Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

You will not be happy with the Gold Coast kids on the way then...

No update yet
The way for me to be accepting of it is to come to the realisation the AFL is a business that is out to make money and achieve growth. Queensland and NSW are expansion growth markets. The AFL will do everything in its power to ensure teams in those states are competitive to keep driving interest and members.

The AFL only cares about equality for teams in non growth states.

It is the exact same treatment the NRL gives Melbourne storm to ensure the melbourne team stays competitive.

The AFL is terrified of its NSW or queensland teams doing poorly, as its bad for the growth of memberships and interest in those states

The way for me to be accepting of it is to come to the realisation the AFL is a business that is out to make money and achieve growth. Queensland and NSW are expansion growth markets. The AFL will do everything in its power to ensure teams in those states are competitive to keep driving interest and members.

The AFL only cares about equality for teams in non growth states.

It is the exact same treatment the NRL gives Melbourne storm to ensure the melbourne team stays competitive.

The AFL is terrified of its NSW or queensland teams doing poorly, as its bad for the growth of memberships and interest in those states

Everyone will see it differently.. and there are elments of what you say which is probably correct. I have no real concept of what the NRL do to favour Melb Storm , I always get the feeling they are begrudgingly accept them as they are successful but would prefer to have to Syd clubs in their GF.

The AFL is very much conscious that they are in a war for talent and eyes.. and that the most untapped eyes and talent lay north of the Murray. Its take a long time , 14 years but it seems now they have switched on a talent stream up in qld..if reports of juniors is to be believed.

The success of Gold Coast is probably needed to keep the growth on track.

I have no real issue with the concept of developing talent up there and them getting access to it, as in theory it should mean more victorian talent for everyone else. IF the talent stream becomes an overloaded tactical advantage then perhaps they revise it but till they play finals, till they win finals and perhaps win a flag..it will be hard to make the argument that they are vesuvius and the rest of us are pompeii.

I would agree that we could revise the points system… and perhaps we could look at capping the number of players taken each year. Does any side need a discount when the player is as highly rated as Walter. The to get another three ..really is like not just double dipping but quadruple dipping. I cant remember another example ..outside of list setup when a club got 4 players like GC did last year … but for the moment.. I cant see anything being done to wind down a system that has taken a lot of effort to build.

Comparing qld and nsw to Tas will be noteworthy to see how the afl act. I suspect tehy will want them to be a legit side far quicker than either of the other new sides.

I like what Tony Cochrane said about academies. Considering a new side coming. the answer is to have more acadmies not less. Id happily support a western victoria academy which geelong could some sort of access to. Why not. The same argument about talent could be made is that if there is more Vic talent for Voictorian clubs probably means there is more for everyon else.. as they would be spill over.

Is he the only one? (Highly rated when drafted)

Hawkins was the highest rated … Larke medalist etc.. add to him that the system back then allowed us still pick Selwood huge win..

But our other father Sons…. even GA … was not rated as high as him. There were a bit like Zac Guthrie… in that at the start they were no obvious gun player but he now looks like being on the way to being one of our best.

We are going back a bit now. Clarifying how our FS’s fit in the draft is far more exact these days back then there was less concentration on it. I think most seem to think GA might have been R2. Blake and Woolnough were reasonably rated but I can remember phantoms drafts back then.

The likes of the Dogs … and the upcoming draft for the Lions have had more very early Father sons than us.

Everyone will see it differently.. and there are elments of what you say which is probably correct. I have no real concept of what the NRL do to favour Melb Storm , I always get the feeling they are begrudgingly accept them as they are successful but would prefer to have to Syd clubs in their GF.

The AFL is very much conscious that they are in a war for talent and eyes.. and that the most untapped eyes and talent lay north of the Murray. Its take a long time , 14 years but it seems now they have switched on a talent stream up in qld..if reports of juniors is to be believed.

The success of Gold Coast is probably needed to keep the growth on track.

I have no real issue with the concept of developing talent up there and them getting access to it, as in theory it should mean more victorian talent for everyone else. IF the talent stream becomes an overloaded tactical advantage then perhaps they revise it but till they play finals, till they win finals and perhaps win a flag..it will be hard to make the argument that they are vesuvius and the rest of us are pompeii.

I would agree that we could revise the points system… and perhaps we could look at capping the number of players taken each year. Does any side need a discount when the player is as highly rated as Walter. The to get another three ..really is like not just double dipping but quadruple dipping. I cant remember another example ..outside of list setup when a club got 4 players like GC did last year … but for the moment.. I cant see anything being done to wind down a system that has taken a lot of effort to build.

Comparing qld and nsw to Tas will be noteworthy to see how the afl act. I suspect tehy will want them to be a legit side far quicker than either of the other new sides.

I like what Tony Cochrane said about academies. Considering a new side coming. the answer is to have more acadmies not less. Id happily support a western victoria academy which geelong could some sort of access to. Why not. The same argument about talent could be made is that if there is more Vic talent for Voictorian clubs probably means there is more for everyon else.. as they would be spill over.
I agree with most of this and i dont see academies a problem, i see having only a handful of sides real in the benefit the problem. As eddie mguire said and i agree with him, if its about growing the game, then let's let everyone invest in it and help grow the game. Why limit academies to only a small handful of resources??

If the argument is about growing the game through participation, then lets establish academies everywhere and allow all 18 clubs to do so. Why limit it to a small handful getting an unfair advantage?? Sydney swans being the clear exame of this with prolonged success due to the academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back