On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally managed to get 5 players together to give They Live (based on the cult 80’s movie of the same name) a run through yesterday.

It’s a long game, taking around 3.5 hours. I think on a subsequent go that could be brought down to 2.45 - 3 hours. I enjoyed it, even though we failed at the final assault from revealing the invaders. Too much chewing bubblegum and not enough Kick Ass. It could have been streamlined though, for how a round goes.

IMG_0789.jpeg IMG_0792.jpeg IMG_0793.jpeg

partner has been sick so we never went back to Scythe. I will play solo soon as understood how it worked and happy to play solo.
i ended up starting a solo (two character) campaign of Jaws of the Lion. a few scenarios in and really enjoying it. right up my alley. best thing is i have both Gloomhaven & Frosthaven to look forward to !

partner has been sick so we never went back to Scythe. I will play solo soon as understood how it worked and happy to play solo.
i ended up starting a solo (two character) campaign of Jaws of the Lion. a few scenarios in and really enjoying it. right up my alley. best thing is i have both Gloomhaven & Frosthaven to look forward to !
If you haven't bought Gloomhaven yet, then you should check out the Gloomhaven Grand Festival on backerkit. A second edition of Gloomhaven is being produced as part of it, bringing in some of the new elements from Frosthaven, plus some new scenarios and story tweaks. Having completed it already and many other campaign (and non-campaign) games to get to, we won't be grabbing, but we would wait and get that if we hadn't already completed it.

If you haven't bought Gloomhaven yet, then you should check out the Gloomhaven Grand Festival on backerkit. A second edition of Gloomhaven is being produced as part of it, bringing in some of the new elements from Frosthaven, plus some new scenarios and story tweaks. Having completed it already and many other campaign (and non-campaign) games to get to, we won't be grabbing, but we would wait and get that if we hadn't already completed it.
Thanks for the info, will do

Sleeping Gods again this weekend. We finally did the, use 8 totems, to raise the gods and get back to Earth ending. Despite 3 new totems this time, from new areas explored, we still have only gotten around a quarter across all games. Still lots of the world to explore, which we’re enjoying, so many more goes of it planned. Though not for awhile yet, with plenty of other games piled up, to play.

IMG_0823.jpeg IMG_0824.jpeg

We got through the campaign of Welcome to the Moon and a few games of Anno 1800 this weekend.

I recently sold a lot of my collection and am waiting for a few new games to arrive. Plan this week is to get ready to play a few bigger games that have been gathering dust.

We went old school tonight. Stone Age. One of the games a friend had us playing first, that got us into the hobby. Hadn’t played in 4 or 5 years, but saw a post on a group about it and decided we’d give it another go. Still a fun game and a good one to introduce non-gamers to modern board games.

IMG_0833.jpeg IMG_0831.jpeg

We went old school tonight. Stone Age. One of the games a friend had us playing first, that got us into the hobby. Hadn’t played in 4 or 5 years, but saw a post on a group about it and decided we’d give it another go. Still a fun game and a good one to introduce non-gamers to modern board games.

View attachment 1743175View attachment 1743176
I love Stone Age and will always say yes to playing it.

During COVID lockdown I bought a bunch of games and ended up never playing most of them. Decided its time to play fewer computer games and more actual games.

So I got out Mage Knight Ultimate then did what all the advice said to do, watch many hours of Youtube videos to work out the game.

Ive done the intro Explore scenario 3 times now and am really enjoying it. Next up will be the intro Conquest scenario. All with the same character. Then I will try each of the characters to decide my favourite.

Does anyone ever play the 2 player co-op scenarios solo playing both hands? Or just stick to purely solo scenarios ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight one of our latest arrivals - Taverns & Dragons. It is mainly a dice placement game. Over 7 rounds you roll your five dice and take turns placing them. The main scoring mechanism is making recipes, so ingredient collection is the thing you concentrate on most.

There are locations to visit and hero’s to get, that can provide some score end of game, but their main aim is to help you get and craft your ingredients.

Although there are dragons, they only play a small part, of attacking them to earn dragon meat, for you guessed it, recipes.

It was more fun then that makes it sound. There’s a few heroes that lets you swap dice or positions with others to get more player interaction when not your turn. Definitely will play again, both at 2 players and will try to get it out at game days with 4-5.

IMG_0862.jpeg IMG_0861.jpeg

A games catch up with a friend of wife and her partner, who are gamers (not our usual gaming group). First Deep Dive, one of our new games. Push your luck of the further you dive your penguins, the more chance they’ll get caught by a predator.

IMG_0864.jpeg

Then Forgotten Waters, took around 4 hours, but always fun. Won the mission, but personal goal didn’t get far towards.
We played Krakens Eye scenario, with Kraken going to all lengths by bringing out its huge minions to try and defeat us.

IMG_0872.jpeg IMG_0877.jpeg IMG_0876.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of games this weekend. Saturday night we tried out Point City. Collect your resource cards, to then build your buildings. A little bit more thinking required then Point Salad, which is 95% luck on who’ll win, but enough variance in cards that get drawn and simplicity in rules that even casual / non-gamers could play it.

IMG_0880.jpeg

Sunday night we didn’t want to break out one of our new games and have to learn rules. We also didn't want anything too heavy, so we had a game of Creature Comforts, as we’d been wanting to get another game of that in for awhile. Close game with a 69-68 victory.

IMG_0881.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought another Phil Walker Harding game called Monolyth.

Tile drafting, polyomino 3D spatial puzzle game. Pretty simple, easy to digest for the newer gamers at the table recently.

I still have a few big Euro games to get going, but time for games has been limited lately.

Hiking without the hard work, as we tried out Trailblazer - The John Muir Trail. Over 12 days (rounds), you’ve got to hike through 10 parts of the trail, where you only score if you reach the end (so two days only you don’t need to hike). You can collect sets of field cards (various animals etc) along the way and fill your backpack with goods.

As within each day you alternate putting out your tokens to perform actions (you start with 3, but can work up to 5), there’s little downtime between turns, which is good. Another to add to the list to try and play 4 player, but still fun at 2 players.

IMG_0910.jpeg

Games day!

Fit to Print (lost badly)
Blood Rage (smashed everyone)
Zombie Dice (won it)
Heat: Pedal to the Metal (2nd....)
And something else...

Zoo Vadis! (I lost)

IMG_8260.jpeg

Friday night Tiny Epic Crimes, first run through. Just base game, since first go. A fun one. So far of the three Tiny Epics have (Pirates, Crimes and Vikings), Pirates and Crimes are good, Vikings a miss. We’ve a few other ones we want to get at some point.

IMG_0964.jpeg

Then Games with gaming group last night.

A Halloween themed game Ding Dong, one of our friends got, was first up. Poorly edited rule book, where they’d changed what they call various components at some point and forgot to change everywhere. Once that confusion was gotten past, ok for a holiday themed game. Wouldn’t play it at any other time.

IMG_0966.jpeg

Next, continuing Charterstone. Only the 5th game so still a lot to go of it.

IMG_0967.jpeg

Then a couple of short games to finish off. Point City and Burger Up.

IMG_0970.jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg

Tiny Epic Crimes, with the mini-expansions and playing the co-op mode last night.

IMG_0982.jpeg

Then tonight first go of Funfair. Quicker and simpler than Unfair (and of course minus ways to screw the other player). The quicker game play is a plus, as sometimes just have only limited time or just want a game that doesn’t take 2+ hours from setup to pack away.

IMG_0984.jpeg

It's taken quite a few months but my group's almost finished cycle 1 of Aeon Trespass Odyssey.

Love them boss battlers.
How many playing in your group?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back