Moved Thread OT Post dumping ground….

Remove this Banner Ad

Self interest wins every time

Sadly

**** the Libs voters
Shame on the nation putting their families first. :devil:
Of course self interest wins. It'd be truly puzzling if it didn't.

Shame on the nation putting their families first. :devil:
Of course self interest wins. It'd be truly puzzling if it didn't.
Yeah I’m sure it came down to that :rolleyes:

One party had policies

The other had an attack campaign

Imagine supporting a PM that hates Muslims and is backed by Murdoch and Bolt

What a feeling that would be to be supporting those racist campaigners that offer nothing to society but hatred

Yeah I’m sure it came down to that :rolleyes:

One party had policies

The other had an attack campaign
The toxic campaign was started by Labor. Yes Labor had policies, they also had a leader whom many simply couldn't stomach as PM. You get that right?

The toxic campaign was started by Labor. Yes Labor had policies, they also had a leader whom many simply couldn't stomach as PM. You get that right?
Because personality

Despite Liberals not presenting any policies , Hell in my electoral the lib candidate wouldn’t outline their plans for the areas till after the election

And people vote in these clowns ? Seriously ?

And that not even considering the racist and discriminating s**t that they said before and durring the election.

But no somehow the Libs are victims and Labor are just bad bad people

******* spare me

I look forward to the shitstorm in the next few years and knowing I didn’t vote for these dickheads

But don’t worry your precious shares are safe to invest in again

Meanwhile the Libs will continue to cut funding across the board and rape and pillage programs like NDIS for the vulnerable in society

And let’s not even consider the climate change issue

Because personality

Despite Liberals not presenting any policies , Hell in my electoral the lib candidate wouldn’t outline their plans for the areas till after the election

And people vote in these clowns ? Seriously ?

And that not even considering the racist and discriminating **** that they said before and durring the election.

But no somehow the Libs are victims and Labor are just bad bad people

******* spare me

I look forward to the shitstorm in the next few years and knowing I didn’t vote for these dickheads

But don’t worry your precious shares are safe to invest in again

Meanwhile the Libs will continue to cut funding across the board and rape and pillage programs like NDIS for the vulnerable in society

And let’s not even consider the climate change issue
You say all that. Yet they lost.
You can point to a million things this government did wrong in 6 years... Yet this ALP and it's progressive agenda was bluntly rejected.

They lost it in Qld. The state where their progressive climate policies would cost jobs. People tend not to vote for people that will take their jobs away.
One day the ALP will get the hint and realise climate policy is repeatedly being rejected by the people.

You say all that. Yet they lost.
You can point to a million things this government did wrong in 6 years... Yet this ALP and it's progressive agenda was bluntly rejected.

They lost it in Qld. The state where their progressive climate policies would cost jobs. People tend not to vote for people that will take their jobs away.
One day the ALP will get the hint and realise climate policy is repeatedly being rejected by the people.
Who cares about climate change until the damage can’t be undone

But hey keep supporting this incompetent racist campaigners party I’m sure they appreciate you flying the flag for them

Long time reader of the Geelong forum and ex-poster - but this discussion made me want to comment.

The Election is pretty divisive time for a lot of people and Australia has a huge amount of political apathy (as evidenced by over 600,000 donkey / informal votes). A lot of people stay quiet and won't engage in political discussion and the meeting of ideas to figure out where they stand. The above discussion and tone is a pretty good example of why. Strange Cat it is clear you are passionate about climate change and the Labor party but your language isn't going to help convince anyone of your beliefs.

Think about the psychology about changing someone's mind. People have reasons, beliefs, and interests which inform their decision to vote a particular way. If you want to create change in a person you need to address their reasons, beliefs, and interests and show why a particular party may fit those beliefs better. Or alternatively, highlight why those reasons, beliefs, or interests may be incorrect. Attacking someone personally and just calling a party "s**t" isn't going to do anything to change a person's mind, they are simply going to shut down and defend/maintain their beliefs. Why listen to someone calling you an idiot?

I get it though Strange Cat, I voted Labor and was ******* upset on Saturday night despite the cats win. In my mind I was angry at people, angry at the liberals, angry at the country, but I got over that on Sunday and now it has to be how I go about achieving what I believe to be correct. And it won't be done through anger. It will be done through polite, rational discourse. I would urge you to try and engage people in a rational way. You could highlight and explain why you believe the economic cost of climate change will be huge and that the Liberals aren't taking into account when coming up with their economic model. You could address how the Liberal's tax plan greatly benefits the top 3% of Australia and doesn't really benefit the majority of the country. You could discuss how Labor's tax plan redistributes a lot of the wealth from the top to better social policies etc. You could discuss how Labor's infrastructure and spending will create jobs and how the move to renewables will create far more (and more secure) jobs in the future. All of that is better than calling a party dumb or someone dumb for voting for them.

