Number 38 - Michael 'Sonny' Walters (Pick 53 - 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

jgb99

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
BF Buddies: jgb99 and Cameron_K

Michael Walters vs Vic Metro (2008 U-18 Championships)

[youtube]zrcQ1s02MOk[/youtube]

Michael_Walters_Draft_246a.jpg

michael_walters.jpg

154067.jpg

AFL.com.au profile

Date of birth: 7/1/9
Height: 177cm
Weight: 75kg
Club: Swan Districts/Midvale JFC

Bio: A highly-skilled midfielder/forward, Walters has great ability with both hand and foot. He has good awareness, agility and can win the ball in contested or uncontested situations. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate, Walters represented Western Australia in 2008. From Midvale FC.

Jason McCartney says: Michael has just got exquisite skills and his balance is quite phenomenal. He's quite small, he plays in the midfield and a bit up forward and he's quite creative, but he also has a real hardness about his game. He's another left footer who kicks the ball well. We played him a bit in a back pocket for a couple of games with the academy and he really impressed. His closing speed to get a fist in and spoil was superb and then the way he set up and rebounded was quite phenomenal.

Stats: NAB AFL Under 18 Championships Team Mt K HB D M HO T G W.A. 5 10.6 4.6 15.2 5.8 0.0 1.6 1.4
In his own words

What sort of player are you?
I normally play rover, swapping forward pocket.

Strengths?
Probably my offensive skills. I like to set someone up in the centre or push forward and try to kick a goal when I can.

Weaknesses?
My fitness.

Which AFL team do you support?
I go for Geelong.

Which AFL player do you feel you most resemble?
I’d really like to play like Gary Ablett but I don’t reckon I’m at that level yet. I’ve got to get a bit fitter and I’ve got to become better defensively.
Coach Couch's combined profile:

Michael Walters - (OM) 7 January 1991, 177cm 75kg. WA/Swan Districts

"Nicko4: Walters may stand only 175cm, but he proved at the 2007 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships he could be an elite goalkicking midfielder at the highest level. He not only led division one in disposals with 87 in the three games, but his tally of 10 goals was also the equal most. He had an elite 85% kicking efficiency, led the carnival with 40 effective kicks, and was most damaging as an inside player as he won the second most contested possession and most clearances of any player."

"???: Walters – Very classy. Decision making and kicking was very good (set up a few goals early) and kicked a couple of goals himself. Safe hands as well - took a v.good OH grab too up forward. He’s small and slightly built, but more than willing to put his body on line when needed. 20 disposals, 3 goals."

"Jason McCartney: Michael Walters - Another AIS boy, Michael was quality. He didn't waste a possession after starting in the midfield in the first half and spent the second half up forward. He's extremely creative and booted three goals. He also ended up 20 possessions and had a really good game."

"Jason McCartney: Michael Walters – He had 18 disposals and for a little guy, he was good in a marking situation. There is no doubt he is a super talent, but I saw some really selfless acts. The defensive side of the game is starting to catch on and that's the pleasing thing. It's complementing his great skills."

"HFF 07: MICHAEL WALTERS 177cm 75kg BP/FP Swan Districts
Small pocket player, has good pace and is clever with his disposal, is a little outside, but can win his own ball, was AA so is a capable player,
PROS: - Pace, Skills, Goal kicking,
CONS: - Outside, Size,
PREDICTION: 15 - 35"

"PAV for AA:17 Michael WALTERS 07-Jan-91 177 75 Swan Districts Football Club- Best on Ground for W.A along with Clancee Pearce
Worked well around the stoppages
Very creative
Nice acceleration and Good closing speed
Very High footy IQ, exceptional positioning
Hits most of his targets"

"foj1:: 21. Michael Walters 177cm 75kg
Very talented little man with a nice burst of speed and A1 disposal. Is able to win his own ball and also dangerous around the big sticks. Very hard to guess where this bloke will go come November but has a ton of talent and is very exciting."

"ant555: Michael Walters – 177cm, 75kg – Swan Districts.
Small forward or midfielder with great pace and good skills. Plays a bit outside. Very good ground level pick up and very creative with his hands. Kicks mainly left side and uses the ball well. He leads well as a forward and his crumbing work is good. His forward pressure was also very good during the champs.
Prediction – pick 10 to 30."

"Sico 17: Michael Walters (Swan Districts): 7 January 1991 - 177cm 75kg
Plays in the midfield but has the quickness and skills to make a dangerous forward.
Season so far: 4 Colts games, 0 goals. 1 U18 game, 3 goals."

