QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

👍 top 5 is ridiculous though in a 8 team comp
I find it ridiculous also. Although last year it did make for quite an exciting finish for that last finals spot from memory. Had three teams all tied on points and in the end was only 1% that made the difference for the 5th spot. Although this year I don’t think with the way the season has gone so far that the 5th spot will do much damage during finals

I do hope that this somehow ends up a 10 team comp next year. Feel that surely there should be enough teams competitive in Div 1 to make a 10 team comp. Coorparoo up to QAFL, depending on the situation maybe Mt Gravatt down to Div 1 (if they don’t fall all the way off the cliff to Friday night footy). Then maybe a mix of Sandgate, Redcliffe, Alex Hills, Bond Uni & Burleigh come up somehow. Gets good representation in this comp all over SEQ

Hasn’t been a GC team in div 1 since 2019. No GC came up due to travel and having to deal with powerhouses in Maroochydore and Noosa at the time. Surely Alex Hills or Sandgate would be keen to come back up to div 1. As well as there should be a GC team coming up into div 1. However I’d suggest the only reason div 2 south is the way it is, is because of the teams south of the border. Not sure travelling to Gympie would be any worse travelling to Tweed or the new Southern Stringrays for some of those south Brisbane teams. But the comp was split south and north due to clubs not wanting to travel. Has that mindset changed? Could see a div 2 and 3 Saturday. Although havin Gympie and Tweed in the same comp is an issue. Although Palmy and Noosa use to play each other for years.

Would be good to see this comp become 10 teams

Springwood
Mayne
UQ
Hinterland
Caloundra
Beenleigh
Moreton Bay

3 of
Mt Gravatt
Burleigh
Bond Uni
Sandgate
Alex Hills
Redcliffe

12 in div 2 north currently, 8 in div 2 south
So maybe even 1 or 2 southside teams move from north to south comp?
And maybe a moooroka back into div 2?

I am not writing off Coop going into the QAFL just yet. I feel if they fall short again this year, they may reconsider their position. As I understand it they have an option to go up. if they feel they can compete at that level.

If MT G land in Div1, and Coop decide to stay where they are. I could see Noosa also dropping down a Div. As they have struggled the last couple of years in QAFL.

Making the top 2 tiers 10 team comps, I believe would be a great result for SEQ AFL.

I am not writing off Coop going into the QAFL just yet. I feel if they fall short again this year, they may reconsider their position. As I understand it they have an option to go up. if they feel they can compete at that level.

If MT G land in Div1, and Coop decide to stay where they are. I could see Noosa also dropping down a Div. As they have struggled the last couple of years in QAFL.

Making the top 2 tiers 10 team comps, I believe would be a great result for SEQ AFL.
Of course winning isn’t everything they need to do to go QAFL. They’ve obviously ticked all the boxes with facilities and 2 grounds and big junior and strong senior base. But 1 premiership in their seniors in 3 dominant years wouldn’t make them confident. Especially as last year they were undefeated until the GF. You’d think they’d be gunning to get another premiership before they go up. Maroochydore lost the div 1 GF before they went up. But did have a strong presence and some premierships for about 8 years in div 1. Win or loose, Coorparoo will go up.

Get a few GC teams into div 1 to help stop the over dilution of Brisbane teams in QAFL and Div 1.

Hasn’t been a GC team in div 1 since 2019. No GC came up due to travel and having to deal with powerhouses in Maroochydore and Noosa at the time. Surely Alex Hills or Sandgate would be keen to come back up to div 1. As well as there should be a GC team coming up into div 1. However I’d suggest the only reason div 2 south is the way it is, is because of the teams south of the border. Not sure travelling to Gympie would be any worse travelling to Tweed or the new Southern Stringrays for some of those south Brisbane teams. But the comp was split south and north due to clubs not wanting to travel. Has that mindset changed? Could see a div 2 and 3 Saturday. Although havin Gympie and Tweed in the same comp is an issue. Although Palmy and Noosa use to play each other for years.
Noosa and Coolangatta played each other for a few years!!

can't see Noosa dropping back to Div 1 anytime soon

Of course winning isn’t everything they need to do to go QAFL. They’ve obviously ticked all the boxes with facilities and 2 grounds and big junior and strong senior base. But 1 premiership in their seniors in 3 dominant years wouldn’t make them confident. Especially as last year they were undefeated until the GF. You’d think they’d be gunning to get another premiership before they go up. Maroochydore lost the div 1 GF before they went up. But did have a strong presence and some premierships for about 8 years in div 1. Win or loose, Coorparoo will go up.

