Off set smokers/Pellet smokers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all ,
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the above?
During ISO I got right into smoking/slow low cooking on my webber.
So looking at an upgrade for Christmas , looking at having around $500-600 to play with .

Any thoughts experiences appreciated !

On your budget, you're best getting an offset smoker. The only difficulty with an offset smoker (stick burner) and a pellet smoker is that you're going to have to be far more hands on with the stick burner, and it will require a bit more effort and time to keep at the right temperature.

Pellet smokers start a bit out of your price range already, and pellets cost a mint in Australia - around 3x the price of what they pay in the US. Our meat is a lot more expensive too which means a full brisket cook with pellets could set you back $150 - $200. You also won't get quite as good results as you do from a well used stick burner.

Grab whatever decently reviewed stick burner in your price range, then watch this video from Aaron Franklin on modifying it, and this one on managing your fire to get the best results. Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you spend on the smoker because results are going to be impacted most by how you use it.

Good luck!

Hi all ,
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the above?
During ISO I got right into smoking/slow low cooking on my webber.
So looking at an upgrade for Christmas , looking at having around $500-600 to play with .

Any thoughts experiences appreciated !

How has the weber gone for smoking?

Are you upgrading to increase size of cooks?

On your budget, you're best getting an offset smoker. The only difficulty with an offset smoker (stick burner) and a pellet smoker is that you're going to have to be far more hands on with the stick burner, and it will require a bit more effort and time to keep at the right temperature.

Pellet smokers start a bit out of your price range already, and pellets cost a mint in Australia - around 3x the price of what they pay in the US. Our meat is a lot more expensive too which means a full brisket cook with pellets could set you back $150 - $200. You also won't get quite as good results as you do from a well used stick burner.

Grab whatever decently reviewed stick burner in your price range, then watch this video from Aaron Franklin on modifying it, and this one on managing your fire to get the best results. Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you spend on the smoker because results are going to be impacted most by how you use it.

Good luck!
Thanks ! I was going to go offset but had a look at a few in the 200-300 range and they just looked a bit flimsy .
I then saw a Fornutto pellet for $400 down from $600 so that became a bit of an option.
Would love to go higher end but a bit overkill atm

Would a 5kg bag pellets do a decent Brisket or Boston Butt ?

Thanks ! I was going to go offset but had a look at a few in the 200-300 range and they just looked a bit flimsy .
I then saw a Fornutto pellet for $400 down from $600 so that became a bit of an option.
Would love to go higher end but a bit overkill atm

Would a 5kg bag pellets do a decent Brisket or Boston Butt ?

A 5kg bag would do a pork shoulder easily, doesn't take anywhere near as long as a brisket and a lot harder to stuff up. You might be able to get a brisket done with 5kg but it really depends on a few things;

1. The size of the brisket
2. Temp you cook
3. Quality of the pellets (there are a lot of crappy ones out there, like the ones they sell at Bunnings)

Brisket cooks are definitely a special occasion type thing if you're going to do it, and it's best to have more than 5kg on deck if you're going to do them.

Also a bit that goes into pellets for whether you want flavour or less smoke and just heat, but oak is good for most cooks.

A 5kg bag would do a pork shoulder easily, doesn't take anywhere near as long as a brisket and a lot harder to stuff up. You might be able to get a brisket done with 5kg but it really depends on a few things;

1. The size of the brisket
2. Temp you cook
3. Quality of the pellets (there are a lot of crappy ones out there, like the ones they sell at Bunnings)

Brisket cooks are definitely a special occasion type thing if you're going to do it, and it's best to have more than 5kg on deck if you're going to do them.

Also a bit that goes into pellets for whether you want flavour or less smoke and just heat, but oak is good for most cooks.
So after all that think Im going to get a bullet/vertical smoker.
Ticks the boxes Im after and can get decent quality unit in my price range

So after all that think Im going to get a bullet/vertical smoker.
Ticks the boxes Im after and can get decent quality unit in my price range

I don't have a lot of (or any) experience using one of them, keep us posted with results!

I don't have a lot of (or any) experience using one of them, keep us posted with results!
Will do 👍, got a Fornetto Razzo . Looked a lot more solid and better constructed then the others in that price range.
On sale too , so looks a decent buy.

Im off until the 11th so enough time for a test cook then 3-4 of the real stuff .

oak is good for most cooks.
Been using an Aldi "Hark" knock off for a number of years with good results.
Did 3 racks of short ribs yesterday which came out excellent!
I have always used (dry) fruit tree wood for smoking. The smoke is a bit more subtle than hickory or mesquite.
Never used oak before, in fact never even heard of anybody using oak. I would imagine it has quite a strong flavour!

Been using an Aldi "Hark" knock off for a number of years with good results.
Did 3 racks of short ribs yesterday which came out excellent!
I have always used (dry) fruit tree wood for smoking. The smoke is a bit more subtle than hickory or mesquite.
Never used oak before, in fact never even heard of anybody using oak. I would imagine it has quite a strong flavour!
Post oak is pretty common in Texas BBQ.

There's a really nice Texas style BBQ place in Keilor called Houstons and they use red gum or iron bark, whichever they can get.

There's a really nice Texas style BBQ place in Keilor called Houstons and they use red gum or iron bark, whichever they can get.

Come to think of it, one of my sons gave us a voucher for a restaurant in the Dandenongs which was using redgum to smoke their meat.
Was good!

Persnally, I've always found that dry fruit tree wood has a much more pleasant smell to it. If you can get some give it a try!
I had a peach tree which died so I'm using that (although I'm almost finished the lot now). Had I known how good it was I probably would have considered ring barking it before it died.

Unfortunately, I'm in the SE burbs so unlikely to get to Houstons (but appreciate the tip)

I assume you are familiar with Meatheads AmazingRibs site. American, but some really goods info on there

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go to Houstons pretty regularly as its local for me .

Would say its the best American BBQ ive had here in Melbourne

I go to Houstons pretty regularly as its local for me .

Would say its the best American BBQ ive had here in Melbourne
I've had most of the good BBQ in Melbourne and I'd agree. Best brisket, hands down.

I’ve been using a Traeger for a few years now, goes down a treat. They are a bit pricier but love the remote temp monitoring on it. Also been using the electric slow cooker for slow cooked pulled pork, osso bucco, curries, lamb shanks etc. so easy and works so well.

I’ve been using a Traeger for a few years now, goes down a treat. They are a bit pricier but love the remote temp monitoring on it. Also been using the electric slow cooker for slow cooked pulled pork, osso bucco, curries, lamb shanks etc. so easy and works so well.
Traeger is next on my list . Hopefully get one in the next year or two.

Red Gum BBQ down at Red Hill is great. Sell decent pellets, wood,etc as well as cracking brisket and pork. They also sell packages in smoking your meat, and then eating! (Good Christie presents)
Traeger is brilliant, can’t fault it
Komodo egg is a great unit, super efficient with fuel and a nice even heat. You just need to remortgage the house to buy one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back