North's anti Bellerive antics

Remove this Banner Ad

frankly

Senior List
Apr 12, 2011
hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
there are some narrowminded,spiteful & jealous people in launceston who are driving this no AFL at bellerive agenda.they are kerry finch, albert van zetton& robin mckendrick.
these windbags dont want to listen to any economic figures on AFL at bellerive, they just dont want hobartians to have access to AFL footy & its out of petty jealousy & spite.
some of the crap oozing out of these brainless tools is quite unbelievable. 250 grand is too much to give north melbourne to play per game. dont worry about the 900 grand that hawthorn rape from this state
kerry finch even has blamed downturned events at the silverdome on the construction of the DEC in hobart. he must have forgotten about the white elephant at windmill hill called an aquatic centre. has run millions of dollars over budget & has run at a loss since day 1. using his arguement we never needed a replication of the domain aquatic centre in hobart.

these launceston eccentric knobs can bleat all they like, there is not anything they can do about stopping AFL heading to bellerive if the premier gives the go ahead.

I tend to agree.

250k of taxpayers money, for at least 3.2m (?) in return, makes good economic sense. Except to the Examiner hacks. Also, I read somewhere that 85% of people who go to the York Park games are from the Launceston area. Which would suggest that Hobart residents can't be farrked travelling to watch games....

The Hawthorn sponsorship is a truly awful business decison, IMO. Sure pay them to play here, but what benefit do we get from having "TASMANIA" on their jumpers? Ridiculous really. I seriously doubt people watch Hawthorn play, see the states name and then think, 'Hey, I hadn't thought of travelling there, lets go'.

I tend to agree.

250k of taxpayers money, for at least 3.2m (?) in return, makes good economic sense. Except to the Examiner hacks. Also, I read somewhere that 85% of people who go to the York Park games are from the Launceston area. Which would suggest that Hobart residents can't be farrked travelling to watch games....

The Hawthorn sponsorship is a truly awful business decison, IMO. Sure pay them to play here, but what benefit do we get from having "TASMANIA" on their jumpers? Ridiculous really. I seriously doubt people watch Hawthorn play, see the states name and then think, 'Hey, I hadn't thought of travelling there, lets go'.

agree bugz, how come north can play games for 500grand at bellerive but we dole out 900 for a hawks game at aurora.
half of north melbournes revenue gets raised by local business, councils & cricket tas. what has lonny council & local business put in up there?
zilch, just sit back and enjoy all the cream that comes their way.

I tend to agree.

dont get me started on these mindless drones. talk about running their own agenda. i thought journo's had some kind of code of ethics, something about all stories should be balanced & show no bias.
rob shaw is a twat of the highest order, he doesn't give a f..k about the economics of the debate, he just cant handle seeing the south get AFL. going up to see hawks & suns in a couple of weeks, hope to god i run into that w***er at aurora. be nice to give him a spray.

Im aboard

Am sick and tried of listening to people from the north who think its there god given right to have AFL. The southern business community have raised half the funds for this to happen ( north contribute nothing ) so we not paying absurds amount. There is plenty of business who will benefit from this, Taxi drivers, ferry operators, food and drink outlets, pubs and clubs, motels, bus companies and the list goes on.

Can you imagine a night game with 20000 plus watching and the exposure it will draw around the country??? Unlike Launceston where you wouldnt be able to see the playing surface due to fog!!!!

The devils used to attract crowds of 5000 plus to a shitty VFL roster match, so there is NO doubt that massive crowds will attend.

It doesnt matter who the kangaroo will play, Hawthorn this season are playing west coast, gold coast, brisbane and north melbourne. So the argument that North will play interstate clubs is flawed, we are already getting them at Launceston anyway and who cares its AFL

AFL at bellerive WILL be a winner:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Im aboard

Am sick to death of listening to people from the north who think its there god given right to have AFL. The southern business community have raised half the funds for this to happen ( north contribute nothing ) so we not paying absurds amount. There is plenty of business who will benefit from this, Taxi drivers, ferry operators, food and drink outlets, pubs and clubs, motels, bus companies and the list goes on.

