Weight: 86 kg
Recruited From: Perth (WAFL)/Sydney
Jumper #: 27
Debut: Round 1,March 31, 2002, Sydney Vs Brisbane @ SCG
Career Games: 79
Career Goals: 49
Honours: Adelaide Best Team Man award 2007
7th in Club Voting 2007...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: #27 - Scott Stevens

Thought this would be a good place to post this.

afl.com.au said:
Stevens showing the way

3:12 PM Thu 25 October, 2007

By Katrina Gill
for afc.com.au

stevensbp2.jpg

AFTER ENDURING a horror 2005, Scott Stevens admits he almost gave up on pursuing a career in the AFL.

The Adelaide big man underwent a shoulder reconstruction over the pre-season and failed to break into the Crows' side during the year.

Fellow utilities Trent Hentschel, Nathan Bock and Ken McGregor were being selected ahead of him and Stevens found himself languishing with the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL.

Now, just two years later, Stevens has become the poster boy for taking your opportunities at West Lakes, a trait that will come in handy when ex-Port Adelaide defender Brad Symes and former Kangaroo Brad Moran kick-start their careers with the Crows.

Used primarily as a defender, the 25-year-old still managed to creep forward and jag two three-goal hauls on the way to playing every game of 2007.

Stevens capped off his career-best season by claiming the 'best team man' award at the Crows' club champion night.

"I didn't play a game in 2005 and I think out of everyone, I had given up on myself the most," Stevens said.

"For the club and the boys to have faith in me and assist me so much has been fantastic."

Adelaide coach Neil Craig said Stevens had "turned his career around" since coming to the club from Sydney in 2004.

The mild-mannered country boy from Western Australia was drafted by the Swans at the age of 17 and played 25 games in the harbour city before being moved on to the Crows.

"I was probably a little bit young, upon reflection," Stevens said of his move to Sydney.
"But I was lucky enough to get traded here to Adelaide and was given a number of opportunities, so it's been great to be able to repay the club."

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=52772

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=66105
Stevens' long road to the ton
By Katrina Gill 6:22 PM Fri 22 August, 2008

IN NOVEMBER 1999 a wide-eyed 17-year-old by the name of Scott Stevens left his home in country WA and moved to the big smoke of Sydney to chase an AFL dream.

It took two years for him to debut for the Swans and he played just 24 more games in the Harbour City before being traded to the club he supported as a child, the Adelaide Crows.

“I had another year on my contract at Sydney but I think both the club and myself thought there wasn’t a big future for me going forward,” Stevens said.

“Ultimately, the club makes that decision and they wouldn’t have gotten rid of me if they didn’t want to, but it worked out well for me.”

Stevens started his lifeline with Adelaide in equally uncertain fashion, shifting between the Crows and SANFL side Port Adelaide in the first two seasons.

The mild mannered 26-year-old was forced to undergo an untimely shoulder reconstruction and, after failing to play an AFL game in 2005, his career was at the crossroads.

But Adelaide showed faith in the unassuming utility and, in 2006, he repaid the club with 18 appearances from a possible 24, including the two finals.

Stevens, now an integral part of the Crows' line-up, has not missed a game since round 22 of that 2006 season and, on Sunday, will run onto Telstra Dome with a great sense of self-satisfaction when he reaches the 100-game milestone, almost nine years on.

“100-games is a bigger milestone for some players than it is for others and I’m certainly one of those players,” Stevens said with a laugh.

“It’s great to be able to say I’ve played 100 AFL games. It’s something that I’m definitely going to be proud of forever.

“There were a lot of times where I didn’t think I’d get there - actually most of my career I didn’t think I’d get there - it’s probably only been the last couple of years that I’ve had any sort of consistency or been a regular in the team.

“It was a battle for a long time there, but I think that probably adds to the milestone.”

Stevens plays a variety of different roles with Adelaide, including centre half-back, centre half-forward and, this year, even in the ruck or on the wing.

But the No.27 believes his flexibility actually contributed to his career’s sluggish start.

“I think my versatility was probably a weakness early on because I wasn’t that good at any one position, but I was OK at a few,” he said.

“If you’re not first picked, or even second picked, in a position then it’s hard to stay in the team, but in hindsight it’s definitely helped me to stay on the list.”

Stevens, who was named Adelaide’s best team man last year, will share his milestone with former rookie Ben Rutten, who has also taken a different path to the ton.

“I’m good mates with Ben, so it’s nice to share the day with him,” Stevens said.

“I know he had a knee reconstruction before he was even on a list, so he’s had his challenges and made it there his way. Everyone has their own story, but it’s great to share it with him."

Stevens is now looking forward to a long and successful career with the Crows and is happy in Adelaide, where he lives with partner Anna.

“The last few years have been a lot more enjoyable and a lot less stressful in terms of thinking about what’s going to happen the next year,” Stevens said.

“It’s nice to have a two-year contract instead of a one-year contract where you’re hoping just to do enough to stay on the list.

“The last couple of years have been great and it feels good to be able to contribute to a team that has been playing winning footy.”
afc.com.au

keep forgetting he's only 26 years old...and his utility abilities have been the reason he has remained in the team. i think out of all the defenders NC decides to throw up forward to compensate for injuries, Stevens is the most effective (moreso than Bock, Johncock, Bassett or Rutten). excluding Moran...though, i think the two would be along similar lines.

Say what? Scott Stevens was a Crows supporter growing up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back