Not impressed

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
I dunno. I guess a win's a win but I was pretty much right on the money last week when I said that the performance against Sydney wouldn't be enough to sting them into action. You know, I actually thought tonight if they were fair dinkum they might have come out and actually had a red hot go for four quarters and had a good victory. As it is they played a half arsed first half, and then a totally arsed 2nd half, and the only thing they would have got out of tonight's game would be bad habits to take into next week and into the finals. When you're struggling, you try to keep the game simple, and as some famous coach (any of the old blokes know which one???) once said - either you've got the ball, they've got the ball, or the ball is in dispute.

When Brisbane had the ball there was far too much lame short passing to one on one contests! If you want to chip pass fine but make sure the bloke's in space! Alternatively if you want to kick to a contest well fine but make it 45 metres down the ground and back your team mates to get at the base of the pack! Crumbing seemed reasonably ok and with some of the midfielders kicking goals it was probably an improved effort on last week, but it seems that they go into off peak mode very very easily. It's a mental thing, it needs addressing and it needs addressing fast.

As for when Geelong had the ball well they let one of the worst attacks in the league kick 13 goals. It has to make you wonder, especially considering that after conceding just 3 goals in the first half, to then allow 6 in 10 minutes to start the third quarter... There are players at Brisbane who get far too pleased with themselves far too easily. As for the ball being in dispute well Brisbane won the ball ok at stoppages but Geelong were allowed far too much of the ball from 50-50 situations, especially as the game went on. So all in all still a lot to work on, and another ordinary performance and/or inexplicable mental lapse will see them exposed by a quick opposition on a fast surface next week (where they have not won this year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back