Please explain!

Remove this Banner Ad

there is another rule which i am not happy about at the last quater before the siren goes they play keepings off so the other team can't get another goal i think that rule should change i really do and i could not believe it in a couple of minutes essedon came back which i thought coillingwood was going to win oh well next time

The umpiring was fine, we deserved to lose.

Poor coaching and gameplan is to blame, leaving the corridor unprotected is beyond stupid in the modern game.
Just watching Josh Frasers performance now. I think I just realised why you lost.

there is another rule which i am not happy about at the last quater before the siren goes they play keepings off so the other team can't get another goal i think that rule should change i really do and i could not believe it in a couple of minutes essedon came back which i thought coillingwood was going to win oh well next time
What would you suggest? A maximum amount of kicks before a team gives up the ball? No backwards kicking?

There's not much to do about it, unfortunately.

What would you suggest? A maximum amount of kicks before a team gives up the ball? No backwards kicking?

There's not much to do about it, unfortunately.

Sure there is. The simplest solution is for the opposition to man up instead of playing a zone.

There are the same amount of players on the ground, if there's a free man to get a cheap kick, who's fault is it really?

I think the only rule I need clarified is the holding/dropping the ball. Is there such thing as dropping the ball, because over the three games this week I have seen about 10 instances when a player gets tackled and then just lets the ball go... surely this is incorrect disposal? or not.

I think that is a rule that is really hard to understand, does anybody out there have the answer?

No there is no such thing as dropping the ball.
There is holding the ball.
There is incorrect disposal.

Incorrect disposal occurs when a player, having had an opportunity to dispose of the ball is tackled and then disposes incorrectly. It should not be paid if the ball is knocked out of his possession, which is what often occurs. There is no free if a player simply loses possession.

No there is no such thing as dropping the ball.
There is holding the ball.
There is incorrect disposal.

Incorrect disposal occurs when a player, having had an opportunity to dispose of the ball is tackled and then disposes incorrectly. It should not be paid if the ball is knocked out of his possession, which is what often occurs. There is no free if a player simply loses possession.

I think the far more annoying one is, when a player is tackled in the act of kicking the ball, so that the ball misses the foot completely and is dropped to the ground... and some umpires call it "Holding the man" because he was "tackled without the ball". I've seen it paid like that more than once this season already, and it's infuriating.

oh well, cop it. Weekly hawthorn get the wrong calls.

e.g.

when a player is taken down without it, it should be 50m. The umpire calls advantage (the wrong call) and within seconds, we are tackled and holding the ball. where is the advantage?

In the back, dont get me started! i think for the first time this yr franklin got paid one.

Afl rules are. Entertainment>>> sport

Another issue, this is with the advantage rule, umpire pays a free kick, everyone stops... Team A is awarded the free kick, and a player from Team A grabs the ball and runs past 3 Team B players (who dont try to tackle him), kicks a goal. And then if the Team B players do tackle him Team B will sometimes be awarded a 50 metre penalty.
This one annoys the f^&&% out of me!!! The umpires pretty much give an advantage to whoever can work out the quickest which way their confusing decisions are going!

Its just wrong and disadvantages the team without the ball. :thumbsdown: There has to be a better way to play advantage.

Another issue, this is with the advantage rule, umpire pays a free kick, everyone stops... Team A is awarded the free kick, and a player from Team A grabs the ball and runs past 3 Team B players (who dont try to tackle him), kicks a goal. And then if the Team B players do tackle him Team B will sometimes be awarded a 50 metre penalty.

This has never happened. Your confusing situations, the advantage rule has never been the cause of a 50 metre penalty as you state it here, if the players tackle him and there is no advantage it goes back to take the free kick. I've even seen players run on and kick a goal and it is still taken back to take the free kick.

Sometimes a player can be done for a 50m penalty if they think the player is playing on but the umpire deems that he wasn't trying to. It's not the rule, it's the umpires interpretation. Umpiring is not easy and although there are some poor decisions made you have to remember it is a fast game and split second decisions are never easy to make.

I think the only rule I need clarified is the holding/dropping the ball. Is there such thing as dropping the ball, because over the three games this week I have seen about 10 instances when a player gets tackled and then just lets the ball go... surely this is incorrect disposal? or not.

I think that is a rule that is really hard to understand, does anybody out there have the answer?

As explained by others if the ball is knocked out in the contest there is no dropping called. If you listen to what the umpires say during the game they usually say something like "came out in the contest, play on". They usually only call the clear cut ones when some one has one arm pinned and the other arm is away from the body and the player drops it. It's up to players not to get caught like that and then if they get called for it. When they get called for the ones that happen in the contest is when it gets confusing, but umpires make mistakes.

I wish you could take the sub-human error factor out of it, but you just can't.

I long for the days when umpires didn't have numbers and they weren't announced before the games. The only way we knew their names was because they were good at what they did. It all just feeds into their awareness of self importance.

the advantage rule has never been the cause of a 50 metre penalty as you state it here, if the players tackle him and there is no advantage it goes back to take the free kick. I've even seen players run on and kick a goal and it is still taken back to take the free kick.