And I would fully expect the Coalition supporters to do the same thing with their policies. I might not agree with them, but I would want them presented to me in their strongest form. This clash of ideas at their highest point will only refine, alter, and edit policy to make them better. A strong Labor policy can be challenged and refine by a close conservative mind, a strong Liberal policy can be challenged and refined by a progressive one. John Stuart Mill said it far better than me:

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”

I know this forum isn't meant for politics as they can really divide people and we are all meant to come together over our love for Geelong. So I just wanted to say, to both sides, try and engage in a constructive debate, only good can come from it.

Oh, and good win by the Cats on Saturday, keen for another this weekend.

Who cares about climate change until the damage can’t be undone

But hey keep supporting this incompetent racist campaigners party I’m sure they appreciate you flying the flag for them
It's this attitude that's why they lost. Australian's don't like being told they're this or that if they do something.
Racism had SFA to do with it. I voted against Marles because he's a moron that's done nothing for the northern suburbs of Geelong.

One party got among its electorates and got down to earth.
The other spent election eve getting massages and sipping cocktails thinking they'd already won.

The average Australian trying to save to buy an apartment in Sydney or Melbourne isn't going to give a s**t about negative gearing or the smear of LNP being for the top end of town. (Shorten is the private schoolboy who married into wealth btw). What are you going to do for me.

Climate policies increase cost of living and cost jobs. Economist studies showed that the ALP and Greens omissions targets and policies would wipe hundreds of billions from GDP, the economy is so sluggish atm that next month there will probably be a rate cut. Let's vote in the party whose obsession with the climate will erode the economy and jobs even further. You can't see why this was rejected by the people last Saturday.

Food on table >> Electric cars and power.

It's this attitude that's why they lost. Australian's don't like being told they're this or that if they do something.
Racism had SFA to do with it. I voted against Marles because he's a moron that's done nothing for the northern suburbs of Geelong.

One party got among its electorates and got down to earth.
The other spent election eve getting massages and sipping cocktails thinking they'd already won.

The average Australian trying to save to buy an apartment in Sydney or Melbourne isn't going to give a **** about negative gearing or the smear of LNP being for the top end of town. (Shorten is the private schoolboy who married into wealth btw). What are you going to do for me.

Climate policies increase cost of living and cost jobs. Economist studies showed that the ALP and Greens omissions targets and policies would wipe hundreds of billions from GDP, the economy is so sluggish atm that next month there will probably be a rate cut. Let's vote in the party whose obsession with the climate will erode the economy and jobs even further. You can't see why this was rejected by the people last Saturday.

Food on table >> Electric cars and power.
Like I said zip policies presented by the Libs , demonstrated well by the lib candidate in my area not even present or acknowledging a plan for the region till after the election. (And still hasn’t)

Yet they are already proposing broad cuts to key services in the region...but hey it’s only the disabled and the vulnerable that is affected

Oh look here ScoMo already breaking promises ...gee what a suprise

Oh look Aus voted Dutton back in despite what he said and what he stands for ...a racist piece of ******* s**t

Aus got what it deserves and when things go belly up you can be safe in the knowledge that YOU voted in these clowns despite the incompetence they have shown in the last 6 years and presenting ZERO plans for the future

But at least you like ScOMo personality that’s the main thing ...laughable

Like I said zip policies presented by the Libs , demonstrated well by the lib candidate in my area not even present or acknowledging a plan for the region till after the election. (And still hasn’t)

Yet they are already proposing broad cuts to key services in the region...but hey it’s only the disabled and the vulnerable that is affected

Oh look Aus voted Dutton back in despite what he said and what he stands for ...a racist piece of ******* ****

Aus got what it deserves and when things go belly up you can be safe in the knowledge that YOU voted in these clowns despite the incompetence they have shown in the last 6 years and presenting ZERO plans for the future

SC I've always liked you but you know what. Screw you and your agenda.
The last time the ALP came into power it brought in a carbon tax with its climate policies that ended our family business, and many others in this region.

My father being in poor health was moved onto the disability pension as a result. My grandmother has been forced out of her home and lives with my aunt and I had to change plans from running our family business one day to doing something else, not to mention the 20+ people who lost their jobs, who being unskilled labourers I know for a fact that only 6 have found steady work since. That was 6 years ago.

SC I've always liked you but you know what. Screw you and your agenda.
The last time the ALP came into power it brought in a carbon tax with its climate policies that ended our family business, and many others in this region.

My father being in poor health was moved onto the disability pension as a result. My grandmother has been forced out of her home and lives with my aunt and I had to change plans from running our family business one day to doing something else, not to mention the 20+ people who lost their jobs, who being unskilled labourers I know for a fact that only 6 have found steady work since. That was 6 years ago.
I’m sorry to hear the trouble that you and your family have been going through, obviously we are not going to change each other minds on the subject

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time reader of the Geelong forum and ex-poster - but this discussion made me want to comment.

