Preview Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - Round 1 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - this time in a fortnight, we should have a very clear indication of where we sit this season. One spot I definitely WON'T be sitting is in my seat at Adelaide Oval, and until I have a good reason to return, I'll continue to watch the games on TV - assuming they're worth watching (which is no guarantee).

Great foresight by the AFL and Ch 7..… biggest opening round in years apparently

maybe because all Melb teams in Melbourne rd 1. No one will be watching us.

Great foresight by the AFL and Ch 7..… biggest opening round in years apparently

maybe because all Melb teams in Melbourne rd 1. No one will be watching us.

Haha yes - even the poor relations N0rf and St Kilda both get to play at home thanks to Ed Sheeran booking out Optus that weekend.

It's never been more obvious our players and coaching staff are out of ideas. We refuse to rebuild our gameplan and keep banging our heads up against a brick wall, expecting different results doing the same thing.

The other glaring concern is 2 preseasons in a row that have led to early season performances where our players look surprised by the AFL level intensity and underprepared for it. For mine, this is a stale coaching thing. Our players are comfortable, they believe their hype and they cruise through preseason, into the games and just expect to be successful. Nothing is sparking them to push harder or step it up a notch, they're comfortable and they play like it. Literally re-watch the preseason so far and watch how many times players were just jogging and trying to execute. Houston gave a perfect example on the weekend, clearly being closed down and he's just jogging and taking his time to kick before being smothered. Our boys are just not prepared, they don't train at the right intensity levels and they are way too comfortable with our current regime.

The warning signs are brighter than the AO lights, we are literally 3-4 weeks away from planning for 2024 and as much as I want Hinkley gone it's devastating to know we will have to sit through this s**t for a whole year, without even having our new coach and plans in place.
Its looking more and more likely that we don't have anybody that can rebuild our gameplan even if we wanted to.

If Brisbane stay full-throttle, it's an 8-10 goal win. Chances are they kill it as a contest by half-time and win by 4-6, which will be enough for Donuts to say is "a good performance against a Premiership contender from our young group that will keep working hard".

Ken is all over this morning's press saying we will be switched on. According to Ken, we just need to be 'better than we were today'.
Tell us something we don't know Ken. :(
It makes you wonder why he didn't think k of that genius strategy over the last decade.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this board will spontaneously combust if we win. The cognitive dissonance between Brisbane being a super team that will smash us by X amount of goals and losing vs Hinkley being a shit coach and winning will be like an AI trying to process a logical paradox.

Contemporary Port is probably the only example in professional sport I can think of, where the senior players and head coach repeatedly and proudly say the quiet part out loud (it’s just a game, ultimately there are more important things in life).

And don’t the results speak for themselves.
Playing football for Port is what a lot of our players do in their spare time to earn the money to make wine, race cars or commit to their true passion.

I think this board will spontaneously combust if we win. The cognitive dissonance between Brisbane being a super team that will smash us by X amount of goals and losing vs Hinkley being a s**t coach and winning will be like an AI trying to process a logical paradox.
Pretty sure everyone will just say sack hinkley.

I think this board will spontaneously combust if we win. The cognitive dissonance between Brisbane being a super team that will smash us by X amount of goals and losing vs Hinkley being a s**t coach and winning will be like an AI trying to process a logical paradox.

This is exactly what an AI bot would post.

It's a home game.

We should win.

We've seen that time and time again. Crap performance away followed by a quality performance at home.

I still expect us to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If is a the key word here

I don't understand why the team both players and coaches have been so blasè in their attitudes this pre season. It is as if their approach is that they'll use the first month of the season to get acclimated and work from there. They've literally learned nothing from 12 months ago despite once again a reshuffling of the assistant coaching roles.

Of course, if they magically show up and it clicks I'll give them all the credit. But as it stands, I fully expect to see Port get thrashed against the Lions.

Stylistically they're getting beaten out the back so frequently it's a carbon copy of 2016 when Bassett was defensive coach, and surprise, surprise we are seeing it now with Bassett back as defensive coach.

Brisbane was my pick for last year's flag, they're ostensibly better this year and have money on them again.

Can't see us getting over the line. Their forward line is legit scary when you match it up against our defence.

Daniher - Aliir :think:
Hipwood - McKenzie :huh:
Gunstan - Jonas :oops:
Cameron - DBJ :eek:
Rayner/Zorko - Burton
McCarthy - Burgoyne

Last edited:
I think hipwood might miss because of injury

50 point loss unless the lions put there feet up in the 4th qtr

Lions still won't win in finals for me hipwood and daniher have talent but daniher can't kick straight and hipwood when not playing port is iffy

Lucky for all concerned the possibility of us winning is less likely than Skynet solving said paradox

We will lose and Hinkley will BS his way thru the presser with the same platitudes he shits out everytime we have the chance to actually achieve something and don’t

Urgh season hasn’t started and I’m already depressed

Speak for yourself m8. If we beat Brisbane I'll forget the previous 10 seasons happened and will treat it as day 0 of the new Hinks regime.
So years of trends can be thrown out the window with 1 result in the most flakiest of rounds there is. Wow, you're easy.

The round 23 2021 win over the Dogs was the game I brought back in for the 100th time after a sustained period. Gong to take a lot more than 1 win to get me believing again. Hell it'll take a completely different outlook on field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back