List Mgmt. Off-season- what is your pass mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we secure a ruck option, do we still need a stop gap for Bruce or does English playing permanently forward cover that?
English moves to a full time forward which fixes the bruce gap

If we secure a ruck option, do we still need a stop gap for Bruce or does English playing permanently forward cover that?
I’d still like some depth. A Naughton, English & JUH sounds good for now and the future, but the reality is that JUH may not be ready to contribute for a full season. Tom Lynch that could be had for free could fill that third mobile tall type right away.

I reckon we've got greater needs elsewhere.

Unless we can get a Lynch/Casboult depth option for nothing, I think we can roll with Naughton, English, Jamarra, Schache and Darcy as options, especially as Bruce will also be back towards the end of the year

I don't disagree much with what has already been posted above, my concern is what if we don't entice a mature KPD or ruck?

We could potentially be running out round 1, 2022 without:
Martin (retired)
Wood (retired)
Bruce (not back until late 2022)
McLean (not back until second half 2022)
Wallis and/or Dunkley (? traded - will Dunkley seek to move again, will Wallis accept being overlooked most of this season, turning 29 in the off-season?)

Naughton, JUH and possibly English will be a very young set of key forwards, who will miss Bruce's experience, blocking, etc.

Plus Bruce will be 30 by the time he is back, and coming off an ACL late into a season, likely to have minimal impact, so we are looking at 2023 for him to (hopefully) get back to 2021 levels.

Do we use our surfeit of mid fielders (having seen not all can be played to their optimum when most/all are available) to trade quality for quality? I suspect Power is confident enough to do something like that, I can only imagine the melts on here no matter who is potentially traded?

Personally I believe Bont and Macrae are untouchable, Liber not a tradeable commodity given age, Treloar's contract likewise. Will we have to deal with a BSmith, West, Dunkley trade, as that is what it will take to prise out a quality tall? Lipinski or Richards are not going to net us players we want, more likely picks if they are ever traded. (I'm not advocating any of these trades btw, just illustrating what it will take to achieve an inbound quality KPD or ruckman. I realise a younger developing option may be cheaper, e.g. Vital's example of McLean as a ruckman, but worst case we may need to give up someone we really don't want to.)

Does anyone have a clue on our salary cap situation, are we under or over?
What would be our number if we can find a way to dump JJ's albatross contract, 600K would be a good starting number for a decent ruck.
The list management has invested heavily in our salary cap for the midfield, so we need some good cheap foot soldiers.

Other posters have correctly identified another KPD, who has decent experience.
We need to rookie list another Ruck and a KPD, Keathy is late 20's, maybe 4 good years of him as he started footy last in his career.

And yeah, someone who is capable of teaching our fwd's how to correctly drop the ball and kick it straight through the goals.

My wish list would be a ready made ruck, who can play around the field as well.

The reality, we don’t have draft picks, none of rucks that meet these requirements are available, we are still in the hunt.

Watching Gawn single handed destroy Geelong last night does show the importance of the ruck role.

As an after thought, we need to do something about our conditioning, Melbourne’s charmed run with injuries is more good planning than luck. We need this part of our club to be reviewed.
A lot of our injuries were collision type injuries not sure how the S&C team can prevent that. We must be due a good run soon you would think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back