Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Real prick this guy.

Nov 26, 2016 Paul Bongiorno

Whatever way you cut it, Australian politics in the past week travelled further down the low road of ignorance, prejudice and bigotry. It’s the new fashion propelled by the extraordinary success in Britain and the United States of politicians who push these buttons.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, already a practitioner in the dark arts, quickly took his cue in an interview with Andrew Bolt on Sky News. Bolt suggested that former prime minister Malcolm Fraser got the Lebanese refugee program wrong in the late 1970s. Dutton agreed “mistakes were made”. When parliament resumed, Labor wanted to know what these mistakes were. The answer was profoundly jarring.

Dutton said the advice he had “is that out of the last 33 people who have been charged with terrorist-related offences in this country, 22 of those people are from second- and third-generation Lebanese Muslim background”. His defence was that he was simply being honest. He was either oblivious to the racist implications or deliberately seizing them. The minister told parliament, “I’m not interested in the politically correct nonsense the leader of the opposition might carry on with.” He wanted to make sure we settle people in this country who want to take the opportunity given to them.

Dutton ruled out that the issue was a failure of settlement policy because “we provide support services, education, housing, and the vast majority of people make an absolute go of that”. For those people who don’t, he went on, “we should own up to our mistakes, rectify the problems and ensure the great future of this country”.

So the mistake – according to the immigration minister – was to let in Muslim Lebanese. What else could it have been? Worse, their children and grandchildren are denied the status of Australians by birth. Shorten nailed this obscenity when he told parliament, “We in the Labor Party don’t start by calling them ‘second- and third-generation migrants’. We call them Australians.”

But it wasn’t only the Labor Party that was appalled. In the Coalition party room, the Sydney Liberal MP, Trent Zimmerman, a former New South Wales party president, warned that the commentary was “unhelpful”. He said it sent mixed messages from the party, which was doing its best to reach out to migrant communities, including Lebanese, Chinese and Indian Australians. He reminded his colleagues that in the nation’s biggest state, 40 per cent of people are from non-English-speaking backgrounds. Though he didn’t join the debate, Craig Laundy, who holds the ethnically diverse Western Sydney seat of Reid, is, according to one of his colleagues, “apoplectic” over Dutton’s provocative racism.

But Dutton was not without his supporters. Victorian uber-conservative Michael Sukkar, who is of Lebanese Catholic heritage, strongly backed the minister. Not surprising, given that enmity between the Maronite Catholics and the Muslim majority led to the bloody civil war in 1976 – the conflict that saw a quarter of a million fatalities and one million displaced people. These were the desperate refugees to whom Fraser opened Australian hearts and borders.

Fraser’s immigration minister, Ian Macphee, was scathing in his reaction to Dutton. In a statement released through the Refugee Council, he said the attack was “outrageous”. He said: “We have had a succession of inadequate immigration ministers in recent years but Dutton is setting the standards even lower. Yet Turnbull recently declared him to be ‘an outstanding immigration minister’. The Liberal Party has long ceased to be liberal.”

Macphee described Dutton, Pauline Hanson and Andrew Bolt as “ignorant, alarmist voices”. He said the Fraser government “honoured international law and morality. From the Howard government onwards these have been increasingly discarded.”

Dutton’s attack showed up Turnbull’s weakness in capitulating to the right of his party so abjectly from day one. It is made all the more excruciating by the July election leaving him with a majority of one, empowering and emboldening the hardliners. It was left to Bill Shorten to defend Malcolm Fraser’s legacy. He did it by quoting Turnbull’s own eulogy of his Liberal predecessor. “As the prime minister generously said at the time, he was so far ahead of his time: ‘When you look at what he did in respect of shaping the nature of Australia today, it is really quite remarkable.’ ”

The closest Turnbull came to repudiating Dutton was in his national security update to parliament. He said: “Terrorist groups seek to identify weakness and vulnerability and drive fear and division. Actions and behaviours that target particular sections in society merely play into their hands.” It is left to the listener to fit that particular hat on the head of the immigration minister with his denigration of Lebanese Muslims. Dutton’s attack sends the message that they are not welcome here and they don’t fit in – the very ingredients of alienation that feed Islamic radicalisation, especially of the young.

What should be remembered is that Dutton, who is fast becoming the leading conservative voice in the Liberal party, is a Queenslander. A clue to his approach could be the alarm at the spike in support for One Nation of which his fellow Queenslander, Attorney-General George Brandis, speaks. A hot microphone picked up his frank conversation with Victorian Liberal party powerbroker Michael Kroger this week. In what he thought were private remarks, Brandis revealed support for One Nation is already running at 16 per cent in the Sunshine State. He is convinced it will win seats at the next state poll.