"stu: Michael Walters - Started at Midvale JFC at 9yrs. left footer. Small but very, very hard at the ball. fantastic ball skills ( very special.. Cousins like ). Plays Midfield and forward. Played State Schoolboys, State 16’s (best at carnival ), State 18’s and all Australian squad. Won fairest and best at Swans every year in Juniors and 13’s, 15’s at Midvale JFC ( drew with Blight in 14’s ) runner up to Blight every other year . He will draft no doubt at all. Has had a few injury’s lately. Has footy smarts and a gifted player. His dad played in the SANFL"
Brad Lloyd on Walters:

Selection No.53: Michael Walters
Swan Districts/Midvale FC, WA, Midfielder/forward, January 7 1991, 177cm, 75kg
"He's a midfielder who can play as a small forward as well. He's a really good kick of the footy."
Pav for AA on Walters:

Michael Walters 177/75 Swan Districts

STYLE LIKE: Simon Goodwin

*TRADEMARK: Sidestep out of congestion

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

*DISPOSAL, DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:
- Very accurate on his favoured left boot. Can kick the ball well over 50 or 20 metres

- I love his approach to the game, very attacking. Always looks to the corridor when in possession

- Very good field passing. Doesn't like to wait for an option however, can make his teammate run to where he wants them to go. This can be good or bad

- Good tackler in close. Will have to watch his elbows. Likes to fend off a little too robustly.

- More of an accumulator than a standout runner. Finds time and space well in congestion. Blink and you’ll miss is 2ft handpass.

*HANDS: Clean

*OVERHEAD MARKING: Ok, not a strength, not a weakness.

*ATHLETICISM, INTENSITY, ETHIC, CONSISTENCY:

- Not the best acceleration, relies more on his quick foot work to find space.

. Runs on good angles. Always takes the shortish route possible

- Different build. Looks skinny, having seen him whip his shirt off at Blue Steele a few times it looks as though he has high skin folds. Hard to pinpoint.

- Not a big leap, very smart at ground level. Dangerous around goal and an intense character. Loves the physicality of the contest.

- Good work ethic. Applies very good defensive pressure. Spoils well for a small man.
Improvement Scope
High. Can see him becoming a constant fixture of a clubs midfield brigade after a good couple of preseasons. Could become a top flight mid

*AFL VERSATILITY:
Limited to a degree by his height and acceleration. Will play mostly as a midfielder pushing forward. Early on will play as small forward while he bulks up.

*QUERY:

- Body type. Not overly athletic.
TheBigUnit on Walters:

Michael Walters (Swan Districts)

Brief: Bottom aged, creative, hard working, footy smart small rover/forward with plenty of aggro and a deadly left foot.

DOB: 7th January 1991
Height: 177cm
Weight: 75kg
Preferred foot: Left foot

AFL player comparison: Alan Didak/Daniel Kerr hybrid

Projected Quality: 6.5 to 9

Background

- Played his junior footy with Midvale FC (started at 9 years old) in the Swan Districts region
- Followed the regular development pathway working through the Swan Districts system, as well as state schoolboys, under 16s (Kevin Sheehan medallist) and under 18s (AA)
- Father played SANFL

Honours:

- 2007 Kevin Sheehan medallist (B&F U16 carnival)
- 2008 WAFL Colts premiership player
- 2008 WA U18 Squad
- 2008 WAFL Colts Team of the year – Rover
- 2008 AA U18 team - FP

2008 Form:

After an excellent 2007 season, where he won the Kevin Sheehan medal in the U16 National Championships as the player of the tournament, Walters headed into 2008 as one of the pre-season predicted top 25 prospects in the draft. After a good start to the year in the WAFL colts competition he hit the start of the under 18 championships in a good vein of form and continued to impress.

His first game against NSW/ACT was excellent (BOG IMO), playing mainly off a HFF and on the wing he was instrumental in finishing the game off early with his creativeness, delivery inside 50 and goal sense. He finished with impressive stats of 20 disposal, 4 marks, 3.0. He maintained his form with a solid performance away against SA picking up 15 disposals, 7 marks, 0.2 in another comfortable win.

Back at home against Vic Country he played an OK game in an upset loss, with 11 disposals, 5 marks, and 1.2 (notably setting up others well), but I felt he was poorly coached - being left deep in the forward pocket for a lot of the time in which WA were getting badly beaten, where he would’ve been more valuable up the ground through the midfield/wing regions with his creativity.