The Election is pretty divisive time for a lot of people and Australia has a huge amount of political apathy (as evidenced by over 600,000 donkey / informal votes). A lot of people stay quiet and won't engage in political discussion and the meeting of ideas to figure out where they stand. The above discussion and tone is a pretty good example of why. Strange Cat it is clear you are passionate about climate change and the Labor party but your language isn't going to help convince anyone of your beliefs.

Think about the psychology about changing someone's mind. People have reasons, beliefs, and interests which inform their decision to vote a particular way. If you want to create change in a person you need to address their reasons, beliefs, and interests and show why a particular party may fit those beliefs better. Or alternatively, highlight why those reasons, beliefs, or interests may be incorrect. Attacking someone personally and just calling a party "****" isn't going to do anything to change a person's mind, they are simply going to shut down and defend/maintain their beliefs. Why listen to someone calling you an idiot?

I get it though Strange Cat, I voted Labor and was ******* upset on Saturday night despite the cats win. In my mind I was angry at people, angry at the liberals, angry at the country, but I got over that on Sunday and now it has to be how I go about achieving what I believe to be correct. And it won't be done through anger. It will be done through polite, rational discourse. I would urge you to try and engage people in a rational way. You could highlight and explain why you believe the economic cost of climate change will be huge and that the Liberals aren't taking into account when coming up with their economic model. You could address how the Liberal's tax plan greatly benefits the top 3% of Australia and doesn't really benefit the majority of the country. You could discuss how Labor's tax plan redistributes a lot of the wealth from the top to better social policies etc. You could discuss how Labor's infrastructure and spending will create jobs and how the move to renewables will create far more (and more secure) jobs in the future. All of that is better than calling a party dumb or someone dumb for voting for them.

And I would fully expect the Coalition supporters to do the same thing with their policies. I might not agree with them, but I would want them presented to me in their strongest form. This clash of ideas at their highest point will only refine, alter, and edit policy to make them better. A strong Labor policy can be challenged and refine by a close conservative mind, a strong Liberal policy can be challenged and refined by a progressive one. John Stuart Mill said it far better than me:

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”

I know this forum isn't meant for politics as they can really divide people and we are all meant to come together over our love for Geelong. So I just wanted to say, to both sides, try and engage in a constructive debate, only good can come from it.

Why bother in all honesty the Libs didn’t present anything to the public and still got voted on so a big fat meh

I only got roped into the discussion because I got sucked in by the snarky smug lib comment.

I won’t do so in the future

Libs had policies, they have been in government for 6 years implementing them. Labour’s policies were the exact reason they lost.

Labour will win in three though it’s way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think about the psychology about changing someone's mind. People have reasons, beliefs, and interests which inform their decision to vote a particular way. If you want to create change in a person you need to address their reasons, beliefs, and interests and show why a particular party may fit those beliefs better. Or alternatively, highlight why those reasons, beliefs, or interests may be incorrect. Attacking someone personally and just calling a party "****" isn't going to do anything to change a person's mind, they are simply going to shut down and defend/maintain their beliefs. Why listen to someone calling you an idiot?

Great post.

Why bother in all honesty the Libs didn’t present anything to the public and still got voted on so a big fat meh

I only got roped into the discussion because I got sucked in by the snarky smug lib comment.

I won’t do so in the future

Don’t stress on the smug front, the Labs have plenty of that. No one should feel smug from this election, overall nothing much changed from last time!! And anyway the Labs will get in next time. That’s the way it goes.

But the Cats are going great guns.

Thought the Dogs had us time and time again with smart ball usage and we got pantsed in the ruck.

Oh look Aus voted Dutton back in despite what he said and what he stands for ...a racist piece of ******* ****

I'm female, a queer child of an immigrant, a descendent of refugees and a millennial who has a fair chance of experiencing climate change ravage the earth. This election hit me a lot harder then any I have closely tracked in the last fifteen years. There has been such a backlash on social media and forums and yet it is hardly comforting knowing that I am not the only one. Hopefully Hawk kicks six on the weekend and we all have something to smile about.

This is NOT a political board.

Get back to the game preview discussion.

Posts will be moved.

GO Catters

This is NOT a political board.

Get back to the game preview discussion.

Posts will be moved.

GO Catters

Sorry Daz. We got off track somehow.

Did anyone listen to the Catattck podcast where people were saying cats crowd is quiet and not passionate? Well this board and everyone standing up when Tom took THAT mark makes a mockery of it. Personally think that the stadium terrace which is set back doesn’t allow that noise to build up. Certainly everyone around me is noisey.

This was all deliberate btw. All the infighting and disharmony meant that Morrison campaigned alone.
Most of the LNP hid away in their electorates and ScoMo campaigned for the whole party by himself.

They offered not many policy ideas but that was their plan, play a small game with a narrow focus and turn this into a referendum on electing the ALP and Shorten. Majority government and 6 senate crossbenchers should mean that they can pass legislation and provide policies in the next 3 years. Just need to find some way to appease Lambie and Xenophon to get their senate votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back