Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy87

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My cuz AK,- Former Tiger and Magpie
Good evening everyone, so glad it's Friday and nothing beats watching Friday night footy, if Richmond is playing or not.

Ok so it seems the "Past Player of the Week" concept was well received by Tiger people on this board. So I thought I'd get started with the inaugural Past Player of the Week. By the way (and mods this is where you lot step in or anyone else for that matter), the concept is for anyone or maybe its better if its kept to a few people so that we don't go "double handling" or choosing the same past players etc. Anyway I will get the first week up and running........see below.

Michael Mitchell

Date of Birth: November 21 1965 (born in Carnarvon Western Australia, 904km north of Perth)

Playing Weight and Playing Height: 66kg/172cm

Teams Played For: Claremont (WAFL), Richmond (VFL), Western Australia (State of Origin)

Games Played: 88 games: Claremont, 81 games: Richmond, 8 games: Western Australia

Period Per Team: Claremont: 1982-1986, Richmond: 1987-1991

AFL Debut: Sunday March 29 - Round 1 1987 against West Coast at Subiaco

Final AFL Game: Saturday August 24 - Round 23 1991 against Collingwood at Victoria Park

Goals Kicked: 134 - Claremont, 103 - Richmond

Goals kicked per season at Richmond:
  • 1987 (22 games): 37 - 2nd overall at Richmond
  • 1988 (22 games): 34 - 2nd overall at Richmond
  • 1989 (6 games): 3 - 13th overall at Richmond
  • 1990 (22 games): 26 - 3rd overall at Richmond
  • 1991 (9 games): 4 - 13th overall at Richmond
Career Highlights:
  • Grand Finalist with Claremont (runners up) in 1982 and 1983
  • 1984 Sandover Medallist
  • 1985 and 1986 All Australian (when playing for Claremont)
  • 1987 Runner Up - Richmond goal kicking (37)
  • 1988 third place - Richmond goal kicking (33)
  • 1998 third place - Richmond goal kicking (26)
  • 1990 AFL Mark of the Year, AFL Goal of the Year (only the second person to achieve this double)
  • 2008 - part of the "100 Tiger Treasures" for goal of the year in 1990. 100 Tiger Treasures was part of Richmond's celebrations for being in the VFL/AFL for 100 years

Footage:

1990 AFL Mark of the Year -

1990 AFL Goal of the Year -

Michael Mitchell as a Richmond Tiger
art-353-svMITCHELL-200x0[1].jpg

As a Claremont Tiger
Mitchell%20M%20-%201980s%20playing%20for%20Claremont%20Tigers[1].jpg

I hope you enjoy the very first edition of Past Player of the Week.

References:
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Michael_Mitchell.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mitchell_(Australian_rules_footballer)

www.claremontfc.com.au/assets/.../CFC-Top-50-Players-Bios.pdf

Last edited:
Cheers PerthBoy87 great to dream of future glory but really good to remember past (greats) players. Would he get a run these days at that weight ? Seems like very few if any get a game under 80kg these days. he would have been tough as though to survive in those days...:thumbsu:

Great work PB87. Loved seeing Mitchell play. He is the sort of player we really need now - imagine him playing as a small forward with his pace and skills feeding off Jack and Ty. Sigh!

• Banned
It's a pity Mitchell couldn't get to 100 game at Richmond......did he have any sons? Could of been a father/son selection there has Mitchell played 100 games. Mitchell is from Carnarvon, where my mum is born. He's a Carnarvon boy. He played junior footy in Carnarvon.

Also, out of the five seasons he spent at Richmond, he finished in the top three for most goals kicked three times, not a bad effort I reckon.

• Banned
Loved him as a Tiger, embraced the club, unlike that flog Wilson.

Do you mean Peter Wilson? Played 54 games for Richmond. I'm sure he will be a past player of the week at some stage along with many past Tiger players

Great concept PerthBoy87.
The years Michael played were really bad for the tigers. Two wooden spoons, couldn't pay the players and the save our skins campaign.
I remember him being really good and flashy. Watching that vision of his goal of the year in 1990 brings back great memories. Sunday afternoon footy in front of the box with your mates, just hanging out and getting up to no good.
Not much has changed in 24 years:eek:

The years Michael played were really bad for the tigers. Two wooden spoons, couldn't pay the players and the save our skins campaign.
I remember him being really good and flashy. Watching that vision of his goal of the year in 1990 brings back great memories. Sunday afternoon footy in front of the box with your mates, just hanging out and getting up to no good.

