Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney looked very good, Carlton usually run all over a team for a half after a start like that then win by 3 points.

Sydney look like our biggest challenger for this year's premiership.
I think Collingwood’s recent form is almost as ominous as Sydney’s. They’re the two clubs for me.

Although I worry about our depth of AFL quality players, I do think we have the cattle to be a genuine contender in another coaching group’s hands. Especially if we get Mead, Burgoyne and Sinn playing to a high level and Wines back into ripping form.

What am I missing? Why do so many people rate GWS as a contender?

So far they have only beaten an out of form Collingwood, whilst going down to Carlton, Sydney and Essendon and stumbling over the line against the saints.

Everyone gives Port the “flat track bullies” tag, even though they dismantled Essendon and beat Geelong in Geelong… Why isn’t GWS getting this tag as well?

Because they finished very strong last year and looked great early. Have copped some injuries plus suspension and a few out of form atm.

Reckon they'll get rolling later in the season

Chad Warner is the AFL's new The Chad. Only watched the last quarter and a bit, he was good, but I obviously missed his great stuff, as he got a rare rating of over 30 - 31.2.

Chad Warner is the AFL's new The Chad. Only watched the last quarter and a bit, he was good, but I obviously missed his great stuff, as he got a rare rating of over 30 - 31.2.
His third quarter was incredible. Think Butters vs Melbourne 2023, or Rozee vs Essendon first half 2024. Power, speed and skill was off the charts.

What am I missing? Why do so many people rate GWS as a contender?

So far they have only beaten an out of form Collingwood, whilst going down to Carlton, Sydney and Essendon and stumbling over the line against the saints.

Everyone gives Port the “flat track bullies” tag, even though they dismantled Essendon and beat Geelong in Geelong… Why isn’t GWS getting this tag as well?
I think its mostly due to their 2023. They were a bees dick off a GF appearance and probably would have been right there with Brisbane had they made it. They looked like a team on the way up and it takes a bit to shift that expectation.

Sydney are a better side without Buddy. Hints to what we could be without the Dixon focus, but will our players step up?

McDonald is about the same as last year, Armartey and McLean have improved but not that much. Its been their smaller forwards who have stepped up, Hayward and Heeney in particular, and Warner has pushed forward and kicked 15 goals in 10 games, where he kicked 15 in 21 games last year. Papely is about the same as last year.

So do we have the same smart small forwards to become more effective like Sydney, when the go to man leaves? I have my doubts. Maybe Rozee spending 50% up forward might help.

People underestimate how much star power there is at GWS. They are loaded with talent. They've lost a lot of players to Vic clubs in particular but they always get multiple early picks back and they choose well. Plus they have an academy they can pick the eyes out of, which other clubs are finally waking up to.

I'm not as bullish on Kingsley as a coach as others, because he has landed on his feet in that job.

Chad Warner cracks me up. He would need a GPS to find his way from the car park to the change rooms but he sure can football. He does tend to get carried away with his ability to dodge and break tackles though and can get himself and his team mates tied up in knots. But he is great to watch.

Sydney are a better side without Buddy. Hints to what we could be without the Dixon focus, but will our players step up?

McDonald is about the same as last year, Armartey and McLean have improved but not that much. Its been their smaller forwards who have stepped up, Hayward and Heeney in particular, and Warner has pushed forward and kicked 15 goals in 10 games, where he kicked 15 in 21 games last year. Papely is about the same as last year.

So do we have the same smart small forwards to become more effective like Sydney, when the go to man leaves? I have my doubts. Maybe Rozee spending 50% up forward might help.
We just don’t have the quality of small forwards that Sydney, Collingwood, GWS and other sides have. Rioli at his best is at that level. SPP is a big loss. We’ll rely on using Rozee and JHF in stints up forward to get the polish we need to threaten other defences. It’s why Mead and Wines become such important mids.

We can’t and won’t keep beating them forever.
Obviously they are too good for that to happen.
Just your original statement was you wanted to see how Carlton went against us before deciding if they suck or not.
We’re not the measuring stick for every AFL team.
If we was then Sydney would be the worst side in the competition because they haven’t beaten us for 7 years.
Even norf are a better side than Sydney if you’re going to use that way of thinking.
Bottom line is no matter how Carlton go against us they still suck, have sucked all this century.
Last year was the first time they played finals in 10 years.
They suck 100%.

People underestimate how much star power there is at GWS. They are loaded with talent. They've lost a lot of players to Vic clubs in particular but they always get multiple early picks back and they choose well. Plus they have an academy they can pick the eyes out of, which other clubs are finally waking up to.

I'm not as bullish on Kingsley as a coach as others, because he has landed on his feet in that job.
I remember writing a few years ago that GWS could finish top 4 and win flags for 20 years and they would still have at least one top 5 or top 10 pick for everyone of those 20 years, because a combo of their southern NSW academy and the fact they got so many first rounders in the first couple of years, and when one of them gets pinched by a Vic club, they trade and get a top 5 or top 10 pick, or a first round pick they can then convert in to a top 5 or top 10 pick.

The GC are similar but have stuffed it up more than GWS. Its why if Dimma gets it right he can build a dynasty side

It will be interesting to see what concessions Tassie get. Will they get 9 picks between 1 and 15 like GC and GWS? Can they sign 10 of the best 17 year olds outside the draft? I would expect them to loose less players than GC and GWS because they will live in a footy mad state and the players will be treated like kings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember writing a few years ago that GWS could finish top 4 and win flags for 20 years and they would still have at least one top 5 or top 10 pick for everyone of those 20 years, because a combo of their southern NSW academy and the fact they got so many first rounders in the first couple of years, and when one of them gets pinched by a Vic club, they trade and get a top 5 or top 10 pick, or a first round pick they can then convert in to a top 5 or top 10 pick.

The GC are similar but have stuffed it up more than GWS. Its why if Dimma gets it right he can build a dynasty side

It will be interesting to see what concessions Tassie get. Will they get 9 picks between 1 and 15 like GC and GWS? Can they sign 10 of the best 17 year olds outside the draft? I would expect them to loose less players than GC and GWS because they will live in a footy mad state and the players will be treated like kings.

They just keep producing ruckmen too.

GREATER Western Sydney Academy prospect Logan Smith is shaping as one of the first northern Academy players picked in this year's draft after a dominant start to the season.

The 204cm ruckman is a member of the Giants Academy and this week was selected in the Allies squad for the mid-year under-18 championships.

His form for the Giants in their Coates Talent League performances stood out to rival recruiters, with Smith playing three games and averaging 18 disposals and 27 hitouts.

His best performance came in round six against the Murray Bushrangers, when he had 24 disposals, eight clearances and 22 hitouts.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130501...s-trigger-package-deal-close-young-dogs-offer

What I want to know is this supposed GWS vs Doggies rivalry really a thing, or a confection? Was there some dastardly event in a game between the two, or did one of them end the other's season one year, or what?

2016 preliminary was the start of it, pretty epic game.

The 2019 elimination final between GWS and Bulldogs was brutal. Toby lucky not to get matches for raking the eyes of Bont.

Even before that, Callan Ward leaving the Dogs for GWS, Dogs captain Ryan Griffen walking out on the club for GWS, #1 draft pick Tom Boyd walking out on GWS after one year for the Dogs etc.

Greene eye gouging Bontempelli in a final, Greene karate kicking Dahlhaus in the face, GWS sending Haynes to toss the coin with Bontempelli after Bontempelli had injured him in their previous game. So many great moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back