In 1998, One Nation peaked at 22 per cent to capture 11 seats in the state parliament and deny the Nationals and Liberals government. Adding to the alarm is the Palaszczuk Labor government’s reinstatement of compulsory preferential voting. According to the sotto voce Brandis, this could lead to a split between the merged Liberal and National parties that form the LNP. The ABC’s election analyst Antony Green believes that had preferential voting existed at the last state election, Labor would have won a majority on Greens preferences.

What could stymie the Hanson party’s resurgence is the antics of her senate colleagues in Canberra. It is no surprise that the three men she brought with her into the senate are opinionated eccentrics consumed by xenophobia and conspiracy theories, but holding them together as a cohesive team is proving hard.

Hanson is furious her colleague from Western Australia, Rod Culleton, misled her when he signed an affidavit assuring her he was eligible to run for the senate. She supported his referral to the High Court. This has far from impressed him, and he has been giving her the cold shoulder. His office has been at war with her svengali and chief of staff, James Ashby. It descended into farce when she resorted to using an ABC news camera to appeal to him. “Rod, excuse me, I’m party leader. I expect you to come to my office and it’s about being a team player and that’s all I expect.”

He heeded the call and after an hour, détente was declared. But he insisted, “She’s certainly not the boss of my office.” Whatever happens with the High Court, Culleton is not only in strife with several creditors but he now has the Queensland attorney-general on his tail for appearing to pervert the course of justice in a threatening letter to a Cairns magistrate.

Peter Dutton seems convinced the best way to deal with these extremists is to match them. In that, he has allies in the Coalition National Party. A loss by the Nationals in the Orange byelection, until now one of their safest state seats in NSW, precipitated a panic meeting of the 22-member federal party room. A rampant One Nation particularly exercised some minds, even though it was the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party, with Labor preferences, that inflicted the loss.

There was agreement that they needed to do more to distinguish themselves as a party of the bush. There were worries over the Turnbull government’s inability to set the agenda or address voters’ concerns. But talk of “bloodletting” upset one of the participants, Senator John “Wacka” Williams. He’s angry that someone inside leaked this version of the meeting to the Herald Sun. “It’s bullshit,” he said. “National party room meetings are always cordial.”

An upshot of the confab was a revolt by the party against the government decision to leave an import ban on the Adler rapid-fire shotgun. Not one Nationals senator voted to continue the ban. Williams and his Victorian colleague Bridget McKenzie crossed the floor to support a motion lifting it. In what is claimed as a coincidence, three Nationals cabinet ministers didn’t show up for the vote. Labor pounced. Shorten demanded to know what the prime minister had done to discipline cabinet ministers for not supporting a cabinet position. Turnbull brushed it off because there was no threat to the decision being overturned in the senate.

The Nationals are sure to be hoping shooters and farmers in the bush noticed, even if it provided an opportunity for Shorten to highlight government disunity. It certainly showed the Nationals, who have Turnbull on a tight rein over issues such as marriage equality, aren’t worried about unity if it doesn’t suit them.

And in a week when the government had two good wins in the senate over superannuation and one of its union-busting bills, it shows that the low road will always take top billing.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...eter-duttons-racism-the-bottom/14800788004010

Seeing firsthand the influx of Lebanese in the early 80's , i know it's their kids kids that Dillpickle Dutto is referring to.
I remember a kid in my class in primary school pulling up his pants leg to show us the scars he had from a bomb that had gone off near him in Lebanon.

How we can stop this generation ( and the next ) from becoming disaffected is for another fred doe..

The real issue here is WHY Dipstick Dutto said it.
It's too easy to claim he's said it just so he didn't sound like a braindead potato for once so it has to be THE COWARDS hand up his arse....................

I wonder how as ex Qld filth he can afford so many investment properties. Neither a copper, or an MP earn that much. Was he a pre Fitzgerald enquiry rozzer?

DON'T PANIC GOUGH !!!!!!!!!!!

I heard they have Brandis on the case as we speak...

I wonder what Michael Sukkar MP for Deakin thinks about this, being second generation Lebanese and all.

Actually there's quite a few Lebanese in our parliament.

After all, there is only one reason NSW has a 120-officer strong Middle East Organised Crime Squad.

Established in 2006, the squad works to break the stranglehold of family-based crime gangs using their ethnic connections to control south-western Sydney’s multi-million dollar illegal drug market.

These groups have been part of a bloody war played out over years on Sydney streets.
It is strange when two people read the same article and both highlight a different part. Thanks for this:

Those who dine out on fear can now tell their friends at barbecues and dinner parties that at least 66 per cent of people accused of carrying out or planning terrorism in Australia are Muslims from families offered a new life after fleeing Lebanon.