His final two games of the U18 championships were good with 12 disposals, 5 marks and 3.0 against Tasmania and 20 disposal, 7 mark, 1 tackle, 1 SA, 0.2 game against Vic Metro, where he was named in the best players both times.

Upon returning from the U18 championships, he continued his previous good performances in the WAFL colts, earning promotion to the Reserves side. After a superb debut at that level – 27 disposals, 6 marks, 4.1, he was promoted to league footy. His debut was cut short early on with an ankle injury that saw him sit out the rest of the game. He missed a couple of weeks, before returning to the reserves for one week, then getting another opportunity at league level in the last round of the H&A season against Peel, where he produce a 11 disposal, 2 marks, 2.3 game.

He was demoted back to the Colts for the finals series, into a team that was weakened by so many of it’s star players playing league footy. Nevertheless, they had a successful finals campaign, despite losing the 1st game, and Walters was a key part of it – playing a vital role through the midfield. He had two 20 disposals, 2 marks, 1.0 games in the first 2 finals, just outside the bests both times – kicking a freak goal from the boundary against East Perth. He put in his best performance of the finals series in the GF with a 25 disposal, 4 marks, 1.3 game, influential through some torrid weather and named in Swan Districts bests.

Disposal/Decision making – Kicking 8.5/10, Handballing 9/10

- Highly creative by both methods of disposal
- Hands are lightning quick in congestion, clean, sharp feeds and combined with superb vision inside traffic.

- Accurate, low trajectory left foot kick – excellent ball spin and good technically

- Upper range around 50m (lacks the strength/power to really carry it beyond that).

- First class, pinpoint delivery inside 50 to forwards – big goal assist player (lead the stat at the 2008 U18 championships).
- Left foot dominant, rarely uses but does seem to have quite good ability on his right from the little I’ve seen him use it.

- Hurt factor is high by both hand and foot .

Hands – 9.5/10

- Excellent below the knees

- Invariably a one touch player with very good ball control

- Rarely fumbles.

Aerial ability – 7.5/10

- Very strong overhead for his height

- Not blessed with a big vertical leap and but has an above average reach for his height
- Holds his position well

- Good spoiler

Footy Nous/Ball Winning Ability – Footy Nous 9/10, Ball winning ability 9/10

- Excellent footy smarts – very good reaction time/instincts at stoppages

- Reads the play very well around the ground - links up well through the middle

- Attacks the football (as well as the man) very hard too.

- Prolific 1st possession/clearance winner through the midfield

- Very good extracting ability coupled with lightning quick hands.

Work Ethic – Offensive 9/10, Defensive 8.5/10

- Hard worker

- Works both ways well and his defensive pressure, particularly around stoppages is very good

- Good ability at worrying/pressuring opponents off the ball and then winning it himself.

- Good tackler in tight (doesn't have the pace for run-down tackles) and excellent attack, but has a tendency to go too high at times rather than focusing on tackling the hips.

- Frequently presents as an option off HBF to the defence for an UC mark and runs hard on the outside to get HBRs

Goal Kicking Ability – 8/10

- Highly opportunistic - can make something out of nothing
- Naturally a crumber that will play at the key forwards feet (can take a grab, but doesn't lead at the footy much)

- Can kick them from all angles I50 - tries for the freakish 'Didak'-type goals a lot - sometimes they come off, but as a consequence he can kick quite a lot of behinds (will need to exercise a bit more discretion at AFL)
- Pushes I50 with good effect from the midfield/flanks

Athleticism – 5.5/10

- Pace is below average – instincts/RT make him seem quicker than he actually is, but over distances greater than 5m he is 'ruckman' slow

- Lateral movement is good – has a very nice sidestep and moves through traffic very well.

- He runs both hard and smart (covers ground better than you would expect)

- Wouldn't expect beep tests or 3km runs to be a strong point of his (didn't test at 2008 DC) - has mentioned his endurance as an area of his game he finds weak/would particularly like to improve.

- Vertical leap is below average

- Slippery/elusive, but lacks power and strength

- Well balanced – keeps his feet very well under contested pressure in traffic

Versatility – 7/10

- Would expect midfield/HFF/FP, starting off with the latter 2 as he develops the size and engine over a number of pre-seasons.
- Could play as a creative HBF playmaker

AFL Ready?

- No

- Played 2 games of senior footy and performed quite well in one game as a small forward.

