Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly sets a precedent doesn’t it?

Pies fans are up and about the decision. Fair enough.

I’m sure they’d be just as understanding if Toby, for example, goes through their golden boy with the same “football act” during a prelim.
Yes you can now run at an approaching opponent jump off the ground make it look like an attempted smother turn your shoulder to brace for impact and smash them unconscious.

Yes you can now run at an approaching opponent jump off the ground make it look like an attempted smother turn your shoulder to brace for impact and smash them unconscious.
It really is quite a bizarre decision in view of everything that's been said by the AFL and what's going on behind the scenes in contact sport generally.

Especially in the light of the suspensions handed out for sling tackles and other bumps that were innocuous in terms of impact and outcome compared to this.

I'm really surprised by this decision. Opens up a can of worms for the AFL.

My inexpert opinion from just watching the slow motion replay a few times.

It’s definitely not a clear cut case, multiple ways it could be interpreted, the outcome should deserve weeks, in the act of smothering / millisecond reaction time etc

However I keep coming back to the thought that Maynard momentum was through the contest more than up to smoother, couple that with he would have known prior to jumping up to expect impact, something that Brayshaw was clearly not afforded. I think players need to be accountable for the potential impact that action could and did have.

Every time you try and smother even a simple handball in tight etc, they’re basically saying you’ve got free rein to come down on someone with your shoulder and knock em’ out.

Incredibly dangerous precedent. You just know this case will be used as a defence case in future, don’t you.

I almost feel sympathy for Maynard.

He can hide behind the decision and say see I didn't do anything wrong.

But the public court has some clear opinions and he will know all about them. Every time he plays. Or at least every time he comes near to hurting someone.

Almost easier for him to take the two weeks and maintain a good bloke standing.

Excuse my interruption. I come in peace. Although you may not agree.

Your suggestion is silly. If I've got the ball and some guy jumps at me from a few metres away trying to knock my block off, ill sidestep and watch my opponent crumple in a heap. lol

Your suggestion is silly. If I've got the ball and some guy jumps at me from a few metres away trying to knock my block off, ill sidestep and watch my opponent crumple in a heap. lol
What's that got to do with this ?

If someone tries to knock your block off whether you sidestep or not is immaterial. Even if you could.

If someone keeps coming at you from any distance it's not your responsibility to not have your block knocked off . It's his.

Not excused. Feck off back to your own board and cheer the Maynard decision there.

Why didn’t Bradshaw just dodge Maynard, is he stupid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice mate, take a video of you demonstrating this im sure it will look epic :thumbsupv1:

While you’re in the action of kicking, looking down at your ball drop and by the time you look up and have no time to react. Yeah.. “lol”

Why didn’t Bradshaw just dodge Maynard, is he stupid?

I agree that Maynard could not avoid the collision after he launched. Not could Bradshaw. From the point of launch, there was no return.

Which means I believe that running flat out directly to another player and launching in their direction was careless.

Few smothers actually work - the kick needs to be intercepted low. Attempting a jump smother was a very low success outcome.

But attempting a jump opposition intimidation was a very high success outcome. I believe it was the intention, and it was definitely the outcome.

That decision will cost the AFL many millions down the track.
Could even be sooner rather than later.
I am sure Marcus Adams will be another player added to the class action suit.

Short term their insurance will skyrocket or worse they will not get coverage from a certain date.

Solicitors and lawyers will file all these incidents and decisions away and use them against the AFL.

Quite frankly I'm a bit shocked at this outcome.

You would've thought they'd at least go through the pretence of rubbing someone out and letting them go through the appeal process for knocking another player out when he clearly had other options once he decided to intercept Brayshaw.

It's the highest smother attempt I've ever seen.

While you’re in the action of kicking, looking down at your ball drop and by the time you look up and have no time to react. Yeah.. “lol”
I'm not laughing at the incident in itself or the repercussions for Brayshaw. He is as brave a player as they come and didn't deserve to cop that knock. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I was commenting on the fact that it was an unusual situation and a bit of a freak accident that you cant premeditate coz both Maynard and Brayshaw had a split second to react and they just collided. To believe that this tribuneral outcome sets a precedent allowing players to re-enact that move is just silly.

I'm not laughing at the incident in itself or the repercussions for Brayshaw. He is as brave a player as they come and didn't deserve to cop that knock. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I was commenting on the fact that it was an unusual situation and a bit of a freak accident that you cant premeditate coz both Maynard and Brayshaw had a split second to react and they just collided. To believe that this tribuneral outcome sets a precedent allowing players to re-enact that move is just silly.

In all seriousness, why are you on our board?

What investment do you have in lions fans reactions to the decision?

Do you think we have opinions cause maybe we'll meet up on the gf? No one here is shallow enough to give a rats about that implication.

Are you here because of it?

Quite frankly I'm a bit shocked at this outcome.

You would've thought they'd at least go through the pretence of rubbing someone out and letting them go through the appeal process for knocking another player out when he clearly had other options once he decided to intercept Brayshaw.

It's the highest smother attempt I've ever seen.
it is difficult to see how much the afl cares about incidents like these when they frequently hire inept legal counsel. the cripps saga last year where he only got off due to procedural fairness grounds was one thing, but reading the arguments they wheeled out on this one it felt like they are completely phoning it in

Maynard had other options once he chose to intercept Brayshaw. To me there was a lot more to it than a genuine smother attempt which if you look at any previous Maynard smother attempts are aimed at the boot. He jumped miles high and kept coming knocking him out with a shoulder to the head to a player who had no possibility of protecting himself.

it is difficult to see how much the afl cares about incidents like these when they frequently hire inept legal counsel. the cripps saga last year where he only got off due to procedural fairness grounds was one thing, but reading the arguments they wheeled out on this one it felt like they are completely phoning it in
That's a big issue.

They didn't raise 20% of the issues that I as a lawyer would've raised.

Shabby and ill researched preparation with no investment in the outcome.

In all seriousness, why are you on our board?

What investment do you have in lions fans reactions to the decision?

Do you think we have opinions cause maybe we'll meet up on the gf? No one here is shallow enough to give a rats about that implication.

Are you here because of it?
So many questions!

Yeah. Was curious to see how peoples rational thinking is skewed by their allegiances. I didn't associate it with a possible match up with your good selves should we make the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back