Player Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the above list - another 17 senior list players off contract at end of 2016.
:eek:

10 vitals: Rich, Mayes, Taylor, Zorko, Green, Gardiner, Paparone, Clarke, Dawson + McGrath (all aged 19 - 26).
7 others: West, Bewick, Lester, McGuiness, Watts, Clayton + Merrett.

17 might seem a bit high but our senior list is 38 players and every year roughly a third to half will be off contract because of the popularity of two and three year deals. 17 is right in that area.

17 might seem a bit high but our senior list is 38 players and every year roughly a third to half will be off contract because of the popularity of two and three year deals. 17 is right in that area.
And if there are two things we have learnt this post season it is that good players will change clubs and it is not always to the detriment of the club they are leaving.

Note sure if this is the right place (maybe the re-signing thread)- mods, do what you need to do.

Just thinking about Dan Rich's reported 5y $3mill contract. It has come into criticism for being too long and for too much.

He has been on our list since 2009 so as I read it according to veterans list rules, by the third year of the contract 2019 roughly 125K or so a year would be outside the cap.
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/veteran-players

Assuming the reported contract is close to fact, I would think it could be broken down as follows:

2017 $800K, 2018 $600K, 2019 $600K ($475K in cap), 2020 $500K ($375K in cap), 2021 $500K ($375K in cap).

This does not seem too bad for someone of Rich's ability, his in cap salary might only be average by 2020. If this is how contracts for Rich Rockcliff Handley et al would work, front loaded but it should leave plenty of room for the inevitable big contracts for the future stars and even a recruit or two.

Obv there is some discussion over the length of contracts, particularly after what has happened with Justin Clarke and we were caught out with Voss's contract IIRC, but I think you just have to accept that it an inherent risk.

Note sure if this is the right place (maybe the re-signing thread)- mods, do what you need to do.

Just thinking about Dan Rich's reported 5y $3mill contract. It has come into criticism for being too long and for too much.

He has been on our list since 2009 so as I read it according to veterans list rules, by the third year of the contract 2019 roughly 125K or so a year would be outside the cap.
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/veteran-players

Assuming the reported contract is close to fact, I would think it could be broken down as follows:

2017 $800K, 2018 $600K, 2019 $600K ($475K in cap), 2020 $500K ($375K in cap), 2021 $500K ($375K in cap).

This does not seem too bad for someone of Rich's ability, his in cap salary might only be average by 2020. If this is how contracts for Rich Rockcliff Handley et al would work, front loaded but it should leave plenty of room for the inevitable big contracts for the future stars and even a recruit or two.

Obv there is some discussion over the length of contracts, particularly after what has happened with Justin Clarke and we were caught out with Voss's contract IIRC, but I think you just have to accept that it an inherent risk.
Veterans cap concessions are abolished as of next season

some updates for you :
Jarrod Berry : 2020
Tom Cutler : 2019
and I think you'll find Bell should be 2017 and Jansen 2018
Berry and Cutler have been updated although the current contract finishing years for Bell and Jansen are correct (you can check the links in the post).

Best 22 shown before brackets (Understudies in brackets).

Defenders: Andrews (Frost, Skinner)

Swingman: McStay (Walker)

Rebounders: Witherden, Mayes, Berry, Robertson, Hodge (Gardiner, Rich, Hanley)

Wingers: Cutler, Lester (Paparone, Allison, Dawson)

Midfielders: McCluggage, Robinson, Rockliff, DBeams, Zorko (Bastinac, CBeams, Keayes, Mathieson, Lyons)

Half Forwards: Cox, Cameron, Christensen, Taylor (Barrett, William, Harwood, Bell, Bewick)

Forwards: Schache, Hipwood (Eagles, Hammelman)

Rucks: Martin (McInerney)

Forward / Ruck: Smith (Ballenden)

RETAIN
Hanley
CBeams
Harwood
William (R)
McInerney (R)
Hammelman

DELIST
Clayton
Freeman
Close
Jansen
Hinge (R)
Grewar (R)

Best 22 shown before brackets (Understudies in brackets).

Defenders: Andrews (Frost, Skinner)

Swingman: McStay (Walker)

Rebounders: Witherden, Mayes, Berry, Robertson, Hodge (Gardiner, Rich, Hanley)

Wingers: Cutler, Lester (Paparone, Allison, Dawson)

Midfielders: McCluggage, Robinson, Rockliff, DBeams, Zorko (Bastinac, CBeams, Keayes, Mathieson, Lyons)

Half Forwards: Cox, Cameron, Christensen, Taylor (Barrett, William, Harwood, Bell, Bewick)

Forwards: Schache, Hipwood (Eagles, Hammelman)

Rucks: Martin (McInerney)

Forward / Ruck: Smith (Ballenden)

RETAIN
Hanley
CBeams
Harwood
William (R)
McInerney (R)
Hammelman

DELIST
Clayton
Freeman
Close
Jansen
Hinge (R)
Grewar (R)

Not a bad red, I would get rid of Harwood too! And walker... isn't an under study....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some quick work dlanod. Shouldn't it be Fullarton? That's the spelling given on club website.

:thumbsu:

Got it right in his own thread but wasn't copying and pasting here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year will be interesting

2019:
Dayne Beams
Ryan Bastinac
Stefan Martin
Rhys Mathieson
Sam Mayes
Lewis Taylor
Darcy Gardiner
Jack Frost
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays
Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons
Oscar McInerney (R)
Brandon Starcevich
Connor Ballenden
Luke Hodge
Tom Fullarton (R)
Allen Christensen

A few older guys, a couple we'd be happy to see that back of and the draft class of 2012.

How well we play in 2019 might well be huge when it comes to resigning ... if they can see we are building something great they will be more likely to stay ... if they see nothing to look forward to they might decide to get the loser fatigue card out of the way early...

I vote for option 'A' :)

Regarding Dayne Beams I do remember that he had signed a 5 year deal when he joined us in 2014, so that would make him out of contract at end of 2019. However recently David Noble and Greg Swann have said that there's 2 more years to go after this one, making him contracted until 2020.

Regarding Dayne Beams I do remember that he had signed a 5 year deal when he joined us in 2014, so that would make him out of contract at end of 2019. However recently David Noble and Greg Swann have said that there's 2 more years to go after this one, making him contracted until 2020.

Yeah Greg Swann said he definitely has 2 years left after this year on the roar deal so would be OOC in 2020.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back