- Despite being far off it physically, might be an outside chance to play a few games next year as a crumbing forward with some good state league form behind him,

Upside

- Bottom aged and physically/strength/conditioning wise he will need plenty of improvement

- Bodyshape is far from ideal at present - smallish frame and skinny-fat - has the hunched over shoulders look and skinfolds will need attention - were the highest at DC (once improved to AFL standard there should be some big improvements athleticism-wise).
- Doesn’t really project as being a big build at this stage

Overal Assessment

Walters is 100% footballer that does some special things with an oval ball in his hands and you can't fault the way he goes about his football. If he wasn't physically or athletically challenged he'd be a first round certainty, but as it is 2nd round looks the more likely spot. If that side of his game can be sorted with a few AFL pre-seasons, I have little doubt the club that drafts him will have an excellent player on their hands, that everyone will be saying in hindsight should've gone higher.

Strengths
-Disposal/DM/Creativity/vision by both hand and foot
-Footy Nous/Ball winning ability
-Goal kicking ability
-Lateral movement
-Inside/clearance ability
- Physicality
-Versatility
-Work ethic

Weaknesses

-Height
-Athleticism (Pace, Endurance)

-Skinny-fat build
- Lack of power and strength

Query?

Will he develop the build for AFL level?
How much can his athleticism be improved?

Stats:

2008 AFL U18 Championships Stats (5 games, 2 bests):

11 kicks, 5.6 handballs, 5.6 marks, 1.4 goals, 1.2 behinds

2008 WAFL Stats (2 games – NOTE: ankle injury early in debut game):

5 kicks, 1.5 handballs, 1 mark, I50s, 0.5 FF, 1 goals, 1.5 behinds

2008 WAFL Reserves Stats (2 games, 2 bests):

11.5 kicks, 7.5 handballs, 5.5 marks, 0.5 FF, 1.5 FA, 1.5 I50s, 3 goals, 1 behind

2008 WAFL Colts Stats (9 games, 4 bests):

16.4 kicks, 8 handballs, 4.9 marks, 2.1 FF, 2.1 FA, 0.3 HO, I50s, 0.7 goals, 1 behind
Tim Clarke on Walters:

Michael Walters
Age 17
Hgt 177
Wgt 75

Team: Swan Districts/Midvale JFC

Small forward/midfielder who kicks well on his preferred left side using the ball very effectively short or long. Wins contested possession (Av 7 per game), reads the ball well off hands. Kicked 7 goals 8 behinds for the Championships and importantly led the competition in goal assists with 7. Very good player in Western Australian loss to Vic Metro in the final.

Champion Data Ranking Average Points: 117.65

mjp on Walters:

7/.Michael Walters - Small forward/mid - Swans

Honest to goodness rover - and there are not a lot around. Good front and centre player, hard running, good foot skills...I worry about him being left in a pocket for extended periods - he is a very different player to Yarran - but will win the ball and provide good link up around the ground.

More from stu (coach from Midvale JFC) on Walters:

I have seen or coached all of the 5 Midvale Boys in the Draft Camp ( and Ellard ) over 10 years. They all have something special. Naitanui is undoubtably a gifted athlete, lacks some of the skills of Blight, Walters and Yarran but is very Marketable, so will be in the top mix. Walters and Yarran can be very spectacular to watch and thus will catch the eye. Blight and Daly just get on with it and go under the Radar.
My order in skill level. Walters, Blight, Yarran, Naitanui, Daly.
Walters is very deceptive with his pace. next time you see him play in the middle watch the ground he covers. one minute he is kicking from the back pocket , the next thing you see him pop up 2 kicks down the ground to mark the ball in the forward pocket. You just seem to miss the travel in between.
index.php

Photo courtesy of S. Blight @Copyright

Quigley on Walters:
11. Collingwood

Collingwood desperately need a class ball winner in the midfield. They have focussed on their key positions the last few years and have some good prospects which they will look to give more time to next year. The midfield though is a different story and although I expect Clarke to join Pendlebury in the midfield next year full time, both are generally outside players. Thomas has also not developed into the midfielder that the Pies probably hoped he might. The problem for the Pies is that I have a serious run on midfielders and at Collingwood’s pick some of the better prospects might be gone. The guy who I think would really suit the Pies is Robinson and I think there is a fair chance that he might be there on the day. Blease could also be there but I think he is a little bit too much like Pendlebury and Clarke and Collingwood need someone who can win the ball a bit more consistently than Blease has shown this year. Collingwood are also one of the teams who I think might take Swift if he is there as they could really use his skill set. That leaves one midfield prospect who I really like and who seems to be a bit overlooked as a first round prospect this year. People I think see Walters as a small forward and although I see him starting up there I think he will be a career midfielder and a top shelf one at that within a few years. Given he is likely to start up forward he might struggle for game time next year but if Collingwood are patient he will reward them.

