Toast Premiership ruckman Rhys Stanley.

Remove this Banner Ad

At his best and when “on song” he is elite. Until mid/late 2022 we only saw this form sporadically, IMO.

At the team presentation post GF Chris Scott admitted he has his favourites and Rhys is one of them

has delivered in spades
Absolutely. Considering we had to cut Bundy and move on, this deal has ended up being an absolute triumph for us. 120+ games already in the hoops. And a premiership ruck now as well.

He still has his infuriating days (and moments), no doubt, But when it really mattered in 2022, he comfortably met the standard required to allow us to go all the way. And to play your best season in the AFL thirteen years in (at the age of 31) is a really estimable achievement as well.

And, yes, I'm with the coach on this one as well. Despite how many times he's made me sigh in exasperation, Rhys truly is one of my favourites down at the club. Just so likeable, and now so memorable as a key part of a very sweet flag.

#ournumberoneisnumerouno

At his best and when “on song” he is elite. Until mid/late 2022 we only saw this form sporadically, IMO.

At the team presentation post GF Chris Scott admitted he has his favourites and Rhys is one of them
Gary Rohan about to Tonya Harding Rhys in the KP carpark lmao

It's crazy to think about how many rucks the Cats brought in and yet Rhys managed to fight them all off to keep his spot and become a premiership player. Gotta love that about him. Seems so unassuming but is a real silent assassin.

Congrats too on the new bb, Stanley fam!

I think Rhys is like JC, a classical Geelong Footballer. Highly skilled, very entertaining, lovable, easy-going superficially, sometimes goes missing, but very glad they are our players.

I think Rhys is like JC, a classical Geelong Footballer. Highly skilled, very entertaining, lovable, easy-going superficially, sometimes goes missing, but very glad they are our players.
Not meaning to take anything away from the admiration for either player, but I think J Selwood has changed forever the type which we should now consider a "classical" Geelong footballer. Humble, hard-working, selfless, uncompromising..

Not meaning to take anything away from the admiration for either player, but I think J Selwood has changed forever the type which we should now consider a "classical" Geelong footballer. Humble, hard-working, selfless, uncompromising..
I'm going back a long time.
Selwood is a freak in the best possible way, and unlike most players who have ever worn the hoops.
Selwood certainly has those character traits, no argument.
I agree, he is the type of player and person all players could aspire to emulate, but not easy.

Really? He might be flawed, but he helped get us to a premiership
Yes, he contributed to the flag and played his role last season.

He has basically the best of a very bad bunch though and a liability/costly on many occasions in the past.

I will say that he was solid and contributed to the flag yes... But I'm not getting carried away with his form or the level of his importance.

Hopefully he can be a 2x premiership player at the end of the upcoming season.

I'm just not copping that he has delivered in spades one bit... He played his role and for that I'm finally thankful.

I think you and I are of the vintage that saw plenty of this type... we seemed to really like WA players.
We seemed to really like the highly skilled and entertaining types who were enigma's and probably likely to fail when it counted. Rohan too is very Geelong.
So pre our 07 plus era... id say this type was exactly how we were thought of ..as the type of player we had ..and the type of club were were. I am glad now that few guys like Bartel and Selwood have balanced that a bit

Very happy to see Stanley have his best year when we won a flag. Seems like has spent 13 years building to his best self. Plenty are cooked and gone well before that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest knock on Stanley has been a lack of physicality in comparison to his strength- He went in hard all the way through the finals. If he keeps doing that gonna be tough to dislodge him from the best 22 this year.
Imho, He is a no-brainer for best 22; just a matter of fitness and lack of injury. He is the best we have in that position, and is finally fresh and fit.

Biggest knock on Stanley has been a lack of physicality in comparison to his strength- He went in hard all the way through the finals. If he keeps doing that gonna be tough to dislodge him from the best 22 this year.

Ceglar is his backup and conway is not ready and injured so realistically stanley is unlikely to lose the spot this year.

The eye's still shut, but from these photos & videos, you can see what gives Geelong an edge for those wanting a tree change during their careers

Where is that?
That's his farm on the outskirts of Geelong. Mount Moriac in the background so he's not far from Hawkins, who also posts and often has same outlook in the background. Jezza not far from there on a property at Freshwater Creek. They're all around a 20-25 min drive to GMHBA. Not many clubs can sell that to players ............ Surfcoast / Torquay also home to a fair chunk of players about the same distance from the club.

