On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

A mate has Machi Koro - it will get a run soon.

It's a simple, fun little game. I have to be honest though, it isn't much more to it than that. There's little depth to speak of and it mostly does come down to the luck of the dice. I'm told, however, that the expansions make a world of difference.

Not much gaming was done by I over the weekend. I played Warhammer Quest a bit (iOS app) and got in a game of Mythotopia yesterday.

Rampage - played against the 5 yo. I decided to play full on, collecting sets and chucking trucks at him. He enjoyed the new aspects as I usually go easy and play 1 point per meeple rather than 10 points per set of six

Played (and won) Machi Koro on Friday night. Notes from the owner:

frustrated by Machi Koro. I really enjoyed the game the first time I played it. Last night it just went on far too long. I still like the game itself, IF it takes 30 mins.
I think one of the problems is the expansion added 2 extra landmarks to build. one is the harbour which only costs 2, so no biggie. The other, however, is the airport which costs 30. When you add the purple cards that makes it much harder to complete. I'd probably just leave the airport out next time (game would have finished earlier) and look at trimming the deck a bit. it is a nice filler when it is shorter.​

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450601432.499215.jpg

I won at the end with a double 2 - got me nothing but other players made money, extra turn, double 4 - players racked up cash, I had tax office so I got half of their money... Extra turn, I rolled 8, everyone made money, I taxed them. Had a good 40 bucks so I bought my final card and won.

One player picked up low numbers so he could earn money with one dice, then had blue cards above 6 to earn while we rolled two dice.

Interesting game, nice that you can try a couple of different strategies.

Last edited:

Had a couple of people around and we ended up playing three card games. Epic Spell Wars, very good, fun filler game. Rise of Cthulu - not all that replayable and needs expansions. Smash Up, for which I need to buy an expansion or two.

I was a bit sloshed so I didn't win anything.

Just took on the beast that is Twilight Imperium 3.

A lot of work to learn the game but a rewarding exercise, really deserves its epic standing, just hard to get a game that complex and long to the table on many occasions :(

If ever you get the chance to try it out don't pass it up :)

Just took on the beast that is Twilight Imperium 3.

A lot of work to learn the game but a rewarding exercise, really deserves its epic standing, just hard to get a game that complex and long to the table on many occasions :(

If ever you get the chance to try it out don't pass it up :)
I'm sure we could do something in Vassal? It has to be out there. Would only take two-three years to play online :)

Played some Pairs, Love Letter, and Rise To Power on new years day. Played the others before, but Rise To Power was a first go - took us something silly like 90 minutes to finish one game, but had it figured out by the end, could probably do it in 30 like the box says by the third playthrough.
Love letter is hat I'm buying next. How does it go?

Love letter is hat I'm buying next. How does it go?

It's quick, fun, and has a well thought out game mechanic. Doesn't take long to play, a whole game with 4 players is 15 minutes, but you never feel rushed.

I have the Tempest edition, the Kanai edition is probably the best one imo, but there are a lot of themed decks out there now as well.

Played some Coup, Betrayal At The House On The Hills, and The Resistance: Avalon over new years. Would recommend all of them, heaps of fun.
Looking forward to Betrayal - we just have such a big queue of games to get through in our group :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played Ticket To Ride Europe and Suburbia yesterday. Only one of our little group had played TTR before (the original version once). We decided to play without the train stations so can't say how good/bad/easy/hard they make the game. Otherwise I really liked it ... other than having a dog of a time getting my hands on a wild card, unlike one of the guys playing. Easy to learn, reasonably quick to play, and some genuine thinking involved. I'd imagine once you get familiar with the route cards it's easier to recognise what routes people are trying to complete.

Suburbia was great. I posted about it in the Suburbia thread.

We've now played it a couple more times, still without the train stations, so will add those in next time round.

Game day yesterday for a mate's birthday.

Roll for the Galaxy - Always a good one. Came equal second.

Blood Rage - Absolutely great game, even though I came 4th... of 4 players. Get it if you don't have it. I would have played this again gladly.

Libertalia - I was getting a bit pissed by this point so I had no faculties to deal with this as a 6-player game. Also have a cold or virus or something so just wasn't making any good decisions.

Galaxy Truckers - Another great, fun game. I won! I must have sobered up...

Other people played Kemet, La Granja (Spanish farming??), Greed and Splendor

Last edited:
Saturday the family around to a friends for the afternoon. Not a long stay, but tried out -
Between two cities - interesting as you build a city with a partners help either side and your lowest city score is your final score. So you can't directly screw your non-partners and want to balance both your cities score.
Duel (2 player version of 7 Wonders) - cut down version for 2 players only. Good for when you don't have that 3rd or more players.

Last edited:
Played Saturday with some mates.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41114/resistance
The Resistance seemed a juiced up version of Werewolf/Mafia and created some heated, and hilarious, accusation discussions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic
It had been a while since I'd played Pandemic and it was a new games for the rest, so I sat out and effectively GM'ed the game. We also had 7 people so some roles were shared by 2 people (which worked quite well to be honest). I/We stuffed up the Researchers ability in the first game in that we weren't limiting the card transfer to just the Researcher handing over a card. Not sure we would have won if we'd played that bit correctly. Having the researcher, dispatcher, scientist and medic roles in play helped things along too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels
I liked Citadels but would need more play to get familiar with the different characters and their abilities. Definitely quick to set up and not too tough to explain.

So has anyone played Pandemic Legacy yet? Interested in getting this, as the wife and I catch up once a month with a friend who also wants to do it, so we could do it over the year. I don't know why there's the fuss for paying $80 - $100 for a game that would provide, with 3 players, between 36 and 72 hours entertainment, just as you can't play multiple times. It comes out to not much more than a dollar an hour. Shit load cheaper then the movies or anywhere else for a comparable amount of time.

And a photo...
bloodrage.jpg

Action Phase of the Second Age. Relatively peaceful...

Note: We screwed up the setup. We kept dealing out three ragnarok provinces in a row on the board. By the time we had a set we thought would work nicely I forgot to draw the initial destroyed province.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back