Michael Walters (DOB – 7/1/91, Ht – 177, Wt – 75)

With the success of Rioli this year a lot of teams will be keeping their eyes out for similar types of players in the hope of lightning striking twice. I was a huge Rioli fan last year and this year I think Walters is likely to be as close as you are going to get to Cyril. He does not quite have the same vision and option taking ability and his disposal although good is somewhat below that of Rioli. I think there is little doubt that both will end up in the midfield long term but both will play a couple of years up forward whilst they build up their body and their endurance. Walters is a very nice runner and is quick and very evasive and he can weave through traffic with the best of them. He has a very nice leap and plays quite a bit taller than his 177cm list height. Playing on the HFF and in the middle he lead the Champs in marks with 29 – impressive given his height and where he played. His hands are very clean both overhead and in the contest. He is very much a one touch player. He has great kicking skills and is a left footer who can deliver it lace out over a pretty good distance. He is most impressive delivering into the 50 and he had 16 inside 50s in the Champs to go along with his 7 goals. His defensive pressure is very good and he uses his pace to pressure the ball coming out of his area well. Walters is a bottom aged, indigenous player and is still fairly slight and as a consequence I would not expect to see much of him next year. That being said though he is very talented and a team taking him this year will get very good value for this potential match winner. On his midfield potential it is worth noting that in the U16 Champs last year he lead Div 1 in disposals, clearances and effective kicks (as well as goals actually). Coming back from the Champs he played senior football for Swan Districts and did well. He is a little shorter than you would like but he is a prospect that has been overlooked a lot.
Snoop Dog on Walters:

# 20 West Coast Eagles – Michael Walters (Swan Districts / 177 / 75)

Eagles fans were telling me that there is a need for a high quality nippy fwd in the Rioli mould. Whilst Walters has spent a lot of time at junior footy in the middle and will develop into there he presents more as a small fwd type in his early AFL years. Walters is a former AIS boy and is being keenly sought by a number of clubs. Don’t be surprised if he ends up going late in the first round to the Swans. Gets to a lot of contests and racks up a fair bit of the footy. Skills are sublime and gives his fwds really good service. Very exciting prospect.
ant555 on Walters:

20) West Coast – Michael Walters
I looked hard through all my profiles trying to find something different here but I just kept coming back to this kid who could provide the Eagles a classy quick small forward who can provide some relief in the midfield once he develops.
foj1 on Walters:

Pick 18 West Coast- Michael Walters
Super quick and elusive left footer will be a wonderful player to watch on the expanses of Subiaco. Walters may begin his career as a small forward but with a few preseasons will build into a first class onballer with terrific speed and delivery to the forward line.
Ysaye on Walters:

Michael Walters

Again, Like Gilly, Mitch Robinson came into the thinking, but IMO Walters is extremely skilled and creative / Classy, just as pacy, and will fill the role of small forward really well as well as later maturing into a midfielder. Don't care about the height (175m) too much.

Didn't expect for him to be around so I will grab him whilst I have a chance.
sinepari on Walters:

Selection 20

Michael WALTERS - small forward/rover.

Very tough decision here, as I think there are a number of good smalls available later in the draft [Bennell, Quartermaine just to name 2]. Neville Jetta is a real candidate for this position, but I think he has a remote chance of sliding to 36, whereas Walters should go before 25. Matthew Broadbent is a favourite of mine, but having taken Robinson, I think Walters satisfies our needs more. Ultimately, I think WC needs class and Walters has that.

I think he's a vastly underrated player on this forum, and a player who definitely would not have escaped the very close attention and scrutiny of most clubs. I've heard there is interest from several clubs as a 1st rounder.

Has the ability to play up the ground, although I find his kicking lets him down on occassions and fails to hit targets as much as I know he is capable. Moves very well and knows how to find space, so I think he could definitely develop up the ground.

Emma Quayle on Walters

16. Michael Walters
(Swan Districts, 177cm, 73kg)
If Walters slips out of the top 20, someone’s getting a bargain. I’d consider him a midfi elder, but perhaps he’ll start out in the forward line. He’s not zippy, but has a knack for winning contested footy and finding space. A nice, smart, nifty little player with lovely skills.

