Peter Daicos versus Kevin Bartlett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bartlett was a hungry goal sneak, and very, very good at it.
He exploited the rules of the time to generate his opportunity to goal.
Daicos used skill, some say freakish skill, to create his path to goal.
As much as I hatE Bartlett and his post footy career ramblings, he was a champion of the game.
But Daicos was the magician, and every time a “miracle” goal is kicked, there’s a bit of Daicos magic that these players are channeling.

Can I join in?

Both absolute greats. Both made their team better. Both probably should have won a Brownlow somewhere along the way. Both could play midfield or forward. But - completely different players. Daicos was one of those players that every opposition supporter loved and wished he was on their team. Bartlett was one of those players that every opposition supporter hated - and wished he was on their team.

Oh - and both had types of goals nanmed after them.

If you kick a goal from an impossible angle, sometimes dribbling it along the ground - that's a Daicos.
If you kick a goal from an impossible angle while having 7 unmarked teammates inside, all closer to goal and straight in front - that's a Bartlett:cool:.

I find it interesting that there are so many "daicos's" around now because they practice... I tend to view Daics now and think "hard work" more than "magic".

I still remember Bartlett running around the mcg and being followed by stan magro trying to beat him.... literally. I used to like Stan, but you have to admit that there was a bit of magic in Bartlett's ability to stay away from fists and elbows.

KB won more premierships,
Tom Hafey tried to lure KB to Collingwood..

Actually not quite true. KB was upset with the way the Richmond Board treated Hafey (which led to Hafey's resignation - probably before he got pushed). KB thought he might leave, and spoke to Hafey about joining Collingwood. It was actually Hafey who convinced him to stay, pointing out that he had such a great connection with the club and the fans, that if he left he would be losing that.

Amazing man, Hafey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it interesting that there are so many "daicos's" around now because they practice... I tend to view Daics now and think "hard work" more than "magic".

I still remember Bartlett running around the mcg and being followed by stan magro trying to beat him.... literally. I used to like Stan, but you have to admit that there was a bit of magic in Bartlett's ability to stay away from fists and elbows.
Daics used to have a footy with him all day and practiced in the park with mates every arvo. Even when they played soccer he'd take his footy. None of his mates played AFL (was VFL then) and none of his generation invented more than one type of shot on goal. Maybe it's not magic, but superman and spiderman aren't real either.

Daics used to have a footy with him all day and practiced in the park with mates every arvo. Even when they played soccer he'd take his footy. None of his mates played AFL (was VFL then) and none of his generation invented more than one type of shot on goal. Maybe it's not magic, but superman and spiderman aren't real either.

I read that as a kid Maradona basically had a football with him all day, and when he would try a new trick, he would keep doing it until he had mastered it, even if it looked impossible.

Apparently he once started juggling a ball as he left his hotel room, walked down the stairs to the dining room, got to the table and started eating - all the time juggling the ball.
His manager said 'See? That's why he's Maradona'.

Two different players - one exploited the rules the other was a trendsetter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back