Get a few GC teams into div 1 to help stop the over dilution of Brisbane teams in QAFL and Div 1.
100% - those GC sides need to be part of it as well - the evenness of Div 1 is such that it isn't the major disparity it once was. Gee I remember the day Caloundra knocked off Bond Uni where they didn't score a point!

Would be good to see this comp become 10 teams

Springwood
Mayne
UQ
Hinterland
Caloundra
Beenleigh
Moreton Bay

3 of
Mt Gravatt
Burleigh
Bond Uni
Sandgate
Alex Hills
Redcliffe

12 in div 2 north currently, 8 in div 2 south
So maybe even 1 or 2 southside teams move from north to south comp?
And maybe a moooroka back into div 2?
I do wonder if Beenleigh will still be up there in Div 1 next year. From what I heard they have struggled for numbers quite a bit this year, as evidenced by their reserves this year. Obviously injuries doesn’t help but doesn’t seem they’re in the great position at the moment either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel as though Coorparoo are setting themselves up well for QAFL, i think they obviously would love a premiership but I don’t think it’s the be all end all. Coorparoo have been up the top of this comp for a few years now, have great numbers obviously by the fact they got 2 3rds teams. Strong junior base. What I think will be their issue will be recruitment. They already get close to maxing out their points each week in Div 1 and only get an extra 5 points going to QAFL I believe. Also I don’t believe that A few of their players will want to stick around at QAFL next year (Suckling, Reid, Lake, Gibson Etc). Think they will have to rely on getting their juniors back from other QAFL clubs in the hope of getting some quality 1 pointers to be able to recruit more.

100% - those GC sides need to be part of it as well - the evenness of Div 1 is such that it isn't the major disparity it once was. Gee I remember the day Caloundra knocked off Bond Uni where they didn't score a point!
They certainly do, especially with the facilities Bond have now would be great in this comp. Also a bit of University rivalry again with UQ would be another one. Burleigh also had a solid decade of decent results before a couple of down years saw them back in Div 2. Long gone are the days though that those sunny coast trips were a guaranteed flogging. No more Maroochydore or Noosa, plus Caloundra not being what they once were either, could make for quite a good comp.

I feel as though Coorparoo are setting themselves up well for QAFL, i think they obviously would love a premiership but I don’t think it’s the be all end all. Coorparoo have been up the top of this comp for a few years now, have great numbers obviously by the fact they got 2 3rds teams. Strong junior base. What I think will be their issue will be recruitment. They already get close to maxing out their points each week in Div 1 and only get an extra 5 points going to QAFL I believe. Also I don’t believe that A few of their players will want to stick around at QAFL next year (Suckling, Reid, Lake, Gibson Etc). Think they will have to rely on getting their juniors back from other QAFL clubs in the hope of getting some quality 1 pointers to be able to recruit more.
No disrespect but they will need 15-20 new players of reasonable quality to compete at QAFL Level. It has gone up another notch this year and for Roos to even be competitive they will need a real increase to their current playing group in my opinion.

No disrespect but they will need 15-20 new players of reasonable quality to compete at QAFL Level. It has gone up another notch this year and for Roos to even be competitive they will need a real increase to their current playing group in my opinion.
Agreed. However they have numbers and both ressies and seniors have been strong since covid. Any idea on how much $$$ they have? Obviously Suckling would be the highest paid I’d assume then working down to Reid, Gibson and Jack Lake and Sam Holna. Off season will be chasing those ex juniors.

Agreed. However they have numbers and both ressies and seniors have been strong since covid. Any idea on how much $$$ they have? Obviously Suckling would be the highest paid I’d assume then working down to Reid, Gibson and Jack Lake and Sam Holna. Off season will be chasing those ex juniors.
Just out of curiosity why did Coorparoo Ressies need players on the weekend and seen on their Facebook page about 4 or 5 past players had a kick?

Why couldn’t they grab some of their Friday Night players or surely they have left overs when they went for 4 teams?

Just out of curiosity why did Coorparoo Ressies need players on the weekend and seen on their Facebook page about 4 or 5 past players had a kick?

Why couldn’t they grab some of their Friday Night players or surely they have left overs when they went for 4 teams?
They filled in for the Beenleigh ressies, wasn’t Coorparoo lacking numbers, was more so that the ressies could get a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back