Official French Grand Prix Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well qualifying is over and it's yet another pole position to Montoya! His 5th in a row, he only needs 2 more to equal Nigem Mansell's record.

Very interesting qualifying session, and sadly we are only going to have 19 runners tonight. However the top 6 were covered by less than 0.5 of a second, so it could be close.

Both Arrows only did 3 laps to cover their contractual obligations and then parked, both well outside the 107% - a very sad result.

Fisichella had a big shunt in practice and will not race either. The grid is below - another good effort by Webber. Other good drives were Raikkonen, Irvine and Button, while Ralf and Coulthard had days to forget.

In other news Renault confirmed they were dropping Button for Fernando Alonso in 2003, so it looks like Button is off to Sauber, another backward step for him.

1. MONTOYA Williams BMW 1'11"985
2. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1'12"008
3. BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1'12"197
4. RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes 1'12"244
5. R.SCHUMACHER Williams BMW 1'12"424
6. COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes 1'12"498
7. BUTTON Renault 1'12"761
8. TRULLI Renault 1'13"030
9. IRVINE Jaguar Cosworth 1'13"188
10. HEIDFELD Sauber Petronas 1'13"370
11. PANIS BAR Honda 1'13"457
12. MASSA Sauber Petronas 1'13"501
13. VILLENEUVE BAR Honda 1'13"506
14. SATO Jordan Honda 1'13"542
15. DE LA ROSA Jaguar Cosworth 1'13"656
16. SALO Toyota 1'13"837
17. MCNISH Toyota 1'13"949
18. WEBBER Minardi Asiatech 1'14"800
19. YOONG Minardi Asiatech 1'16"798
20. FRENTZEN Arrows Cosworth 1'18"497
21. BERNOLDI Arrows Cosworth 1'19"843

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
In other news Renault confirmed they were dropping Button for Fernando Alonso in 2003, so it looks like Button is off to Sauber, another backward step for him.

He has certainly gone downhill the last season and a half. Gone from the next big thing to becoming just another midfield driver.

Another race, another win for Michael Schumacher. The championship is now over, makes the remaining races seem very boring. However there was one funny moment in the race, when they left the jack under Barrichello's car meaning he had to pull out of the race. Stupid thing to do but quite funny.

It really didn't matter that they left the car on the jacks (apart from looking stupid) as he couldn't start the car anyway.

Not a bad race - Raikkonen was extremely stiff after driving a superb race. McLaren always seem to do well at Magny-Cours.

Martin Brundle said he didn't think Schumacher drove that well, but I thought he did a fantastic job considering he received a drive through penalty. Some of his laps in the middle sector were fantastic.

Williams were a major disappointment once again, no real excuse for been so far off the pace.

I was disappointed they didn't mention Webber a bit more - 8th is a fantastic effort. Sato managed another dismal crash, the sooner Eddie Jordan gives him the flick the better. Good to see Jenson give Flavio the big up yours with a points finish as well.

And how generous of Channel Slime not to even show the podium - after all, it was only the win that sealed a record-equalling 5th championship. :rolleyes:

German GP at 11PM next week - it's a completely modified circuit with a lot more overtaking opportunities, which will make for some interesting racing.

Both Arrows only did 3 laps to cover their contractual obligations and then parked, both well outside the 107% - a very sad result.

Given that this is possibly Heinz Harlad Frentzens last season in F1 it even more dissapointing to see this happen. He deserves better than this. He impressed me immensely in his debut season and I have been a big fan of HHF ever since, although he did not reach the heights I had hoped he would. Lets hope Arrows get their act together and HHF gets a chance to bow out of F1 (if he does decide to retire) in a manner he so richly deserves.

Cheers

HHF Fan

Whats happening with Arrows??

I'm assuming that they have gone broke.

Come at a bad time for them too, Frentzen was just starting to put some good drives in for them.

Arrows are hoping a new buyer will bail them out - probably will happen because they have a competative car.

Look at Silverstone, didn't compete in practice on the Friday due to lack of funds, yet still outqualified the Jaguars (who have the same engine) and Frentzen was in the points until his engine blew.

Button has moved to BAR - confirmed today. So Panis is out of a drive, I'm tipping he will replace McNish at Toyota.

Arrows are hoping a new buyer will bail them out - probably will happen because they have a competative car.

Look at Silverstone, didn't compete in practice on the Friday due to lack of funds, yet still outqualified the Jaguars (who have the same engine) and Frentzen was in the points until his engine blew.

Button has moved to BAR - confirmed today. So Panis is out of a drive, I'm tipping he will replace McNish at Toyota.

Jaguar would have to be the biggest disappointment this year. Even Minardi have been out qualifying them.

What engine do they run with?? Ford Cosworth?? They are usually pretty reliable engines.

I wouldn't mind Webber getting a chance in the Toyota. They seem to have a bit of power about them and they can only get better as they become more experienced with the F1 technologies.

The only problem for Webber is that with the loss of Arrows and Prost the number of drivers into the number of seats is getting worse. It took Webber longer than others to get a chance in F1 because he does not have the multi-million dollar sponsors that people like Yoong have, if he was given a chance in a decent factory team like Toyota it would be interesting to see what he would do because he definitely wants out of Minardi.

Originally posted by Unwritten_Law

Jaguar would have to be the biggest disappointment this year. Even Minardi have been out qualifying them.

What engine do they run with?? Ford Cosworth?? They are usually pretty reliable engines.

They are reasonable engines - better than the dud Hondas but not up to the level they should be for the amount of money Ford are pumping in.

The real problem at Jaguar is the chassis - it's a total dud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back