The fact there are more than 180,000 Australians of Lebanese background and only a tiny percentage face charges won’t come into the equation at all.

Back in 2009, a committee of Federal Parliament concluded there was an “expansion of Middle Eastern organised crime groups” in Australia and “drug trafficking, property crime and vehicle rebirthing were their main activities”.

Trying to pass the buck like that under today’s popular anti-immigration, stop the boats, border security mantra would be like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Back in 2009, a committee of Federal Parliament concluded there was an “expansion of Middle Eastern organised crime groups” in Australia and “drug trafficking, property crime and vehicle rebirthing were their main activities”.

Trying to pass the buck like that under today’s popular anti-immigration, stop the boats, border security mantra would be like taking a knife to a gunfight.
I read the article, not sure what your point is of repeating. Waste of white space.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, already a practitioner in the dark arts, quickly took his cue in an interview with Andrew Bolt on Sky News. Bolt suggested that former prime minister Malcolm Fraser got the Lebanese refugee program wrong in the late 1970s. Dutton agreed “mistakes were made”. When parliament resumed, Labor wanted to know what these mistakes were. The answer was profoundly jarring.

Bolt asked question and Dutton replied.
Billy boy jumped to grandstand and shot himself between the eyes.
Billy boy just reminded the plebs how he will starts the boats again.
Middle eastern immigrants/refugees have caused all sorts of piss and pain like no other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I can't understand is how the **** he became a leading figure on the right; he's thick as shit and a complete campaigner.
What I can't believe is how upset you lefties get. Be like me and chill out over a game of golf.
I am racist at golf. Comments like "**** you, you white campaigner" when the ball doesn't go where I want it to go.

What I can't believe is how upset you lefties get. Be like me and chill out over a game of golf.
I am racist at golf. Comments like "**** you, you white campaigner" when the ball doesn't go where I want it to go.
I'm hardly upset; I save my true rage for the people that truly deserve it, like people who can't merge. Mind you, Dutton strikes me as the kind of campaigner that can't merge.

OMG the most nazi like group of men in Australia has a racist among them? who'd of fort that?

Because there is no such thing as a "2nd and 3rd generation migrant", there are probably 20 million lefties in Australia if Bolt and Abbott are the center and you cannot play field hockey if you're left handed but apart from that, it use to be therapeutic to watch and listen to dullards like Dutton, Abbott, Hanson because laughter is the best medicine. Now, unfortunately, it's really, really sad how many complete f****ng imbeciles this country is throwing up and how they are buzzing around those pieces of shit like blow flies and the more fly blown your Abbotts and Hansons and Duttons become, the more courageous they become and the viler they become; almost as vile as those that idolise them.

Indigenous affairs next?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-nelson-heckled/2008/02/13/1202760398971.html

http://www.woroni.com.au/comment/apologies-very-black-and-white/

Let’s just take a look at some comments from some of these MPs:

‘Saying sorry is not going to solve anything – it’s wallpaper.’
Dennis Jensen

‘I do not feel any sense of guilt for what has happened during Australia’s brief history.’
Cory Bernardi

‘I do not believe that I or other Australians can apologise for actions taken by former generations in different circumstances at a time of different attitudes, laws and Christian beliefs.’
Ian Macdonald

‘If I thought for a moment that it was going to deliver positive outcomes to those kids, to their families, to those communities, then I would support it in a heartbeat.’
Peter Dutton

These quotes – of course – don’t refer to the recent apology, but to the 2008 Apology to the Stolen Generations.

me again
Bernardiin particular referring to "Australian Brief History"

This is one instance where it is not a matter of 'left' or right'. To speak out about something doesn't imply one is 'upset'.
It just doesn't make sense that a person is responsible for their grandchildren's actions 20/30 years on.
Not sure anyone can guarantee that any of their relatives won't cross the line into criminal activity.

Further stating that 22 persons of a particular nationality are terrorists does not prove that Fraser was wrong, what about the other thousands that are law biding citizens?

If we take that attitude, then what hope do we have of migrants assimilating?

If you can't see that what he said and how he said it is wrong, then I am not sure you are capable of seeing anything objectively.

a middle eastern crime gang has had to be set up to combat organised crime which is being committed by people or their offspring who were let into this country for a better life and in return make a living selling drugs to our kids and shooting people on our streets. fact. over 95% of people who have committed or tried to commit a terrorist crime in Australia have been people or their offspring who were let into this country for a better life from the middle east. fact. over 95% of people ( or their offspring) who have left Australia to fight for Islamic state overseas were let into this country from the middle east. fact. not one Asian,european kiwi etc has been involved in terror related incidents here that I can think of- and you call Dutton a dill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back