Autopsy Pies v Kuwarna (Crows) - AFL Rd 10, 2024 - Sat May 18TH 1:45PM (M.C.G.)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

At a time when Umps are getting bagged constantly for poor decisons, its ironic you want to also bag them for getting a decision right.
It's just a level of saltiness that makes you look petty and unhinged.
Its when they choose to get it right that is telling.

The first paragraph is just bs.

He ran to far.... its a proven fact. Most have acknowledged it.

Then you say no one is arguing that he didn't run to far. What?? You just contradicted your last paragraph. Then you say something meaningless about 50 metre penalties that makes no sense.

Did he run too far by the rule book? Yes

Did he run any further than what is consistently allowed by the umpires? No

If you think that the rules should be being adjudicated to how it’s written that’s a perfectly fair and reasonable position. But if that’s the case then you need to acknowledge that that isn’t happening and that is where the anger and frustration comes from.

Did he run too far by the rule book? Yes

Did he run any further than what is consistently allowed by the umpires? No

If you think that the rules should be being adjudicated to how it’s written that’s a perfectly fair and reasonable position. But if that’s the case then you need to acknowledge that that isn’t happening and that is where the anger and frustration comes from.
I disagree with you second paragraph. You can normally get away with 15-20 metres but when you are pushing 25 metres you are getting pinged more likely then not and that was what happened.
No one would have even questioned it accept it was in the last few seconds of a very close game.
I think the rule is adjudicated just fine. The umpires give some leeway. If he was pinged for running 18 metres I would agree with you.

I count 13 steps which would put him at a 19.5 conservatively, but I get your point about the 15-20m distance.

I reckon I could, just off the top of my head there’s these two:

Both of which are on the AFL’s YouTube page suggesting there pretty happy with that adjudication.

Btw, Collingwood deserved to win. Yet again, they managed the situation of the game better than us. We also more than likely would not have scored a goal from that inside 50 so by no means did the decision rob us or cost us the game.

However, put yourself in our shoes. We missed finals by a bees dick last year. In that season we had two calls in the final minute that the AFL admitted should have gone our way. One would have given one of our best kicks a short from 40m out straight in front after the siren. The other would have put us up with 40 seconds to go. This season we have already had the AFL admit we should have been paid a free kick which would have given one of our other better kicks a short from 20m out on a slight angle after the siren to win.

That brings us to yesterday, win and we go 4-1-5 and have three of the bottom four to play and every chance of going 7-1-5 with half a season to play. So given all that, when a free kick that is almost never paid, and we’ve seen way worse let go, suddenly gets paid against us with 15 seconds to go, it’s more than fair that we’re gonna be angry. Sport is emotional.

I acknowledge that a lot of this is simply because our team is not good enough, but go look at our board, there are plenty of rants about that too. We’re not running around acting like we’d be premiers if it weren’t for those pesky umpires.

The Franklin one was 12 steps after the final bounce, so would be an estimated 18-20m roughly.
The Jetta one was blatantly wrong and there was an absolute uproar over it not being called at the time.

But you’ve had to go back years, over a decade in the Jetta one, to find these examples, which would indicate that they’re few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

I understand you’ve had some poor calls from umpires in recent times, the one against Sydney last year was disgraceful and the Draper one the other week was almost as bad, but this just isn’t one of those calls. It was about as blatant an example of running too far without bouncing as you can get, and it was rightly penalised. That should be the end of it.

Okay, here’s your answer:

People are arguing because the umpire gave the ball back to Collingwood by paying a free that isn’t normally paid. In isolation it’s a bitter pill to swallow. In the broader context of Collingwood’s close wins this year and last year, it’s part of a pattern of the umpires deciding they want Collingwood to win.
so do they like get together before the game, zoom meeting during the week, or a direction comes from umpire management via email?

Is it match fixing this desire by the umpires or are they all closet Pies supporters?

Or, you have drunk too much West End in your life?

Didn’t watch the game mate just saw a free kick in the final minute of game which is often missed and cost the hawks the game
You mean the one where they pay OOB against Burgoyne and give the ball to Hawthorne after the ball came off his head? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Let me ask again.
Goals from free kicks:
Port: 1
Hawks: 5? 6? 7? I’m not sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 1141 posts on the video "Did Rankine run too far?" about 50% say yes and about 50% say no.

That is the very definition of marginal. No one is arguing that he didn't run more than 15 metres. In the same way some 50 metre penalties are 40 metres and some are 60 metres.
All that means is 50% of football fans are twits. Are you one of them?

1.5m???

Go put a tape measure on the ground and show me someone that covers 1.5m in one stride? 😂

Mate, Usain Bolt took 40-41 strides to run the 100 metres. (2.5m per stride)

Even the top female runners generally only take 50 strides. (2m per stride)

So surely you could imagine someone taking 66-67 strides in your scenario (1.5m)…

I was at the game, the vibe was an indignant Pies crowd offended about missed frees.

The Hill one (which was marginal, but he played it up and I think cost himself), a couple on Cox (who cannot buy a free himself) and some non decisions had the crowd simmering.

The Hill one plus the push paid against Cox (which aren't often paid, I think Crisp was pushed like that in the third and it was play on) came in a cluster. I commented at the time the pressure was building on the umps and I thought we'd get one our way whether it was there or not: so it was.

Like Hill I think Rankine didn't help his own case. Haven't seen the replay yet but at the time he seemed to show signs of guilty haste in his kick, like he was aware he'd gone to far. Prolly projecting but it's hard to lie on a footy field, he's an honest star that bloke.

The crowd was baying, as it was plain he'd run too far: it was obvious to everyone at the ground, even the umps. It wasn't a surprise, it felt as though finally common sense had prevailed (although the decisions that had caused offense were qctually more or less correct).

It was in a straight line, across two mowed squares so it was as clear as day. If it were ever to be paid, that's the spot.

We seem to get frees these days, we used to be a dirty side and give away frees to assert dominance: wed miss decisions. Now we're good boys and the umps look after Pendles (well they always did, he was our protected species in the 2000s even), and the Daicoi.

Adelaide has had some stinkers and it's hard not to take it personally, to see conspiracies and #VICBIAS etc. When you've been in the league more than five minutes you'll get some perspective.

#RIFOM is very entertaining though, we'll miss these shenanigans when the Crows do grow up.

If Schultz had been paid one of the most obvious frees of the day moments earlier, then we wouldn’t even have had the rankine situation. Schultz was met front on in the marking contest, had his arm chopped with the contact also high. Play on apparently. And people are whinging that a rule that was correctly applied cost the crows a chance of winning the game ?🤣🤣🤣

You cant say that for sure.

It may have been correct by the letter of the law but is overlooked multiple times in every game.
umpires are human.
AFL is a hard fast complex game.
Every rule is applied inconsistently in this environment. They get some right, some wrong and miss others.
We can only hope that they get more right when they are there.
Every supporter of all clubs can experience an emotional reaction when it affects their team.
They happen all game but it's human nature to hold onto the ones at the end because it's the most recent.
Any of the other calls during the game may have changed the game more than the last one. Bur we hang on to the last one.
The AFL already have the Victorian supporters in their pocket. We are not going to stop following AFL, so to suggest there is a Vic bias in the umpiring is a little naive.
New round of games this week let's look forward to it....

Back