Toast Our Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Butts was excellent today, needs to keep it up. Think we’re one quick flanker short but otherwise couldn’t ask for much more
Still shaky by foot, but really good defensively tonight

Still goes out when Muz comes back I think, but that won’t be his fault

Once Murray is back I'd look to trade Butts if he has any value. He will be surplus and I honestly think Borlase is decent depth.

Butts doesn't really fit in anymore imo. Slow, average decisions and skills.

Murray and Keane on the big boys, Worrell the intercept. Michalaney just doing whatever needs to be done. Now we just need Hinge to find form and to debut Ryan.

We have a young defence and they are awesome.

Keane
Max
Worrell
Hinge
Nank
Butts
Murray when he gets back

The reason we went 0-4 is because the coaches didn’t trust this group. Thats why Nicks changed the game plan because he thought we couldn’t defend attacking football and the rebound that can result. He should be ashamed of himself as he spent more time with this group than anyone.

They’ve been swamped all year and have been our best line by far.

Now stop ******* wasting resources on defenders. Petty as a defender? Not if it’s costing us first rounders.

100%. Its a modern day AFL defense and has so much versatility. The fact that the old man in that group is Mitchell Hinge who is still just 25 years is bloody fantastic.

Not sure I see Nank as part of that group moving forward - think he is much better suited to playing up the ground.

I think the 5 locks are Muz, Keane, Max, Worrell and Hinge with Butts as backup.

Think we’re one quick flanker short but otherwise couldn’t ask for much more

Absolutely. Milera isn't coming back IMO. Smith is on his last legs. Jones just doesn't cut the mustard. Hamill/Parnell are done IMO. I would be happy to use Curtin or Edwards in this position for the remainder of 2024.

Also - letting Doedee walk was one of the best things we could have done as a club.

100%. Its a modern day AFL defense and has so much versatility. The fact that the old man in that group is Mitchell Hinge who is still just 25 years is bloody fantastic.

Not sure I see Nank as part of that group moving forward - think he is much better suited to playing up the ground.

I think the 5 locks are Muz, Keane, Max, Worrell and Hinge with Butts as backup.

Absolutely. Milera isn't coming back IMO. Smith is on his last legs. Jones just doesn't cut the mustard. Hamill/Parnell are done IMO. I would be happy to use Curtin or Edwards in this position for the remainder of 2024.

Also - letting Doedee walk was one of the best things we could have done as a club.
Yeah I don’t see Nank as a defender but he’s shown he can clearly play it if need be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Petty comes cheap I think he's probably still an upgrade, but not a priority and it's a great young group. Pretty impressive that Butts is likely to be playing SANFL later in the season because he's not a bad player at all.
I don't think anyone isn't interested in getting Petty in, it just doesn't make sense to pony up with potential high picks when we can get him as a RFA the following year.

Once Murray is back I'd look to trade Butts if he has any value. He will be surplus and I honestly think Borlase is decent depth.

Butts doesn't really fit in anymore imo. Slow, average decisions and skills.

Murray and Keane on the big boys, Worrell the intercept. Michalaney just doing whatever needs to be done. Now we just need Hinge to find form and to debut Ryan.
If we could trade Butts for Petty with some pick swaps say our second for their third or fourth then we’d be set, and then use our early picks for midfielders

Butts was excellent today, needs to keep it up. Think we’re one quick flanker short but otherwise couldn’t ask for much more
Butts hasn't been too bad this year in general, none of our KPD's have, including Borlase who just lacks leg speed & a bit of a worry at ground but has been more than serviceable given these weaknesses. All in all our KPD stocks are good, just need Murray back & in form.

