QAFL. Nearly 20% more players if 2 teams introduced 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Redlands
Noosa

Adding nearly 20% more teams to the QAFL will actually dilute the comp rather than strengthen it. The new clubs will have to raid QFA Div1 clubs for some quality kids running round there.

Is a demand for 20% more players in the comp going to equal more money for players? And which existing clubs may struggle if player payments rise?

Will 2 new teams actually weaken QAFL than it was even in 2019? As the better players that improved the standard in 2020 head south, the competition goes back to normal. But with potentially 2 extra teams in the QAFL in 2021, what does that do to the standard across the board?

Already kids with talents at 18yo are trying to get into 1st grade to get their names out there in the 'draft year'. I can see a scenario of u17-18s moving clubs to get 'into top grade sides.

Last edited:
I reckon Aspley and Southport to VFL.
Redland and Noosa to QAFL.

All will be competitive in their new comps I reckon, no way Redland keep their NEAFL list so they come back to the field quickly.
Maroochydore showed this year that Noosa will be competitive. QAFL will be good with 11 teams, just work the fixture so sunny coast and Gold Coast teams play each once only to reduce travel etc. 18 matches with a couple of byes.

Sharks and Aspley will offer an attractive option of VFL footy whilst living in QLD and plenty of talent will Be at their disposal.

• Banned
I reckon Aspley and Southport to VFL.
Redland and Noosa to QAFL.

All will be competitive in their new comps I reckon, no way Redland keep their NEAFL list so they come back to the field quickly.
Maroochydore showed this year that Noosa will be competitive. QAFL will be good with 11 teams, just work the fixture so sunny coast and Gold Coast teams play each once only to reduce travel etc. 18 matches with a couple of byes.

Sharks and Aspley will offer an attractive option of VFL footy whilst living in QLD and plenty of talent will Be at their disposal.

I heard on the weekend Aspley arent going to apply for the VFL?

Heres a club update. Seems they are still looking at it..

• Banned
Aspley have applied for VFL

Noosa have applied for QAFL

Reckon both applications will be successful

So if just Noosa and Redlands join QAFL thats still a lot of players needed to fill 1st and reserve grades. Im no mathematician but i think it equates to 15% increase of players needed for the comp. With Maroochy already in, Noosa will have to dredge through whats left up there and find more players for the 3 teams required (reserves and 1st, u18s) Redlands will draw on their QFA div1 side, of which i recon will largely be reserve graders, where they get the rest will be interesting.

It all points to major player movement off season and potentially u17-18s joining new clubs for a chance to play 1st grade in their 'draft season'. Regardless of realising if you cant make 1st grade at the club you are at when 18yo, its unlikely you will be drafted at 18. Doesnt me one cant be, just that one isnt ready yet.

Last edited:
Noosa already have the players, you realise they don't go to QAFL with 0 players on their list right?

I doubt Redlands will exist at all to be honest.

• Banned
Noosa already have the players, you realise they don't go to QAFL with 0 players on their list right?

I doubt Redlands will exist at all to be honest.

Noosa have a QAFL quality 1st AND reserve grade list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back