Nothing beats a pie and a beer or a even a cuppa tea/coffee and a feed. Even some good old chinese whilst watching the footy is good. The simple life isnt it? Nowdays the world seems in a mad rush and simple things like this with mates or family is a dying activity. Watching footy with those we care about most with a good meal and drink no matter whos playing - can't beat it.

Do you mean Peter Wilson? Played 54 games for Richmond. I'm sure he will be a past player of the week at some stage along with many past Tiger players
Yeah, and I'm probably being a bit harsh, I just remember him being uncomplimentary about us when he went to the Eagles.

Yeah, and I'm probably being a bit harsh, I just remember him being uncomplimentary about us when he went to the Eagles.

That I'm unaware of because I was too young to know what was going on in regards to him moving to the Eagles. I think he is more for the Eagles then he was at Richmond but I think the last few years when Richmond come to Perth, he has been part of the pre-game functions for the Tiger supporters that they organise etc.

That I'm unaware of because I was too young to know what was going on in regards to him moving to the Eagles. I think he is more for the Eagles then he was at Richmond but I think the last few years when Richmond come to Perth, he has been part of the pre-game functions for the Tiger supporters that they organise etc.
Good to know - think I may have been a bit harsh on him, he certainly put in when he did play for us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers PerthBoy87 great to dream of future glory but really good to remember past (greats) players. Would he get a run these days at that weight ? Seems like very few if any get a game under 80kg these days. he would have been tough as though to survive in those days...:thumbsu:

I think he would mate. Had pace, good goal sense and most importantly - good decision making skills. No matter how light or heavy a player is, if they are good decision makers then they deserve a chance at AFL footy.

Cheers.

He did well in a struggling team and he is just one player of many hundreds of players in history to do well whilst the team itself struggles. Imagine if he played in a good team......such a shame he played in a tough era for Richmond but still though he had a great time at Tigerland.

It's a pity Mitchell couldn't get to 100 game at Richmond......did he have any sons? Could of been a father/son selection there has Mitchell played 100 games. Mitchell is from Carnarvon, where my mum is born. He's a Carnarvon boy. He played junior footy in Carnarvon.

Also, out of the five seasons he spent at Richmond, he finished in the top three for most goals kicked three times, not a bad effort I reckon.
heres a stat for you pb87, i played in the gassy/carnarvon comp in the mid 80s and mm was at claremont then.... but i played against his younger brother kevin who played for warriors, same as michael as in fast, skillfull with a leap from memory michael and / or kevin were also jockeys who would often ride at geralton and carnrvon meeting, pretty sure kevin also ended up on essendons list but only ever managed a couple of games if that.

That 3 second mark footage at the end of the goal highlight is just about the best mark I have ever seen. Also have a great article about Michael Mitchell being included in KB's leadership group in 1988 with Knighter, Lambert, M.Pickering, Flea, Freezer & either Craig Smith or Jeff Hogg from memory. Funny how we were in debt then and I think we still are.

Too young to remember but his pace comes to mind. Seemed so much faster than the other players.

I was at that 1990 game v.'s Fitzroy when Mitchell took that great mark in front of the Richmond members (actually helped hold the banner up, being a Cheer Squad member in my younger days). I think it was either on ANZAC Day, or on the weekend of ANZAC Day. A great memory from the dark days. Loved playing Fitzroy, they always gave us a chance!

That 3 second mark footage at the end of the goal highlight is just about the best mark I have ever seen. Also have a great article about Michael Mitchell being included in KB's leadership group in 1988 with Knighter, Lambert, M.Pickering, Flea, Freezer & either Craig Smith or Jeff Hogg from memory. Funny how we were in debt then and I think we still are.

I think that three second mark footage at the end of the goal highlight is the one from his playing days at Claremont? Not sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back