AFLW Port Adelaide vs Sydney - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I love seeing crowds back at Alberton, so I love the AFLW and the possible AFL Men's Reserve Competition. The place rocks with good crowds and I guess the just below 3K crowd (I read this on an AFL site) was good considering the weather and the lack of Swan's supporters. Back in the good ole days of SANFL Magpies our numbers would average around 10K to 15K - I remember a Norwood game at around 22K.
Perhaps next home game I'll make the effort!
edit: I think that there is a cap on numbers allowed into Alberton?

I love seeing crowds back at Alberton, so I love the AFLW and the possible AFL Men's Reserve Competition. The place rocks with good crowds and I guess the just below 3K crowd (I read this on an AFL site) was good considering the weather and the lack of Swan's supporters. Back in the good ole days of SANFL Magpies our numbers would average around 10K to 15K - I remember a Norwood game at around 22K.
Perhaps next home game I'll make the effort!
edit: I think that there is a cap on numbers allowed into Alberton?

Went to the Club 1870 event at the bowling club, so watched the first half from there. Met JB1989 and his girlfriend there and stood outside under the veranda to avoid the rain that started about 10 minutes before the game, stopped, then came down hard a couple of more times in the opening half.

I got to the event late. but saw Gemma Houghton speaking and then saw Gemma around the place a few times during the day. She was wearing her footy shorts and I wouldn't be surprised if she had her footy jumper on under her track suit top. She looked all ready to go despite her ankle injury.

Was hoping we won the toss and kicked with the gale to the southern end to build momentum early, and kick a few goals and then if it rained, it might be a 4 or 5 goals to 2 goals type game.

I said to JB1989, that #7 for the swans looks like a big solid giant and with McGrath out, I thought she might dominate. Ally Morphett is her name, but she didn't, as Levicki matched her in the ruck and she didn't do much else all day. I was surprised she is listed at 188cm, as she looked about 15cm taller than Amelie Borg who is 177cm, when she rested in the forward line in the 2nd quarter, not far from where we were watching.

Was good watching the 1st quarter at the bowling club end, watched about half of the 2nd quarter inside on TV eating lunch, as not much action down our end, then watched the 2nd half in front of the Williams stand.

Our hard nuts were on song early in the wet, windy conditions - Moloney, Dorwick, Yorston, O'Dea, Ewings and Erin was putting in a lot bigger effort up forward than she was able to do in the first couple of games in the middle. JB1989 was very happy when DeMello marked the ball in the goal square and he won the first goal kicker raffle prize. Very casual approach to kicking for goal by Jade.

The Chef served up her elite kicking for the first time for all game, during a match this year. Then throw in the clearances and tackling. She has missed a few easy shots on goal and has rushed her field kicking and turned over the ball in prior games. It wasn't just the long goal and the other two goals she kicked, but she punched the ball low, hard and accurately 35-40m into the wind 3 or 4 times in the 2nd and 4th quarter. When I started watching videos of Hannah earlier this year, it wasn't just her footy that caught my eye but when she puts on a big cheesy smile she reminds me of my best mate's on again off again girlfriend the first few years we both lived in Sydney in the early 90's.

What was pleasing was that we had a strong outside game, all game yesterday. The poor quality of the oppo helped, but that has been an issue for us so far this year, that we do the hard inside contested stuff well, but don't attack enough on the outside. Hopefully a break through win increases their confidence to play more outside attacking footy.

I thought our 2nd quarter might have been our most important quarter this year. With the strong breeze, not giving Sydney a sniff, it meant we could set up and win the game in the 3rd quarter. Then the 3rd quarter was brilliant domination and conversion. Sydney were broken by 3/4 time.

I passed Britt Perry in the car park at Alberton a few weeks ago, said g'day, didn't know who she was, but saw she had #33 on her back pack and thought, gee she is a tiny girl, slim and not that tall. But on TV she looks like a good solid player by AFLW standard. That late first quarter goal was very handy in the last few seconds of the quarter, as it would have been disappointing to only have 2 goals on the board with such a strong wind.

Yasmin Duursma I don't think understands she is a left footer, or more so the advantage she has as a left footer. A few times she for some reason turned onto her right side to try and get past an opponent, where if she went onto her left, I'm sure female opponents would be as poor as male opponents from stopping a left footer. She has a beautiful kick.

A case of all played well. Hopefully we get another 2 or 3 games this year like that, where the all played well sign goes up and we win by about 6 goals.

Last edited:
Bloody typical playing on the gold coast before a short turn around for the showdown.

At least the oppo will have the same short turnaround, albeit without the travel. The Showdown is on 30 September - maybe that's the last day that footy can use Adelaide Oval before cricket gets control.

We get:
1. Adelaide
2. The other 3 expansion sides, who all play each other
3. Another 6 sides - heavily biased towards those in the bottom half of the ladder last season: 14th, 13th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 4th
I would need to check on the others, but 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 13th, 14th looks balanced to me.

I would need to check on the others, but 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 13th, 14th looks balanced to me.
Adelaide were minor and major premiers so 1st, 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th 13th, and 14th

The best 3 sides over the history of AFLW, remembering that 2020 season was cancelled after 1st week of 3 weeks of finals, are ;

Adelaide 3 flags inc 2022 + a GF in 2021 + another finals series in 2020, = finals 5 of 6 seasons
Brisbane 1 flag in 2021 + 2 GFs 2017-18 + another finals series in 2020 were 3rd in 2022, = finals 5 of 6 seasons
Melbourne 1 GF in 2022, 2 x 3rds when only top 2 made the finals and made finals in 2020-21-22 when it was top 6 finals.

Western Bulldogs won 1 flag in 2018, and were 8th in 2022

Port play Adelaide and Western Bulldogs and North who finished 4th last year
1,4,7,8,10,13,14 = 57 + 3 new sides

Sydney only play North 4th but Collingwood and Fremantle arguably the 5th and 6th best side in AFLW history so from last year
4,5,6,9,10,12,13 = 59 + 3 new sides

Hawthorn play Brisbane of top 4 and Fremantle
3,5,8,9,11,13,14 = 63 + 3 new sides

Essendon play Melbourne and Brisbane and collingwood
2,3,6,7,11,12,14 = 55 + 3 new sides so they have the toughest draw of the new sides.

St Kilda 13th last year and WC 14th both play against 3 of the 4 new sides

Bris(3th), Carl(7th), Col(6th), Freo(5th), GC(10th), NM(4th), Rich(11th) and Western Bulldogs(8th) play 2 new sides

Adel(1st), Gee(12th), GWS(9th) and Melb(2nd) play against 1 new side

Inaugural 8 sides in bold.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back