Team Mgmt. Players on the comeback trail

Remove this Banner Ad

I was under the impressions that a grade 3 Medial tear was at least a 12 week injury but hey, if it means that Sam's back early then I'm happy to be wrong.

That's great news! Happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt he will be back and 100% for finals, his tank is already questionable and isn't really a sub type impact player. However he should be able to have an uninterrupted pre-season and be fighting fit come round 1, 2012.

Great news for Sammy! They wouldn't be bringing him back just to play VFL, and Hirdy has said there's difficulty playing him next week as he hasn't qualified for VFL finals.

Must have had two medial ligaments in the leg, instead of one.

Breeding with family makes genetic freaks, Mitch Robinson was born without an occipital lobe

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Lonergan-set-to-return-for-Bendigo/8519

Amazingly quick return to footy from Sammy. If he plays well for Bendigo do you think we could see him come back to the senior side for Week 1 of finals?

Absolutely I would, if he stands up for Bendigo and without any concerns coming out after the game. I would definitely play him. I thought he was really good in the first half of the year before he got injured. Can be another midfield rotation and can go forward and kick goals!

Absolutely I would, if he stands up for Bendigo and without any concerns coming out after the game. I would definitely play him. I thought he was really good in the first half of the year before he got injured. Can be another midfield rotation and can go forward and kick goals!

My thoughts exactly - will also be a good reserve in case of injury too. We have to remember he will be able to play for Bendigo 1st week of finals (I'm guessing they come straight after the H&A season) when Essendon have a bye.

Depends on the injuries / fitness of a few players I'd say, but if he runs out the Bendigo game and does great things with it I'd like to see him come in for the Carlscum.

I spoke to Sammy at the Port Melbourne v Bendigo game about hi injury. Told me he was well on track and hopeful of squeezing in a game ot 2 for Bendigo before the end of the season on the chance we made finals. Looks like he was spot on target. I don't see him making it back to the ones, but good on him.

PS. We were just discussing at work Ben Stratton from Hawks bing named also for Box Hill after a knee reco earlier this season. Is it worth the risk for these guys as realistically they are not going to be match fit for AFL finals.

If we can get 2 Bendigo games into Sammy he would be a great card to have up our sleeves for the finals. He might provide us with that bit of extra inside grunt against the likes of Bolton, Jack, Kennedy, Bird, Hannebery and McGlynn if we face the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand why he is playing to be honest. The season is coming to a close, and the worst thing that could happen to Sammy is for his knee to blow up again and potentially ruin his pre season.

I say, let this year slide and get fit and ready for Round 1.

Don't understand why he is playing to be honest. The season is coming to a close, and the worst thing that could happen to Sammy is for his knee to blow up again and potentially ruin his pre season.

I say, let this year slide and get fit and ready for Round 1.

This. :thumbsu:

Don't understand why he is playing? :eek: wow this place is getting crazier by the week.

We are about to play finals people. Any player or team worth their salt will try and get up for it.

Finals experience is crucial to becoming a better player and a better team.

If Sam can get two games under his belt then he might be cherry rip to come in in case of injuries or as a sub.

Personally I think constantly slamming the club and it's players is crazy but thats just me. :rolleyes:

It's all about risk against potential benefit for me and the risk outweighs any benefit to be gained by quite some margin.

Saw the first half of the Bendigo game and it looked like if he gets some match fitness he will be right in the mix.

Saw the first half of the Bendigo game and it looked like if he gets some match fitness he will be right in the mix.

Yeah, he looked alright out there really. Was moving and turning quite well. As you said, needs a few games under the belt.

Ive had a look at the players that will be coming back from injury in 2012. I'm interested in peoples thoughts on some of these guys -some have played many AFL games, others none and an unfortunate reality of the game is not all of them will make it back or get to the level we hoped. Lets hope some of these guys can though as Im sure they all have something to offer;-

Jason Winderlich
age rnd 1 2012: 27 height :188, weight: 82, Games: 98
ave disposal: 16.3, marks: 5.2, tackles: 3, goals: 0.5

Outside of Fletch is the 5th oldest player on the list. Has suffered from chronic back and now knee injuries. Brilliant link man at best, who in the past relied heavily on his pace to break open games. Reinvented himself as defensive forward in 2011 and will likely be aiming for a similar role again in 2012

Sam Lonergan
age rnd 1 2012: 25 height :182, weight: 80, Games: 65
ave disposal: 15.1, marks: 2.3, tackles: 3.8, goals: 0.5

In career best form in 2011 before being cut down by injury. Is super in close, and with the exception of Watson and maybe Hocking there is no one on the list who offers the grunt of this inside midfielder. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in endeavour and it will be great to see him back on the park again in 2012

Brent Prismall
age rnd 1 2012: 25 height :186, weight: 83, Games: 61
ave disposal: 19.9, marks: 4.8, tackles: 3.2, goals: 0.4

Much maligned outside midfielder who has been unable to cement his place in the side. Seems to mix his form, but club has stuck by him offering another contract even after his second major knee injury. No one questions his ability to find the ball, but its what he does with it that often leaves supporters with their hearts in their mouths. On last chance

Courtney Dempsey
age rnd 1 2012: 24 height :186, weight: 86, Games: 54
ave disposal: 15.5, marks: 3.6, tackles: 2.6, goals: 0.2

This smooth moving defender will be hoping for a change of luck in 2012. Was in good form in 2011 and his agility is the key to his game so hopefully his second knee injury does not have a big impact in this. Good over head for height and is skilled and versatile

Scott Gumbleton
age rnd 1 2012: 23 height :197, weight: 94, Games: 22
ave disposal: 9.7, marks: 5, tackles: 1.6, goals: 1

Has become the pin up boy for what can go wrong with a high draft pick. Promised much when he arrived at Windy Hill but has been unable to get on the park for a variety of reasons which in turn seems to have affected his confidence. With his height, tank and marking ability could prove all the doubters wrong, or end up on the football scrap heap. Lets hope its not the later

Anthony Long
age rnd 1 2012: 21 height :187, weight: 78, Games: 0
ave disposal: n/a

Unsighted in 2011 this relative of the great Michael Long is yet to debut and remains somewhat of a mystery. Must have shown something to keep his place on the list and hopefully he can at least string some games together at Bendigo in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back