew Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Lachy Pfeffer, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth.

Queensland squad announced for the Sheffield Shield hub, first game against Tassie. Handy batting line-up as anticipated:

Queensland Bulls Squad: Usman Khawaja (c), Xavier Bartlett, Joe Burns, Blake Edwards, Benji Floros, Matthew Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Lachy Pfeffer, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth.
I'd assume Pfeffer, Floros, Kuhnemann and either Bartlett or Edwards would be the ones to miss.

I'd assume Pfeffer, Floros, Kuhnemann and either Bartlett or Edwards would be the ones to miss.
Yep, I suspect Bartlett and Edwards will share the 3rd seam spot. Not sure either of them have 4 consecutive matches in them just yet.

Pfeffer has made 499 runs in 4 digs in premier cricket this season so he may be a chance instead of Wildermuth if they don't see the need for an all rounder at some point, but will probably miss out initially

So I have you guys going with:

Street
Burns
Khawaja (c)
Renshaw
Heazlett
McSweeney
Peirson (+)
Wildermuth
Bartlett
Doggett
Edwards/Stanlake

Or possibly Kuhnemann with McSweeney missing out.

So I have you guys going with:

Street
Burns
Khawaja (c)
Renshaw
Heazlett
McSweeney
Peirson (+)
Wildermuth
Bartlett
Doggett
Edwards/Stanlake

Or possibly Kuhnemann with McSweeney missing out.
Yep, I think that's exactly what we will see if we get the typical same colour as the outfield Gabba shield wicket. Mcsweeney can easily bowl a number of overs of off spin if needed. Wouldn't mind seen Kuhnemann get an away match or 2 at some point.

Yep, I think that's exactly what we will see if we get the typical same colour as the outfield Gabba shield wicket. Mcsweeney can easily bowl a number of overs of off spin if needed. Wouldn't mind seen Kuhnemann get an away match or 2 at some point.
He should play in Melbourne. With Holland, Parker and Short (albeit part time spin) in our side we should be preparing turning wickets over seaming ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back