Norman Ross on Walters:

20 - West Coast – Michael Walters – Nifty little forward with a terrific goal sense and the ability to find the football, and deliver inside fifty. Perhaps a little one sided to the left but when he uses his right it doesn't look too ungainly. Arguably the biggest area of concern for West Coast last season was their midfield and its lack of creativity. Walters could easily develop into a midfield option, and his pace and skills would see him become a dangerous Rioli like player, eventually. He will fill the crumbing position early in his career, another area of concern for West Coast.
Walters stats from the 2008 U-18 championships:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...S&pID=188981399&client=1-4824-0-72735-8896973

Walters stats from the 2008 WAFL season (league, reserves and colts):

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/tea...S&pID=187824195&client=1-2393-0-64429-4320168

2008 DC Results:

177.3cm (1%)
73.1kg (13%)
92.5mm S7 skinfolds (1%)
21.0cm handspan (8%)
79.2cm arm length (11%)
47cm standing VJ (0%)
27.15s repeat sprints (7%)
2008? AIS-AFL Testing Results:

1.10 5m 3.15s 20m
8.66s agility
12.7 beep test

Re: Number TBA - Michael 'Sonny' Walters [Pick 53 - 2008 National Draft]

from the sounds of it an absolute steal at 53!

One of the best footy articles of the year by Emma Quayle on Sonny, NickNat and Yarran: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-street-named-desire/2008/11/21/1226770748239.html

The street named desire

CHRIS YARRAN and Michael Walters are in Nick Naitanui's living room, sitting squeezed into a two-seater couch. They are trying to remember the first time they met, and it's hard; they can't remember not knowing each other.
Chris can still see Nick's big afro hairstyle, and recall the day he jumped onto the PA system at primary school and called a Melbourne Cup. Michael can remember how quiet Chris used to be, how he never used to speak until someone spoke to him, and Nick can't remember Michael being anything but a chatty, cheeky, energetic kid. "Look at him!" he laughs, pointing at a junior basketball photo in which Walters leans towards the camera with a big, goofy grin. Walters doesn't even bother objecting, or even just rolling his eyes: there's another photo, on another wall, where he's hamming it up even more.

Walters was the first to move into Bushby Street - a long, wide road in Midvale, in Perth's outer-eastern suburbs - and nobody ever called him Michael. As a baby, he travelled from Perth to Adelaide with his parents and big brother, to see his father's family for the first time. As the train rattled along, and the sky turned dark outside, he refused to fall asleep, so his father made up a lullaby, calling him "my son son". It caught on: his brother, Colin, wouldn't let anyone call him anything but "Son Son" after he did, finally, drift off to sleep. These days, he'll settle for Sonny as well.
Walters was four when "Nicko" Naitanui moved in, six houses down the street, his fraternal twin brother Mark in tow. Next door to them was Yarran, who was living with his mother at her parents' place. The 17-year-old has lived in many houses and in many streets over the years; at times, he wasn't entirely sure where he would be sleeping the next night. But Bushby was the street Yarran kept coming back to, and Midvale the suburb that most felt like home. The three boys started primary school together and - except for a few years when Yarran moved an hour away to Northam, still dropping by some weekends - they have lived within a few minutes of each other. The AFL draft will make their long-shared dream come true, but separate them for the first real time in their lives.

Football connected the boys, from the very start. Yarran can remember the three of them clumping down the bitumen road together, to the oval at the end of it, already wearing their footy boots. They would drag a bin out onto the road in front of Nicko's place, lining it up alongside a mail box, a tree and a concrete pole - cheap, easy goal posts. Between the Naitanuis' cousins, Yarran's cousins, Walters's brother and the other kids in their street, there would be up to 30 boys on the road at once, tackling each other to the asphalt, scampering to the side when a car tore past, scoring bonus points for hitting the bin or the tree, and never craving company. "All you had to do if you were bored," said Naitanui, "was go and knock next door."

Yarran was the kid who always hit the target; the one with the sharp, instinctive skills. He only ever wanted to be one thing: an AFL footballer. "Son Son" was the little one, who went to bed each night with his footy and would scurry around after the bigger, older kids, all energy. At school, Naitanui could do anything he turned either his mind or body to: he was the class accountant, counting the money when his class went off on excursions, and winning almost everything on athletics day. His mother, Atetha, thought he would end up becoming a basketballer; he started kicking the football only because the other kids did, and it was actually the least of his talents.

