All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Anyone know much about footy in PNG?
Having Oea running around GC led me to look into it, and I was surprised to see there's a long history of Australian rules in PNG, and a pretty well-established local league.
I can't find much at all online, though it seems the top two sides in the main league are based in Port Moresby and New Britain (only accessible by air).
It's a bit of a mystery - I'm wondering how they get to play each other when flights are around $400AUD return, and the bulk of the population of the country are poor?
Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to be heading there on an impromptu holiday in a few weeks and will be travelling to POM and New Britain. Will be interested to check out the footy if I can find it.

Good luck but I think you'll find PNG and in particular Port Moresby isn't a very safe place, especially for a holiday. Be careful out there!

Good luck but I think you'll find PNG and in particular Port Moresby isn't a very safe place, especially for a holiday. Be careful out there!

Yeah, thanks.
The plan at this stage is to basically transit through Port Moresby and head out to one of the islands our east. Less personal security issues out there I hear.

Anyone know much about footy in PNG?
Having Oea running around GC led me to look into it, and I was surprised to see there's a long history of Australian rules in PNG, and a pretty well-established local league.
I can't find much at all online, though it seems the top two sides in the main league are based in Port Moresby and New Britain (only accessible by air).
It's a bit of a mystery - I'm wondering how they get to play each other when flights are around $400AUD return, and the bulk of the population of the country are poor?
Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to be heading there on an impromptu holiday in a few weeks and will be travelling to POM and New Britain. Will be interested to check out the footy if I can find it.

Will send you a PM

For what it’s worth, I have returned alive from PNG. One night in PoM, and the rest of the time spent in East New Britain. No sign of AFL posts, and RL obsessed, but there seemed to be general awareness of AFL. I watched both prelims in bars on FTA.

Sport aside, what a place. I’d highly recommend a visit to East New Britain for those the like to go off the beaten track. Friendly people, volcanos, coral reefs, WW2 ruins. Not once did I feel unsafe (except maybe when I was standing at the top of the volcano at Rabaul). Loved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back