NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Another huge round of footy

• Vermont knock off the undefeated Noble Park for their first win of the year
  • Balwyn huge win against Rowville to go to the top of the ladder
  • East Ringwood win a 1 point classic against Blackburn
  • Wantirna South in all sorts after getting smashed by Mitcham who keep in touch with the top 5
  • Doncaster 2 in a row! Not bad for a team that folded 10 times in the off season or should have dropped 2 divisions.
  • South Belgrave have lost their aura. Still very competitive but no longer invincible.
  • East Burwood win and off the bottom of the ladder.
  • Lilydale 2 in a row!
  • The Basin didn't respond to their coach getting sacked. Mini final for them V East Burwood this week.
  • Surrey Park big statement win away at Coldstream
  • Warrandyte win! Huge win against FTG to breathe life into their season.
  • FTG on the bottom and in massive trouble. Need to beat Fairpark at home this week.
  • Forest hill upset win over Chirnside Park to keep their finals door slightly open
  • Whitehorse big win against Scoresby and will be on top of the ladder if they beat Nunawading next week.
Great Summary.

Strongly disagree with your comments ,most clubs are struggling to stay afloat now with excess expenses. especially the clubs at the bottom end of their clubs ladders.

I will cop your comments about not seeing as many games, I certainly don’t see as much local footy first hand these days, but what I have seen, the umpiring has been of a very poor standard. I think it’s pretty simple logic, there is a well documented lack of umpires since COVID, so you have umpires doing senior footy when they are not ready for it, etc. I think it’s a cycle as players and fans get more frustrated, treat them worse, and the numbers probably drop off further. Who needs to spend their Saturdays doing a job they’re not really qualified for, being paid s**t money, and copping abuse for your performance to boot?

I can’t think of any field where you’re attempting to increase the number and quality of candidates, where better pay is not a large part of the strategy. I maintain if they were paid better, there would be more of them and the quality would be better.

As for umpires not being social after games, I’d guess it’s yet another impact of experienced umpires being lost. Who wants to go into a room with people they don’t know that have been abusing them for the past three hours? I think previously you would find that most senior games would have at least one very experienced umpire who had been around the block plenty of times. He could lead them and obviously they’re all going to be a lot more comfortable attending with a senior figure who knows a few people. I’d fear that these days a lot of the more senior umpires are gone.

• South Belgrave have lost their aura. Still very competitive but no longer invincible.

Surely the coaching change a major impact.

Pretty wild that you’d spend hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars on players and then just get one of the player’s dads to coach them.

You can only judge a bloke on his record and success hasn’t exactly followed Black.

“We always look at stuff internally first and I had a brief five-second encounter with Heath and said ‘You could actually be steering the ship as well as Luke if you really wanted to’, and it sort of grew legs from there,” Kidd said.

“Me and Luke had a chat and Luke and him (Heath) have had a chat over the last three or four weeks and we sort of just went from there.

“About two or three weeks ago he (Heath) said he was keen, so let’s have a fair dinkum chat.

“With Cayden playing there it’s also something he had to agree to and then we went through the process.”

Black coached Narre Warren to the South East league grand final in 2017 before landing at the Mustangs in Eastern’s second tier in ‘18.

The 44-year-old currently works as the wellbeing lead for the Coates Talent League.

Kidd said Black’s connection to the club and its emerging talent stood out in the interview process.

“We did interview a couple of other prospective coaches, but we just thought, why cast a net out when you’ve got a guy that’s played at the highest level and is really invested in the footy club anyway?” Kidd said.

“It’s just going to fit – he’s got a really good rapport with the young kids we’ve got there now.”

I will cop your comments about not seeing as many games, I certainly don’t see as much local footy first hand these days, but what I have seen, the umpiring has been of a very poor standard. I think it’s pretty simple logic, there is a well documented lack of umpires since COVID, so you have umpires doing senior footy when they are not ready for it, etc. I think it’s a cycle as players and fans get more frustrated, treat them worse, and the numbers probably drop off further. Who needs to spend their Saturdays doing a job they’re not really qualified for, being paid s**t money, and copping abuse for your performance to boot?

I can’t think of any field where you’re attempting to increase the number and quality of candidates, where better pay is not a large part of the strategy. I maintain if they were paid better, there would be more of them and the quality would be better.

As for umpires not being social after games, I’d guess it’s yet another impact of experienced umpires being lost. Who wants to go into a room with people they don’t know that have been abusing them for the past three hours? I think previously you would find that most senior games would have at least one very experienced umpire who had been around the block plenty of times. He could lead them and obviously they’re all going to be a lot more comfortable attending with a senior figure who knows a few people. I’d fear that these days a lot of the more senior umpires are gone.
The number of games requiring umpires with growth of womens/girls football especially has put huge pressure on the EFNL league umpires guys and I will stick with what I have said.The number of umpires has increased and good to see young kids out umpiring with older guys especially helping them which I saw at the MCG of the East today I like.At our club we have a number of our young players playing junior football and also umpiring as well.Good pocket money for them and I think 3 junior games they will get $150 plus.

Last edited:
Particularly when half the time the umpires are (literally) kids.

Which is probably because of the pathetic pay, for a kid it’s probably great money.

Eastern have always been one of the lowest paying leagues in the state and were quick to cut the pay after Covid.

As for clubs being unable to afford an increase in umpire fees, they wouldn’t even be noticed compared to what they pay their players. The worst player on the list probably gets more.

Pretty wild that you’d spend hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars on players and then just get one of the player’s dads to coach them.

It is Heath Black though. Its not like its some bloke that coached the 2s somewhere a few years ago.

I thought Galliott was staying on as an assistant anyway?

Also haven't seen Luke Dunstan appear yet.

It is Heath Black though. Its not like its some bloke that coached the 2s somewhere a few years ago.

I think hes coming off an ACL from last year. Havent seen the transfers but is Taylor Garner still there? he'd be a handy in aswell

Great player doesn't equal great coach.

Black has had a number of coaching jobs and don't think he's really had much success.

He might be fine, I'm just saying, if I had shelled out these sort of amounts buying players, and I had to appoint a new coach, I'd probably cast the net wider and get the best. Not like money is an issue.

Great player doesn't equal great coach.

Black has had a number of coaching jobs and don't think he's really had much success.

He might be fine, I'm just saying, if I had shelled out these sort of amounts buying players, and I had to appoint a new coach, I'd probably cast the net wider and get the best. Not like money is an issue.
You assume that he's not the best available. AFAIK he's very highly regarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hadn't heard that, it's Norwood but like the departures of Doncaster over the summer, who knows?
Norwood was the club that I heard was a bit like an airport departure lounge and continues to be. Unfortunately the money has run out and players continue to leave.

The Basin have had a few challenges with coaching changes. The departure of the women's coach was due to some unforeseen personal matters. Certainly no pending player departures there as they have enough work just to get a win. May be a big chance this weekend me thinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back