"I was just a skinny kid and I couldn't even kick properly. I'm still struggling now with it," he said, smiling. "But most of the kids in Midvale, that's just how we played. We didn't really practise or train all our skills like some other kids, we just ran around on the street. We'd have little scratch matches, four-on-four, and all we did was play."
Still, Naitanui could tell even then that Yarran's plans were sensible ones. "You just knew," he said. "Some kids are just better than the rest. Chris was the best one of us all."

Life hasn't exactly been easy, for the boys or those around them. Naitanui's parents, Atetha and Bola, moved to Sydney almost 19 years ago, from the Fijian village near Suva where Nick's older brother and sister still live. He has never lived there himself, but when he goes there, each year, he feels at home. His parents moved away because they wanted opportunity, said Atetha, but the twins were just one when Bola found out he had cancer and only a few months to live. Alone, Atetha moved the boys to Perth, simply because she had a brother there and wasn't sure where else she should go. She still sometimes wonders how she made it, how she kept from collapsing, but she knows her boys kept her going, that they gave her no choice. "If I'd given up … " she said, pausing. "I couldn't give up."

Atetha, who married again three years ago, always resisted signing on for a pension - she never wanted to be given anything and she always wanted to work, even if it meant things were a little bit trickier to pay for. For the past 14 years she has worked for Homewest, helping to find housing for homeless people in Perth's eastern suburbs and working with some of the kids who grew up playing kick-to-kick with her own boys. Some seem too embarrassed to look her in the eye.

"It's like the kids here are in hiding, they turn the other way when they see that I am coming," she said. "I say to Nick and Mark always, when you see these boys, talk to them, don't even think they have been in jail. It's sad, it's very sad. Some of these young indigenous boys that played with my boys, I thought that they were going to make it. They had so much talent, so much skill. But drugs and bashings and assaults … that's the way of life here. That's how these kids survive."
As he was growing up, Walters knew that his mum and dad struggled some months to pay the rent; that even filling the petrol tank to take him to a training session was sometimes a stretch.

"It wasn't something you ever really thought about," he said. "You just sort of knew, that we had it a bit harder than most people."
He can only ever remember being a happy child, although this year has been a wrenching one. Walters's parents separated earlier this year and his father, Mick, moved home to Adelaide. He came back to Perth mid-year, but left again in September, two days before Walters played for the Swan Districts under-19 team in a grand final. His grandfather flew straight from Adelaide to watch him play, but Walters was emotional, deflated and, said his mother, Martha, forced for the first time to re-assess his biggest idol.
"It was devastating. It really hurt Son Son and it's been a real struggle for all of us," she said. "He looked up to his father, I think Son Son really just wanted to make dad proud, and thought what he was doing was the right way to do that.

"He's an emotional boy, he's a fiery boy - the only time he isn't fiery is when he's playing on the football field - but he's worked through it now. He knows he has some exciting times coming up and that he has a lot of support and that a lot of people love him. He loves dad, but dad has to be put at the back for a while, and that's hard."
It's something Yarran had to grapple with a lot longer ago. He was only eight when his father, Malcolm, was jailed; he still sees him now, and talks to him on the phone, and his most vivid memories are of walking home with him from footy training, hand-in-hand. He can't remember feeling ashamed of where his dad was, and will be for a while yet, but when other kids asked him about it, he didn't want to talk.

"I just took it as life, as the way life goes," he said. "I never said much about it and it's still hard now, to think about it. But I just think of the good times with him, and I saw my mum and how she didn't let it bring her down. She didn't want it in my head, she wanted me to feel proud. With where I am, I sort of owe it to her. She's the one who kept me playing football."

So what are the reason for him sliding? Height? Pace? or is it non-footy related? To me he looks like a Brad Sewell type. Not overly athletic but he just understands footy

As Emma said main reasons for the slide would've probably been height (177cm), pace (3.15s 20m time at AIS, 27.15s repeat sprint at 2008 DC), skinfolds (2nd worst to Suban at 2008 DC and at only 73kg) and endurance (12.7 beep test at AIS). Hopefully our S&C crew can work these queries out ... you can't buy the footballing brain Walters has.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514815

From the WC board pre-draft.

Just so when we hear they didn't want him or rate him - we can remind them :)

Actually to be fair - the WC mob on this thread are a pretty good mob of girls when they are off the gear ;)

He never missed a target in that vid...

Wasn't the greatest display of skill was it? I guess there's a reason he dropped so low.