The eye's still shut, but from these photos & videos, you can see what gives Geelong an edge for those wanting a tree change during their careers

I had to laugh yesterday when they were talking about Tasmania ...... and one comment said Geelong had an unfair advantage being so close to rural yet basically a big city and not far from Melb. The observation was Tassy could be the same.

I had to laugh yesterday when they were talking about Tasmania ...... and one comment said Geelong had an unfair advantage being so close to rural yet basically a big city and not far from Melb. The observation was Tassy could be the same.
Yeah saw that. Wasn't the comment attributed to the angry little man Clarkson?

I think he's on the right path actually, and there will be a reasonable attraction for players to play and train at a world class stadium, and be away from the spotlight of Victoria, or even Sydney and Perth for that matter. It won't appeal to everyone, but it will be a factor for some.

All of that shouldn't be confused with what's happened on the Gold Coast. it was never set up properly from the start and was doomed for failure. I think Chris Scott spoke pretty well about that yesterday in his press conference. But was very careful with the language he used. Unlike the bogan Sicily from Melton.

I thought much of the same and I suspect they’ll mimic the same sort of recruitment with the senior players seeking that lifestyle

Yeah saw that. Wasn't the comment attributed to the angry little man Clarkson?

I think he's on the right path actually, and there will be a reasonable attraction for players to play and train at a world class stadium, and be away from the spotlight of Victoria, or even Sydney and Perth for that matter. It won't appeal to everyone, but it will be a factor for some.

All of that shouldn't be confused with what's happened on the Gold Coast. it was never set up properly from the start and was doomed for failure. I think Chris Scott spoke pretty well about that yesterday in his press conference. But was very careful with the language he used. Unlike the bogan Sicily from Melton.

I was just out on a short drive this morning, around the Bellarine Peninsula and when you get that little bit out from the built up residential to the more rural area, I was thinking exactly of the above and of Rhys's post

Geelong may have a slight advantage over Tasmania/Hobart in that we have a few more guys drafted from the region who may be more open or looking to return to the region earlier in their careers - as we saw with Bruhn & O. Henry.

And I don't doubt there's a number of players that would have a similar mindset to Sicily & that Tasmania would be a bit too quiet for them, especially from say the younger guys who want the experience of the big city lifestyle

I also have no doubt there's a number that wouldn't mind a quieter lifestyle out of football, the opportunity to live not far from where they work but also in seemingly another world just a 20 minutes drive away - whether it's those that have moved on from wanting the big city scene, to those who were never into it, or those looking to settle down, family & considering what life after footy will look like

I'd give Tassie a better chance of recruiting players than either GC or GWS

I was just out on a short drive this morning, around the Bellarine Peninsula and when you get that little bit out from the built up residential to the more rural area, I was thinking exactly of the above and of Rhys's post

Geelong may have a slight advantage over Tasmania/Hobart in that we have a few more guys drafted from the region who may be more open or looking to return to the region earlier in their careers - as we saw with Bruhn & O. Henry.

And while I don't doubt there's a number of players that would have a similar mindset to Sicily & that Tasmania would be a bit too quiet for them, especially from say the younger guys who want the experience of the big city lifestyle.

I also have no doubt there's a number that wouldn't mind a quieter lifestyle out of football, the opportunity to live not far from where they work but also in seemingly another world just a 20 minutes drive away - whether it's those that have moved on from wanting the big city scene, to those who were never into it, or those looking to settle down, family & considering what life after footy will look like

I'd give Tassie a better chance of recruiting players than either GC or GWS
Plus the locals much like Geelong will look after the players very well while giving them privacy

I can really see the potential similarities between us and Tassie …the harder sell will be the younger players but if they are successful down there the players will be well regarded in the area post football career imo

That's his farm on the outskirts of Geelong. Mount Moriac in the background so he's not far from Hawkins, who also posts and often has same outlook in the background. Jezza not far from there on a property at Freshwater Creek. They're all around a 20-25 min drive to GMHBA. Not many clubs can sell that to players ............ Surfcoast / Torquay also home to a fair chunk of players about the same distance from the club.
they need to put together an offseason rodeo out there :laughv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back