Can you imagine a night game with 20000 plus watching and the exposure it will draw around the country??? Unlike Launceston where you wouldnt be able to see the playing surface due to fog!!!!

The devils used to attract crowds of 5000 plus to a shitty VFL roster match, so there is NO doubt that massive crowds will attend.

It doesnt matter who the kangaroo will play, Hawthorn this season are playing west coast, gold coast, brisbane and north melbourne. So the argument that North will play interstate clubs is flawed, we are already getting them at Launceston anyway and who cares its AFL

AFL at bellerive WILL be a winner:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

well and truly on board gospel, so much so you posted it twice. love you work

In total agreeance, I live in Burnie and agree that it can only be a good thing for AFL to be played at Bellerive, who gives a shit if it is already played in Launceston. I'm sure people would still travel from the north of the state to watch the team that they support play. Hopefully the AFL doesn't allocate games to the same teams playing in Launceston as Hobart.

In total agreeance, I live in Burnie and agree that it can only be a good thing for AFL to be played at Bellerive, who gives a shit if it is already played in Launceston. I'm sure people would still travel from the north of the state to watch the team that they support play. Hopefully the AFL doesn't allocate games to the same teams playing in Launceston as Hobart.

Having games at YP & at BRO is the only way to show the AFL we want & can support our own team. The behaviour of the Examiner & Launceston CC has been nothing short of embarrassing & disgraceful. If the NM thing doesnt get up I reckon the AFL will ditch Tasmania. It will make the state look so pathetic & show just how parochial, selfish & destructive those organisations are. They would 'cut off their nose to spite their face' in old speak.
I see Van Z(S)atan :Dwas at YP again today rousing the mob against the evil south, He is so bloody pathetic.

Getting more games in the State is the pathway to hopefully Tassie getting our own team. Kerry Finch, Albert Van Zetten and Co. are using small minded bigotry to promote their own political careers, spreading small minded hatred and miss information. They have been called out by the AFL but while they have the Examiner supporting these small minded attitudes, we Tasmania will miss the boat of our own AFL Tasmanian Team.

Why cant anyone see that North, like Hamthorn, is only using Tasmania as a dumping ground for loss making games if they were played in Melbourne, where they make a huge profit when played in Tasmania, that is why if North Melb play in Tassie it will be against either GWS, Port, Freo or the Suns, Games that the roos would be lucky to get 20,000 at Eithiad thus costing them huge amounts to host. Another point would be if money was to be spent on a ground in the south of the state is Bellerive the right place seeing there is no where to park and access is crap.

Why cant anyone see that North, like Hamthorn, is only using Tasmania as a dumping ground for lose making games if they were played in Melbourne, where they make a huge profit when played in Tasmania, that is why if North Melb. play in Tassie it will be against either GWS, Port, Freo or the Suns, Games that the roos would be lucky to get 20,000 at Eithiad thus costing them huge amounts to host. Another point would be if money was to be spent on a ground in the south of the state is Bellerive the right place seeing there is no where to park and access is crap.

I tend to agree with this. I don't see why we should fork out good money. NM are desperate to get out of loss making games at that venue. Why should we waste our taxpayer dollars on poor games of little interest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are Hawthorn. Why do you think they have the 'bring a buddy to the game' campaign this week? They are playing Fremantle and will probaby lose money....

Good, god. Just read The Examiner. Martin Gilmour should hang his head in shame.

Wow Edmund Rouse would be so proud of you Martin you do not state the truth in your article.
The North Melbourne deal has nothing dp with the proposed cricket Tasmania deal.
TO SUGGEST THEY DO IS MILEADING

The Examiner only place this hack of a journalist could become an editor, In a Fairfax provincial newspaper.

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...that-could-tie-taxpayers-to-225m/2184958.aspx

Good, god. Just read The Examiner. Martin Gilmour should hang his head in shame.

All football talk aside, The Launceston Examiner is the most pathetic, insipid, disgracefully narrowminded so-called 'newspaper' in Australia.
It's about as useful as arse-pockets on a singlet - ought be renamed the Sorbent.

