Newest Posts

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's problem is their defence. To be on the same level as the bottom 4 is attrocious.

The interesting thing about this is we've scored 1 solitary point less than Essendon and 3 points less than Melbourne. We're offensively about 40 points behind Collingwood. We're about 1 goal per game behind Port.

We would only need to improve our offence by about 1 goal per game to move up into their 'Premiership Window'.

I don’t mind the idea of the entire squad getting a Championship ring (or whatever they choose to call it) but only the 23 that play in the gf gets a Premiership medal.

So Gaff would have a championship ring but no medal.

I have NFI about most American sports but doesn’t the whole organisation get a ring? Would be nice for the boot studder to have a memento of a gf winning season to show their friends and family.

I don’t mind the idea of the entire squad getting a Championship ring (or whatever they choose to call it) but only the 23 that play in the gf gets a Premiership medal.

I have NFI about most American sports but doesn’t the whole organisation get a ring? Would be nice for the boot studder to have a memento of a gf winning season to show their friends and family.

Nothing stopping clubs doing that for their players and staff.

Premiership medals should be for Premiership players. History is littered with players who didn't get to play in a winning flag either due to injury or playing in a woeful side.

They are hard to get. That's what makes then special.

Not as far as I am aware. I'm pretty sure all players and coaches get one then they have a limited amount for support staff.

Gaff's custom design 'Championship Ring' 🤬😡

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear like a trooper with his **** caught in his zipper. No filter whatsoever when watching or playing. ****, I got sanctioned as a runner in my son's year 12 grand final for telling our small forward not to worry about the "fat farck" who had just turtled him.

But this is because I am a deeply creative, intelligent person with an abiding interest in the capacity for language to convey emotion.

I don't reckon Will Powell really thought his opponent was same-sex attracted nor do I think he has particularly strong feelings about the nature of homosexual activity. For genuine fear of being written off as a anti-woke rightwing gen-x loser, I do worry that there is a little bit too much literalism going on.

The other day someone was trying to run the argument that "mother****er" was misogynistic. Nothing inherently woman-hating about that. Incestuous, sure. If anything it is misogynistic by placing motherhood on such a pedestal that the idea of sexualising that role is anathema. But really? It's a great sounding word with the right combination of fricatives, dentals and plosives to really say a whole bunch more than "person who has sexual congress with mother(s)".

My favourite story about the word, incidentally, was an anecdote concerning the actor/producer/director William Conrad who wanted to stage an all-black production of Oedipus Rex, calling it, you guessed it, Mother****er.

I swear like a trooper with his utensil caught in his zipper. No filter whatsoever when watching or playing. *, I got sanctioned as a runner in my son's year 12 grand final for telling our small forward not to worry about the "fat farck" who had just turtled him.

But this is because I am a deeply creative, intelligent person with an abiding interest in the capacity for language to convey emotion.

I don't reckon Will Powell really thought his opponent was same-sex attracted nor do I think he has particularly strong feelings about the nature of homosexual activity. For genuine fear of being written off as a anti-woke rightwing gen-x loser, I do worry that there is a little bit too much literalism going on.

The other day someone was trying to run the argument that "mother*er" was misogynistic. Nothing inherently woman-hating about that. Incestuous, sure. If anything it is misogynistic by placing motherhood on such a pedestal that the idea of sexualising that role is anathema. But really? It's a great sounding word with the right combination of fricatives, dentals and plosives to really say a whole bunch more than "person who has sexual congress with mother(s)".

My favourite story about the word, incidentally, was an anecdote concerning the actor/producer/director William Conrad who wanted to stage an all-black production of Oedipus Rex, calling it, you guessed it, Mother*er.
You can swear without being racist, homophobic, etc.

Again, critique the performance, not the performer.

But the overall point is, we still haven't developed a safe enough environment for players in the men's game to be open about who they are. As a supporter group and industry as a whole. If players are already copping abuse based on nothing, imagine if they were to come out? (And there absolutely are). We can't even stamp out racism.

There is no place for name calling in any situation, especially when that is around terms that have been used to marginalise, bully and ostracise.

And yes, misogyny is a part of this as well.

Maybe add some empathy to that intelligence, ey?

I would love to know if players have "opinions" on whether opposing players might be gay?

To me it makes a difference.

If someone throws homophobic abuse at a random player, mainly because they are a mouth breather and haven't learnt anything from the hours of education they have sat though, that's one thing.

But if a player actually thinks a player is gay and hurls a homophobic slur at them, they should be hit with a massive penalty. And if it happened a second time, instant deregistration.

Obviously it would be nigh on impossible to determine this but would make a difference in how I view them, even if they were one of ours.

Did Will Powell self report? Surely some leniency if he did. Seems very genuinely contrite.

he seemingly did, but the league has gone in the direction of "everytime this happens again we're increasing the punishment to try and stamp it out"

I would love to know if players have "opinions" on whether opposing players might be gay?

If someone throws homophobic abuse at a random player, mainly because they are a mouth breather and haven't learnt anything from the hours of education they have sat though, that's one thing.

But if a player actually thinks a player is gay and hurls a homophobic slur at them, they should be hit with a massive penalty. And if it happened a second time, instant deregistration.

Obviously it would be nigh on impossible to determine this but would make a difference in how I view them, even if they were one of ours.
it all just seems so juvenile

But what if they are, and you don't know. You've just put another a barrier in place to someone feeling safe and comfortable in the work place. Put doubt around if they are allowed to be who they are.

There is no need for it.

It's why I loved Crowley's sledging. He was positive, and that was enough to through a player off, and they left feeling good.

Let's build people up. Sure, if they **** up, call it a shit kick. Couldn't hit the side of a barn. Why do we need t get personal at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back