Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Would I be right in assuming that some clubs pay all seniors a minimum rate?

E.g. $50 a game, $100 a win.

Is this common place at most clubs and what is the going rate?

NNG have just introduced the same method of basic match payments as Garfield this year. Not sure on exact $ or numbers of games, but it's all calculated on games played. Previously there were no basic match payments, just really good awards. Eg. $150 BOG, $100 2nd, $80 3rd etc. I reckon the new system is better.

NNG have just introduced the same method of basic match payments as Garfield this year. Not sure on exact $ or numbers of games, but it's all calculated on games played. Previously there were no basic match payments, just really good awards. Eg. $150 BOG, $100 2nd, $80 3rd etc. I reckon the new system is better.

I assume those awards were for non-paid players? And this games played method would be mainly to support the locals not on $$ per game.

Dont know how it works at nyora, i never got paid playing seniors for a game or a win in the past. Not sure how it works this year.

I think the paid players got a reduced amount if they won any of them.

Yeah, it gives some reward to those who have stuck around instead of going elsewhere where they perhaps could've been on $100 a game. Also, everyone gets an envelope on a Thursday/Saturday night now which can avoid a bit of embarrassment!

Its good system if you can afford it. I know years back at nyora it was put to commitee to pay everyone and got voted down, even local players were against it cos they said they would rather spend that money on a recruit and win a flag.

Doesnt matter how player payments are done people are not all going to agree on it, no proven formula to success either. Better off less people know who is getting paid and what they are paid. I dont think there is a footy club in australia that hasnt had problems when players have found out what others are getting paid.

Doesnt matter how player payments are done people are not all going to agree on it, no proven formula to success either. Better off less people know who is getting paid and what they are paid. I dont think there is a footy club in australia that hasnt had problems when players have found out what others are getting paid.

I think the trouble stems when you have really good local players not being paid and then all of a sudden the club go and recruit players who are borderline seniors and these blokes may be on $200-$300 a game. That has got to be a bitter pill for the local player to swallow.

I guess when every player in the team is payed there is going to be less problems, becasue everyone is at least getting something.

I think the trouble stems when you have really good local players not being paid and then all of a sudden the club go and recruit players who are borderline seniors and these blokes may be on $200-$300 a game. That has got to be a bitter pill for the local player to swallow.

I guess when every player in the team is payed there is going to be less problems, becasue everyone is at least getting something.

Yeah thats a good point, every club needs to look after the locals. But in the end as an 18-21 year old who is 15th-20th best player in the ones would they rather a premiership or getting $50 a week??

I know nyora looked after locals fairly well when we were successful and some players who had been on good cash were happy to take a cut to bring in others.

Every club is different, no system works perfectly.

I think back in 2000 or 2001, Nyora was paying $50 a win to the senior guys. Just one of those years where they were trying a different approach. We still recruited but were crap anyway. We only won a couple of games so the club ultimately cashed in.

Garfield last year was paying $100 a game, win lose or draw. $2200 minimum(plus coach etc) a week to get flogged and for one win all year I think.

I think back in 2000 or 2001, Nyora was paying $50 a win to the senior guys. Just one of those years where they were trying a different approach. We still recruited but were crap anyway. We only won a couple of games so the club ultimately cashed in.

Garfield last year was paying $100 a game, win lose or draw. $2200 minimum(plus coach etc) a week to get flogged and for one win all year I think.

That was true, but it also had a catch. For every training or club function missed, $50 was forfeited from that total. And judging by their side and results last year, I think they saved a bit!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I was playing at Yarra Junction (1997-2002), as non paid players we received an envelope with $20 a week. If you had a better game it might have more in it. As we had to paid fees, insurance etc, at the start of the season the envelopes would be empty, as the club took their fees out of it until you were paid up. I guess that $20 would be more like $50 these days. Its a good way for the club to make sure they get their fees paid up.

When I was playing at Yarra Junction (1997-2002), as non paid players we received an envelope with $20 a week. If you had a better game it might have more in it. As we had to paid fees, insurance etc, at the start of the season the envelopes would be empty, as the club took their fees out of it until you were paid up. I guess that $20 would be more like $50 these days. Its a good way for the club to make sure they get their fees paid up.
so really, you were a paid player then.....

Did anyone read in the sunday sun about Haywood running out of cash.All the big guns they signed during the year have gone,and will be interesting to see if Sinclair will stay to the end of the year.

Didn't read it but mum told me about it.

Apparently Mal Michael has sent the club broke and now won't continue to play there without getting his match fees.

If he is playing anything like he did for Nilma last year I reckon Haywood would be pretty pissed off at spending all the cash on someone who is nothing more than an average local footballer and someone who obviously doesn't give a stuff.

Would have been lucky to have been in Nilma's top 10 players last year or the top 50 players in the comp.

I hope a few EDFL clubs take note of what has happened to Haywood too. All well and good playing big money to players but what happens when the well runs dry. These blokes aren't going to stick around when the cheque-book ends. Clubs are better off investing time and effort into their local players.

Read the article, you ill-informed git.

If Heywood are stupid enough to go and recruit 4 ex-AFL players, and fly them in etc., without having enough money to do so, then it's their own fault.

Heard rumour that Sinclair may be back at Darnum next year.

Mal played a massive part in winning the flag last year. If you were a prospective Darnum recruit, and were told that Mal Michael's signature was on paper for the upcoming season, wouldn't you be pretty bloody keen?

He did more than enough on the field, and twice that, off it.

He did more than enough on the field, and twice that, off it.

Did nothing on the field. You would have expected a man on his salary to be in the top 5 players at his club. Yet last year I would say Cann, Chandler, Bergels, Martin x 2 were all better than him. Hell Steve Hoskin probably had more impact than him.

Agree it is the clubs (or more precisely the idiots running it) fault that they have signed up these players and can't pay them. However just saying if Mal is serving the half-hearted efforts that he did for Nilma last year the club would be pretty disappointed with what they got.

I will say it again, clubs are better off investing in developing their own local kids and then when the time is right getting two or three high quality imports in to help them win the flag.

NNG is going completely the right way about it. Nilma last year on the other hand, not so much. There is no point winning a premiership if there is going to be nobody left at the club to enjoy it.

There is no point winning a premiership if there is going to be nobody left at the club to enjoy it.

Funny you say that Surkin, Nilma must now have the smallest following out of any club in the competition. I don't remember playing an away game where the away team's support was literally 20-30 times that of the home team. There couldn't have been anymore than 15-20 Nilma Darnum supporters there on Saturday.

You make many valid points, but not being around the club last year, you were not privy to the off field value that he had. On the field, he got smashed whenever he went near the ball, and to be honest, had to work pretty hard to get his kicks.

Funny you say that Surkin, Nilma must now have the smallest following out of any club in the competition. I don't remember playing an away game where the away team's support was literally 20-30 times that of the home team. There couldn't have been anymore than 15-20 Nilma Darnum supporters there on Saturday.
So you're saying NNG had 600ish supporters at Darnum on Saturday?

Nilma have never had huge support but they are normally very loyal supporters, a few days there they had quite a few around the bar on the hill when we were flogging them by 200.

Who ya think has the biggest support home and away? NNG seem to have big crowds at home. They dont play at nyora so dont know if they travel or not. Buln the worst travellers in the league i reckon and worst for supporting the opposition at the bar.
Interesting at bunyip none of the twos hung around after the game, think there is a bit of tension between the ones and the twos, not a good situation for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back