I remember this lot rocking up to take pictures of attendees at a Hall of Fame function I was at about five years ago at the Launceston Golf Club.
They took pics of myself and my partner at the time, several other people seated at tables around the room, then asked us individually where we were from (to put names and where they're from under the photos in the article).
We were from Hobart, several others were also from Hobart, others were from Ulverstone, Devonport, Latrobe, Smithton, Burnie - not many from Lonnie..
Photographer, looking annoyed, audibly asks if there's anyone from Launceston seated around the area, about six or seven did, so he hastily arranged for them all to be seated together and sure enough, during the week only one of the approximately 25 photos of attendees snapped that night was in the Examiner - the Launceston group! :eek:

About three years before that a stupid dimwit reporter from the same mob turns up to a State Team training day at Launceston for another sport and arranges for the entire mens and womens state team to be photographed together, that particular year the mens team had only a couple of Southern players in the squad but the womens was 50/50 between North-North Westerners and Southern players.
Dimwit reporter actively excludes all the Southern players from the two squads and only includes members based in the North in the article's picture and only mentions the Launceston players (only about 4 of them) in the printed article.
I had many less than complimentary words to say to the reporter, but it was like talking to a really stupid cup of tea. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on blokes like Ivan Dean and Kerry Finch.

PS: Airseattle - If it wasn't for the calculated "Launceston Whinge" campaign orchestrated by the Launceston Examiner and several prominent Northern business people during the mid 1990s when an AFL Taskforce had gotten extremely close to getting Elwick Stadium built, AFL football would've been played in Hobart to this day.
It was the calculated complaints from that electorate that saw John Howard break a promise to help fund the Elwick Stadium project, instead redirecting funding into redeveloping York Park into its current day Aurora Stadium setup.
It was vote buying by Howard and Launceston played their cards to maximum effect.

To be fair to North, they have re-negotiated the much talked about stadium deal at Etihad so that it isnt as ridiculous as it was a couple of years ago when we needed 30,000 to break even..

Dont get me wrong, this is all about the money for North.. We want to wipe off some debt, and build our supporter base in tassie, which hopefully equates to memberships..

May be treating Tassie as a dumping ground, 3 year deal, here for the money etc.. But isnt that what we want?.. If the ultimate goal is for Tassie to have our own team in the AFL, we dont want a long term deal or commitment that is going to hinder that.. Games in the south is just another step forward towards a tas AFL side..

And as has been mentioned, the local businesses and councils etc have come up with half the funds.. Going to cost the government about a 3rd of the cost of the Hawthorn matches, sounds like alot better value to me.. but hey, the ********s will only look out for their own best interest..

If the launie ********s took time to think of the long term effect, if this deal helps bring about a tassie side, playing 11 home games a year, could in theory lead to more games for Launceston..

What do u expect Kingpin. It is a paper, of course they going to favour their local people. the same thing happens with the Mercury(absolute rubbish paper btw), and even more so with the Advocate. The mercury has run campaigns in the "South v North", and will do the same thing again. Now it is the Examiners turn to try and sell some papers. they both do it, and will continue to do it, as it sells paper. wasnt suprising that the Mercury was all to happy to report what was happening in the north(and im assuming it was front page, i never buy any paper)

If this deal hurts the launny by .001%, then of course SOME are going to fight against it. some people in the South would do the exactly the same thing, if the shoe was on the other foot, and the Mercury would be leading the line. This state isnt known for good long term collective thinking(which btw, i cant see an AFL Tassie team for ages with the current bimbos at AFL HQ)

Im a Northerner, who lives in the South and im happy of the government doesnt just send a blank cheque straight away to the AFL and North Melb. unlike what happened in the hawthorn deal they should try and get it as cheap as bloody possible, even at a risk of it falling through. Our Budget is a car crash, we need to be careful with spending. i support the deal, btw.

And on something unrelated, I always find it funny how the south sook about port-belling by the North. U could, u know, change your vote to someone other than Labor, and then u would get money as well. U did it last year, and shock, u got a new hospital.