I don't have to imagine that: the ideal candidate is already on staff!
Taylor will be that man. He's only been delayed by a year due to injury. Yes, I'm serious.
Yeah I was telling a mate yesterday the same thing. We need to get him in and he can play the McHenry/murphy role and rotate in the middle. Imagine him with his smarts and leg distributing the ball instead of these 2

Look at how we built our key and mid size defence which is starting to look very good

Butts - Rookie list
Keane - pre season supplemental period signing
Murray - pre season supplemental period signing
Borlase - crows NGA
Hinge - delisted free agent
Michalnney - F/S 1st round pick
Worrell - 2nd round pick

Taking Michalanney out, that is whats called built on a budget and it shows if you are savvy, you can fill these spots later in the draft or via other means

What this also says to me is that Petty is absolutely NOT a need and with the investment we have had in our forward half, its now only midfield that we should be throwing big FA offers and using high draft capital on.

Bottom line is we have found some locks for our defence moving forwards.

Keane - is exceptional. Takes marks, blankets his man, kicks with precision and aggression.
Worrell - long arms helps him spoil effectively. Intercept marks, is courageous and tough and likes to play aggressive.
Max - such an incredible player. Hard to believe it's his second season. Never gets beaten, clean hands, and adding some offensive action as well. That run through the middle and lace out pass to Rankine was just beautiful.
Hinge - adds strength and a level of experience. Doing his job well.

To me they are set in stone.

That leaves 3 spots. Ideally that becomes:
Murray
Curtin
Elite leg, fast flanker. Should be a target for us.

Nank moves to wing. He's also going to be a very good player.
Smith is done.
Milera is done.
Jones and Nank become defensive depth.

I don't have to imagine that: the ideal candidate is already on staff!
Taylor will be that man. He's only been delayed by a year due to injury. Yes, I'm serious.
Must say, the times I've seen him he definitely has something. Moves through traffic very well. Would love to see him playing.

We have a young defence and they are awesome.

Keane
Max
Worrell
Hinge
Nank
Butts
Murray when he gets back

The reason we went 0-4 is because the coaches didn’t trust this group. Thats why Nicks changed the game plan because he thought we couldn’t defend attacking football and the rebound that can result. He should be ashamed of himself as he spent more time with this group than anyone.

They’ve been swamped all year and have been our best line by far.

Now stop ******* wasting resources on defenders. Petty as a defender? Not if it’s costing us first rounders.
agree mate awesome talent - very much on the same page - and many years of excitement to come.

and how do you rate the way we acquired such an awesome young backline?

Keane - FREE

Max - pick 17

Worrell - pick 28 (was reportedly a first round prospect but attitude/motivation saw him drop. Lucky we don't mind chasing some bad boys or guys that may be somewhat immature at their age - like Josh had a DUI in first 18 mths - and we looked at the big picture with Josh (plus Oliver, Martin chases in recent yrs)

Hinge - FREE

Nank - PSD (strategically after intel Dons were going to take him before us in the rookie draft)

Butts - pick 39 rookie draft

Murray - FREE

A grand total of a late first rounder, a mid/late second rounder and a rookie pick.

Is it one of the greatest all time master classes in drafting an entire backline for basically nothing?

agree mate awesome talent - very much on the same page - and many years of excitement to come.

and how do you rate the way we acquired such an awesome young backline?

Keane - FREE

Max - pick 17

Worrell - pick 28 (was reportedly a first round prospect but attitude/motivation saw him drop. Lucky we don't mind chasing some bad boys or guys that may be somewhat immature at their age - like Josh had a DUI in first 18 mths - and we looked at the big picture with Josh (plus Oliver, Martin chases in recent yrs)

Hinge - FREE

Nank - PSD (strategically after intel Dons were going to take him before us in the rookie draft)

Butts - pick 39 rookie draft

Murray - FREE

A grand total of a late first rounder, a mid/late second rounder and a rookie pick.

Is it one of the greatest all time master classes in drafting an entire backline for basically nothing?
Well it is if you ignore the failed pick 6.

As good as Curtin hopefully will be, it’s going to be as a defender and that’s another high pick.

It’s why it’s even more ridiculous we would throw valuable draft capital at our defence and I’m worried we will do it again with Petty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back