It still doesn't explain the stupidity of the rule. The umpire blows the whistle so all players stop and look at the ump. At some point, one of the players thinks he knows which way the decision is going so plays on. If he is right, he gets an advantage because all the oppostion are still trying to work it out, if he is wrong and he kicks it, it is a 50mtr penalty against his side.

The advantage rule is nonsensical and BIZZARE (that's being kind)!

It still doesn't explain the stupidity of the rule. The umpire blows the whistle so all players stop and look at the ump. At some point, one of the players thinks he knows which way the decision is going so plays on. If he is right, he gets an advantage because all the oppostion are still trying to work it out, if he is wrong and he kicks it, it is a 50mtr penalty against his side.

The advantage rule is an important improvement in the game, EXCEPT the blowing of the whistle creates the problem. In other sports advantage is called and the whistle is blown ONLY IF the advantage does not eventuate.

This would mean if the whistle blows everyone stops as THEY SHOULD, but real advantage could be called without the interference of the umpires whistle.

This has never happened. Your confusing situations, the advantage rule has never been the cause of a 50 metre penalty as you state it here, if the players tackle him and there is no advantage it goes back to take the free kick. I've even seen players run on and kick a goal and it is still taken back to take the free kick.

Sometimes a player can be done for a 50m penalty if they think the player is playing on but the umpire deems that he wasn't trying to. It's not the rule, it's the umpires interpretation. Umpiring is not easy and although there are some poor decisions made you have to remember it is a fast game and split second decisions are never easy to make.

I have seen a few 50 metre penalties payed when the ball spills out (say from a holding the ball) to a player who is on the team receiving the free, and he gets held up and sometimes tackled to make sure he doesn't run away with it.

yea i hate it when that happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with the play on rule is the time taken between the whistle being blown and the 'play on' call. It has to be instantaneous. Impossible to do as it takes time to remove the whistle and call "play on". It might only be half a second but in that time players either stop, slow down, or move to go in either a defensive or attacking mode.

A solution might be for one umpire to blow his whistle and another ump to call "play on".

If you take a mark (as rocca did) heard an umpires whistle (thought he payed the mark) played on kicked a goal (as rocca did) then realise the umpires whistle was for a free kick not for a mark umpire gives a 50 metre penalty... This happens every week, and today possibly cost Collingwood the game, I would hate to see a GF decided like this.

I agree that umpires should maybe show a little bit more understanding of players genuinely thinking that it is thier free kick and making a split second decision to kick at goal but that doesn't apply to the Rocca situation. He clearly looked around at the umpire as he was running away and still chose to kick it through. I think the mark should have been paid but given that it wasn't 50 metres was the right call.

Spot on. The umpires are very strict on this and will nearly always pay the extra 50 when this occurs making it a double penalty. They need to read the play a bit better and only penalise it when they're sure the player is deliberately wasting time or being petulant.

The advantage rule is an important improvement in the game, EXCEPT the blowing of the whistle creates the problem. In other sports advantage is called and the whistle is blown ONLY IF the advantage does not eventuate.

This would mean if the whistle blows everyone stops as THEY SHOULD, but real advantage could be called without the interference of the umpires whistle.

This would solve the problem immediately. The umpire can do the play on signal they use (this let's the spectators and the commentators know what's happening) and call 'advantage' (this will let the players know what's happening) and only blow the whistle when the advantage is lost. This is something the rules of the game panel should look into. The advantage rule is one of the better innovations but the 'double penalty' imbalance needs to be ironed out and your solution does this.

Spot on. The umpires are very strict on this and will nearly always pay the extra 50 when this occurs making it a double penalty. They need to read the play a bit better and only penalise it when they're sure the player is deliberately wasting time or being petulant.

This would solve the problem immediately. The umpire can do the play on signal they use (this let's the spectators and the commentators know what's happening) and call 'advantage' (this will let the players know what's happening) and only blow the whistle when the advantage is lost. This is something the rules of the game panel should look into. The advantage rule is one of the better innovations but the 'double penalty' imbalance needs to be ironed out and your solution does this.

Which is the way they do it in EVERY other sport in the world. The way we do it now the umpires sometimes artificially CREATE the advantage for one team. It also gives them a good reason to be miked up!

Sorry, i agree that it is important. I meant the way we impliement it in AFL is nonsensical and bizzare. As i said above, sometimes the umpires actually create the advantage for one side by stopping all the oppostion players.

Sorry, i agree that it is important. I meant the way we impliement it in AFL is nonsensical and bizzare. As i said above, sometimes the umpires actually create the advantage for one side by stopping all the oppostion players.

I agree. Advantage should apply wherever possible BUT play must be continuous for everyone.

This is 100% true, but how can you do this? Especially when there are easy 50m penalties to give away.

They could call out things like "advantage for head high, advantage for push out", advantage for hands in the back" etc without actually blowing the whistle. It would justify the umpires being miked up!

There also has to be continuity in play for an advantage to be paid but i don't know how many time i see someone run in and pick the ball up while the umpire is explaining his decision to 3 other players. As i said earlier, IT IS JUST BIZZARE:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back