Opinion Our Current Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Me Wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think there is a single poster on here that believes we are a realistic premiership chance for the next few years. That will take us close to the 2030s.

If you do believe we are a chance, show yourself and post now, dont wait for hindsight.

The only caveat I will add is that only changes if by some miracle we get a couple of elite established mids that leave their current Club. Given how rare that is, that is wanting to leave their Club and come to play for the Crows. This current rebuild will have been a complete failure and waste of our time.

I’ve said this for as long as this thread has been around, and longer:

We confused going to the draft with successful picks. We started our list “refresh” at the 2018 draft; we didn’t trade up because we wanted a quantity of quality picks; we actually said as much at the time.

After 2019 we were confident we had a jump on the process already, and set forth on the spring cleaning with the next 3 drafts (19,20,21) and then topping up with free agents and trades (21,22).

We followed the blueprint to the letter: 3 drafts then free agents/trades but with the advantage of a good core and having already started at the 2018 super, super, super draft.

We just F-ed up ALL the picks

At no stage did we stop to consider that the Google maps directions and timelines don’t apply if you make wrong turns at the start
We were very proud of picks we collected. As though that’s all there is to it.

Honestly? I think football is a fickle bloody business. Played as much above the shoulders as it is below. And to me, our one major weakness (other than the whole forgetting to recruit a big body A grade midfielder) is our mental approach to how we football. The events of 2015 and then the aftermath of 2017 (and the fallout from THAT bloody camp) destroyed every single one of the players mental mindset... and while there's only a few of them left - they ARE still the leaders of the Club, and that "vibe" still lives within the walls. I do often wonder if we won't ever really move beyond that until every last one of them has gone...

Honestly? I think football is a fickle bloody business. Played as much above the shoulders as it is below. And to me, our one major weakness (other than the whole forgetting to recruit a big body A grade midfielder) is our mental approach to how we football. The events of 2015 and then the aftermath of 2017 (and the fallout from THAT bloody camp) destroyed every single one of the players mental mindset... and while there's only a few of them left - they ARE still the leaders of the Club, and that "vibe" still lives within the walls. I do often wonder if we won't ever really move beyond that until every last one of them has gone...
Our major weakness is Nicks

Two events that were 7 and 9 years ago, and have no impact on 95% of our squad or coaching staff.

I dont think there is a single poster on here that believes we are a realistic premiership chance for the next few years. That will take us close to the 2030s.

If you do believe we are a chance, show yourself and post now, dont wait for hindsight.

The only caveat I will add is that only changes if by some miracle we get a couple of elite established mids that leave their current Club. Given how rare that is, that is wanting to leave their Club and come to play for the Crows. This current rebuild will have been a complete failure and waste of our time.
If we are able to grab a mid in this year’s draft that can look A-grade by year 3, and are somehow able to grab another genuine elite talent like NWM within the next three offseasons, I’d say we could contend by 2027 at the earliest. I still have faith in the development of guys like Rash/Soli/RT/Max/Dowling and our three draftees this year, plus Dawson/Rankine/Murray/Fog/Worrell should still be playing good footy

Not counting on anything above 7th or 8th before that, though, especially if our coaching panel continues to be very conservative

Our major weakness is Nicks

Nah it's the list. Even if you were to apply a bullish level of improvement to our younger players it's not a list that stacks up to other premiership teams.

Essendon kept firing coaches while still retaining Dodoro and the results were... predictable.

Bobby Fisher isn't winning s**t if his chess pieces are all pawns.

Nah it's the list. Even if you were to apply a bullish level of improvement to our younger players it's not a list that stacks up to other premiership teams.

Essendon kept firing coaches while still retaining Dodoro and the results were... predictable.

Bobby Fisher isn't winning s**t if his chess pieces are all pawns.
Our list is far better than what we are producing

Coach first

I think most would rate last season as us exceeding expectations and at worst meeting them. Now you're going to bail on a coach 3 games in?

If you want to judge coaches on a short terms basis then they will make decisions on a short term basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back