Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Remove this Banner Ad

A forgotten evil stirs in the ancient land of Varisia. Dark magic once more thrums amid crumbling ruins, giants gather in titanic armies, cultists murder in the name of foul deities, and maniacal goblins plot a fiery end for the peaceful town of Sandpoint.

Launch a campaign to strike back against the evils plaguing Varisia with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords - Base Set. This complete cooperative strategy card game pits 1 to 4 heroes against the traps, monsters, deadly magic, and despicable foes of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game's award-winning Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. In this game players take the part of a fantasy character such as a rogue or wizard, each with varying skills and proficiencies that are represented by the cards in their deck. The classic ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, etc.) are assigned with different sized dice. Players can acquire allies, spells, weapons, and other items. The goal is to find and defeat a villain before a certain number of turns pass, with the villain being represented by its own deck of cards complete with challenges and foes that must be overcome. Characters grow stronger after each game, adding unique gear and awesome magic to their decks, and gaining incredible powers, all of which they'll need to challenge greater threats in a complete Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Adventure Path.

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is an expandable game, with the first set containing nearly 500 cards. The Rise of the Runelords - Base Set supports 1 to 4 players; a 110-card Character Add-On Deck expands the possible number of players to 5 or 6 and adds more character options for any number of players. The game will be expanded with bimonthly 110-card adventure decks.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the one game I had although it wasn't for everyone in my gaming group. Being marketed as a "replacement for an RPG" which I think is a bit off the mark, however as a persistent LCG in the LOTR or Cthullu LCGs I think it is one of the better and more accessible ones I have played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With luck ill have a copy to play with this weekend. Hoping it will be good for non RPG people as a sort of gateway. Will let you guys know how it gos.

Ok so ive had a couple of plays with this now so thought id report my findings.

With some experience with RPGs i have found adapting to this quite easy, the GF and her daughter have found it quite a bit more difficult. You really need to put a little time into reading each card and each characters special powers and become comfortable with them to get the most out of the game.

Once you have these things down the gameplay is pretty straight forwards, you make strength tests, perception tests, wisdom checks and use combat skills to fight baddies, pretty simple stuff. But its definately a bit of a puzzle working out what cards to play when and just how far to push your luck against the turn timer.

All games ive played someone has come close to dying, we have pushed the clock damn close and we have both gotten some cool stuff and unfortunately missed some cool stuff with unlucky rolls.

Some points of note.
Setup can be a little long so its handy to have a game ready to play before people come to the table.

Be prepared to have to teach non RPG players about how skill checks work A LOT

The "persistence" deck building idea for the characters is pretty damn cool, adds a lot more to rolling dice to gain a card when you really want it to keep for next game.

This game takes thought, rushing causes mistakes, take your time.

Extra dice will definately help as only 1 set comes with the game, rolling 2D8 using 1 die is definately less fun.

Multiple things can effect your turn, sometimes its hard to remember to check the scenario modification, the location modification, your cards, your abilities, encounter card effects and keep track of others abilities to assist all at once. Thinking things through to get them right is a must :)

Money Sink
I was lucky and snagged this cheap from ebay for $53

since then

Character expansion - $25
Adventure deck 2 - $17
Adventure deck 3 - $17
Adventure deck 4 - $20
3 extra sets of dice - $15

All in all i've really enjoyed this so far, its definately not an RPG as it has a strict set of rules and options to follow so lacks some of that freedom, but it is a really good structured condensed version of the RPG experience done quickly and simply with no need for a DM and on a table with a few dice.

8/10 for me so far.

Playing pacg with my once a month tabletop crew.

Loving it so far. We find being really aggressive with exploring again works well. Not burning blessing cards to acquire loot unless game is well in hand is tough. .. But pays off in spades if winning and moving to next scenario is your focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back