His actual kicking action didn't look too bad when he had time and space though. With AFL standard training his skills under pressure will only improve.

Team: Swan Districts/Midvale JFC

Small forward/midfielder who kicks well on his preferred left side using the ball very effectively short or long. Wins contested possession (Av 7 per game), reads the ball well off hands. Kicked 7 goals 8 behinds for the Championships and importantly led the competition in goal assists with 7. Very good player in Western Australian loss to Vic Metro in the final.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are interesting stats. :thumbsu:

I was surprised in that video how much time he spent in the middle. :thumbsu:

From the Fremantle vs. North Melbourne thread:

ACTDocker

Walters didn't do much but ran hard to space a couple of times I saw but was ignored a couple of times by younger players he kicked iboard to a senior player under pressure......
BeinPurplenGreen
On Son-Son (Walters) - he started quite well (strong bursts of pace and ran around his opponents to lead for the ball), but the Freo midfielders just ignored him. However, by about the 5 minute mark of the second quarter Laidley seemed to have worked him out - he instructed each defender playing on Son-Son (they used a rotation) to run off at every opportunity - with the result that Son-Son spent ages running around half-back flank/back pocket, largely trying to cover his man. Harvs didn't play him much in the second half, and he tired noticeably when he came on in the fourth quarter.

Son-Son (Walters) – led well in the first quarter, but left out of the play by his midfielders. Faded badly in the fourth quarter. Needs 18 months- 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked the look of Son-Son against the Eagles. Knew where to go and was creative, I think he could be dangerous around goals for a few games this year depending on fitness.

Quotes from the Fremantle vs West Coast (Bushfire Appeal Game) match reports thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548529

fitzmantle: 38, im guessing was Walters? Looked really good when he was on.

Alfonz: Walters did some nice things in the second half.

Anyway, I wonder if Walters could possibly play the first few rounds while Ballantyne is still out. His fitness to last 4 quarters may be questionable, but I liked what I saw when he was roaming around in the forward line.

Lach72: He has something this kid. Nice overhead handball, very good pick up on the run, lovely kick, nice goal, amd a gutsy mark. Good half.

summerthebat: Walters played well in the last half.

E Shed: Love the look of Walters.

Kickett Punches Read: walters looks silky, seems to have time and skills.... was unsure about him when we selected him, but i think he could become a player

Didn't get a chance to his R2 WAFL game (DVD recording issue) ... he ended up with 7 K/4HB/2M/2FA/1FF/1I50/2G vs Subiaco.

Some quotes from the WAFL performances thread:

Walters is playing as a forward pocket but has pushed to stoppages, pressure has been excellent so far. Has 2 goals and probably would have 4 if Adam Hunter stopped trying to go all by himself in an attempt to be picked by Worsfold next week. The Commentators didnt even know he got drafted last year, then proceeded to say that Fremantle should elevate him off the rookie list

Goal to Walters, he really knows where to out himself in the forward 50, if the crab of the century (Hunter) could handball he prob have 4 goals.

Walters has 2 goals and should have more if not for Hunter, done a few nice things, however a few times now he's elected a soft bump instead of sticking a tackle which has resulted in Subi gaining possession.

Walters is a class act. Think he'll be very at home in the 1's when he's fitter.

So why the hell isn't he playing? And Broughton for that matter
I hope Harv's is just holding them back for a grand entrance in our next home game... well he'd better be or this melbourne lesbian is gonna trun crazy!

Haven't reported on him for a few rounds ... had a bye this weekend.

R3: 8K|3H|4M|3FF|1FA|1.0

R4: 7K|12H|2M|1FF|1FA

E Shed:
Walters was good today without being spectacular. He is covering a lot of ground and looks much fitter as you'd expect after training with an AFL club for a while. We desperately need players like him at the moment. Smart, clean hands, good skills, hits targets. Hope he gets a call-up soon.

How close is he to a debut?

We need a spark up forward, some sort of target apart from the triple-teamed Pav, would he be in line for a game in the next month?

We need a spark up forward, some sort of target apart from the triple-teamed Pav, would he be in line for a game in the next month?

Hope so, but he'll need to show some steady form in the wafl first. No point promoting them if you have to drop them in a couple of weeks for poor form.

Named in the emergencies this week ... getting close ... a big game this week or some good performances stringed together over the next few weeks may see him there.

Looks like he has been working really hard on his fitness, ran tonnes against claremont yesterday and skinfolds looks like they'd be well down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back