What do u expect Kingpin. It is a paper, of course they going to favour their local people. the same thing happens with the Mercury(absolute rubbish paper btw), and even more so with the Advocate. The mercury has run campaigns in the "South v North", and will do the same thing again. Now it is the Examiners turn to try and sell some papers. they both do it, and will continue to do it, as it sells paper. wasnt suprising that the Mercury was all to happy to report what was happening in the north(and im assuming it was front page, i never buy any paper)

If this deal hurts the launny by .001%, then of course SOME are going to fight against it. some people in the South would do the exactly the same thing, if the shoe was on the other foot, and the Mercury would be leading the line. This state isnt known for good long term collective thinking(which btw, i cant see an AFL Tassie team for ages with the current bimbos at AFL HQ)

Im a Northerner, who lives in the South and im happy of the government doesnt just send a blank cheque straight away to the AFL and North Melb. unlike what happened in the hawthorn deal they should try and get it as cheap as bloody possible, even at a risk of it falling through. Our Budget is a car crash, we need to be careful with spending. i support the deal, btw.

And on something unrelated, I always find it funny how the south sook about port-belling by the North. U could, u know, change your vote to someone other than Labor, and then u would get money as well. U did it last year, and shock, u got a new hospital.

ok people from the South, here's a thought, Would you like cricket taken away from you to York Park although it would be perfect for it...No you would not, I think if North Mel can get a good deal, Well by all means go for it but how much TAX payers money will be spend upgrading that ovel down there, When it needs a lot of work to be AFL standend.

In reply to Kingpin if i remember correct part of the problem with the Elwick stadium not getting built was that each of the 3 major councils were bickering of where a stadium should be located, eg nth Hobart, bellerive, KGV or the showgounds and that maybe the north took advantage of the situation to rebuild York Park which from old footage ive seen was crap ( i actually grew up in Sth Arm). God Help us if tassie look like getting our own team, AFL and the pollies will have a field day. Maybe the answer is that the 19th and 20th teams come from each end of the state, now that would be a derby

ok people from the South, here's a thought, Would you like cricket taken away from you to York Park although it would be perfect for it...No you would not, I think if North Mel can get a good deal, Well by all means go for it but how much TAX payers money will be spend upgrading that ovel down there, When it needs a lot of work to be AFL standend.

herein lies the problem. knobs like you who think something is being taken away from you, its 2 EXTRA games mate & its taking nothing from the north, you aint got em to start with. and by the way the launceston mayor, albert van f..kwit, or whatever his name is has already approached cricket tas about playing 1st class cricket at york park & they are considering it. a lot better attitude than whats being shown by the council & those lunatic lower house pollies you have up there.

cricket tas want the ground upgraded for the 2015 cricket world cup. makes good business sense if they can get some dollars from a couple of other sources. i suppose van zitface, finch, mckendrick & that old mole that was on the news the other night will continue to whinge & bleat about any upgrade to bellerive. fu..ing sad lot they are. do they realise what an embarrassment to this state they are.

cricket tas want the ground upgraded for the 2015 cricket world cup. makes good business sense if they can get some dollars from a couple of other sources. i suppose van zitface, finch, mckendrick & that old mole that was on the news the other night will continue to whinge & bleat about any upgrade to bellerive. fu..ing sad lot they are. do they realise what an embarrassment to this state they are.
With only 10 teams competing and the games shared between Australia and New Zealand, I would think Tassie have got bucklys of getting a game.

This debate cuts to the heart of why Tassie is going nowhere. I spent half my life in Launnie and half in Hobart and I've never been able to understand the north-south rivalry and parochialism. But since moving to Queensland a year ago I've realised how backward we are. People here are willing to travel 8hrs from places like Rockhampton to Brisbane to see a NRL/AFL/Super Rugby game/Music festival etc etc... It is an absolute non-issue and simply part of life. When will Tasmanians realise that <200km is not a huge amount of travel, that the north-south rivalry holds us back and makes us a laughing stock nationally, and most importantly, that more AFL games regardless of who's playing or where can only be a good thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back