Aussies Paralympic Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Two gold in quick succession in the swimming to Lakeisha Patterson in the women’s S9 400m freestyle, and Will Martin in the men’s S9 400m freestyle.
A third swimming gold this one to Rowan Crothers in 50 free.

Last edited:

Very weird rule in the wheelchair rugby. Danes had the ball, scores level with about 55 seconds left. 40 second shot clock. So Aussies should in theory have some time left to score. They run it to about 2 seconds on shot clock then call a time out. Shot clock disappears and Danes can just run it in with 2 seconds or so left.

The shot clock should stay the same surely.

Yeah I find that stupid tbh.

Been watching Aussies Melissa Tapper and Lina Lei winning in table tennis. One of their opponents a Polish girl actually manages to serve with the one good arm she has.

There's a guy from Egypt who lost his arms in an accident and plays with the bat in his mouth. Serves with his foot. What a legend.

News just in ...
Australia’s para-cyclist Darren Hicks will ride for gold in the men’s 3000m individual pursuit (C2) at the velodrome after Belgium rider Edwoud Vromant was disqualified . It will be the Aussie versus Frenchman Alexandre Leaute for gold or silver.

Australian table tennis player, Ma Lin, says that with two wins from two matches, he is feeling comfortable ahead of another match today at 7:40pm (AEST) against Chaoming Chee.“I played really well today because I had a good preparation thanks to our team who had the match analysis for me. Everything feels perfect, I am in good form and in a good mood.” Fellow Aussie Lina Lei also won her second match today.

World record to Emily Petricola in 3000m pursuit!

Last edited:
Gees Dave Culbert jinxed Isis Holt after her heat.

Basically declared she would take gold, said her main Chinese competitor was out of shape and couldn’t improve on her heat time.

Nekminit Zhou takes half a second off the WR in the final. Still a great race by Holt, smashed her PB but no doubt she will be disappointed.

Im struggling to get into the Paras.

In the lead up to Sydney I got to know a lot of the Oz and international athletes stories via media articles and interviews, went to many events with those great ground day passes that let you go between venues at Olympic Park, so I followed many of them thru Athens and Beijing and even to London and by watching, got to learn about the newer athletes, both Oz and international and even understood most of the classifications.

13 time paralympic gold medal swimmer Matt Cowdrey is my local member of parliament since 2018 state election and got to chat to him a couple of times, once on the election hustings and at a function post 2018 election. So I have an affinity to the Paras but I don't know if ignoring the footy almost exclusively for 2.5 weeks around the olympics and now my team is right in win a chance to win the flag has had an affect on me and my sports focus.

I think it is also that there isn't a great champion or two I know well to follow like Neil Fuller, Louise Savage, Matt Cowdrey, Evan O'Hanlon even Disco Disken in Rio that draws you in and because of that you get exposed to other Para athletes.

I will be watching as much of the wheelchair rugby and basketball as I can. I watched the Rollers beat the Iranians comprehensively the other night.

Edit I forgot to mention Curtis McGrath. I will be watching him when he races after watching him in Rio. He won in a paracanoe event in Rio but his story was fantastic. A Kiwi/Aussie who served in the Oz army, lost his legs in an IED explosion in Afghanistan, and had the presence of mind to calm his army mates who were trying to save his life and were really worried, by making a joke that not to worry he can now go to the paralympics. 4 years later he did and won gold, but is a multiple world champ in several paracanoe events either side of Rio. He has entered 2 events this time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've enjoyed watching this when I'm at home, especially the wheelchair rugby. Had never seen it before. It's like a cross between chess and bumpercars.

Also, as with the able bodied Olympics(where I was pleasantly surprised), enjoying the different characters and the inspirational back stories.

lost his legs in an IED explosion in Afghanistan, and had the presence of mind to calm his army mates who were trying to save his life and were really worried, by making a joke that not to worry he can now go to the paralympics. 4 years later he did and won gold
Incredible story. To listen to him talk you are uplifted by his zest for life, passion for his sport and representing his adopted country.

Our Para 100m sprint great Evan O'Hanlon medals in his last ever Para race. He finishes with 8 medals.. 5 gold ('08/'12) from his four Olympic appearances. Evan says his running days are not yet over as he plans to race at next years Comm Games and then call it quits to take up Para Winter bobsledding.

Last edited:
The Steelers in the Wheelchair rugby lost the SF to USA 42-49, so go to the bronze medal match. yanks just scored their tries so easily compared to the Steelers. Probably too Riley Batt dependent. flicked over when score was 20-25 and just never looked like breaching that gap.

Our autistic table tennis star with zee German name of Samuel Von Einem took world #1 Hungarian to the wire but just failed the final hurdle. The South Australian brings home his second consecutive silver medal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back