Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect that one will run all the way up the court flagpole because a ruling that an employer is responsible for known and reasonably expected possibilities that the employees are fully informed/aware of before taking their position would impact far more than just professional sport.

Ultimately they will spend millions of dollars all to add a little waiver to the draft nomination form saying that the player (or guardian) has been made fully aware of the risks and chooses to still get paid big money to play the game.

That's the path I see it going.
True but there is also the question of how it'll effect underaged football

The only way I see AFL coming under financial pressure in the near future is due to the fallout of further CTE research and something like that will be the end of the entire sport not just a few teams.
If it ends this tin pot competition i’m all for it let’s face it it’s about Victorian teams anyway.

My tiered list of the most vulnerable clubs if the AFL ever downsized (making it clear this is about the business of pro sport -- nothing else):
  1. Most Vulnerable: North, Saints
  2. Vulnerable depending on how much downsizing is needed: Gold Coast, Fremantle, Bulldogs, Port
  3. Unlikely "but if sacrifices have to be made": GWS, Melbourne
  4. Really unlikely: Hawthorn, Geelong
  5. Keepers because the TV deal would be significantly worse off without them: Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Sydney, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide
If you had a national competition with just the 8 franchises in tier #5 you would have 45% of the teams & costs but probs 65%+ of the broadcast revenue, ie, the League would be more profitable and commercially viable
Sorry, but you are dreaming if you think the AFL is or ever have thought about downsizing.
Back in the days of the Golden Greek and his side kick Anderson, they were talking up a 20 team competition.
This will happen, we already have the 19th team being prepared for formation. All they need to do now is to create a team from the Territory.
When the 20th team comes in, some how they will run a two division competition. I have no idea how thet will do it, but that is what will happen.
And again, it will make for a weaker competition. The pool of talent is diminishing with every new team that enters the competition.
I know it is a dream that we have less Melbourne based clubs, but it ain't gonna happen.If they ain't gone now, then they will never go.

All they need to do now is to create a team from the Territory.
Northern Crocs.

NT + FNQ. Academy across Dampier, Tiwi, NT and FNQ. Gives them 3-4 grounds to pick from depending on season.
Darwin, Alice, Cairns, Townsville.

Sorry, but you are dreaming if you think the AFL is or ever have thought about downsizing.
Back in the days of the Golden Greek and his side kick Anderson, they were talking up a 20 team competition.
This will happen, we already have the 19th team being prepared for formation. All they need to do now is to create a team from the Territory.
When the 20th team comes in, some how they will run a two division competition. I have no idea how thet will do it, but that is what will happen.
And again, it will make for a weaker competition. The pool of talent is diminishing with every new team that enters the competition.
I know it is a dream that we have less Melbourne based clubs, but it ain't gonna happen.If they ain't gone now, then they will never go.
The logical thing to do is relocate Roos and saints to Tas and NT and keep it an 18 team competition, but with 8 vic teams and 10 non vic teams but that’s too logical.
19 teams suck for the AFL as they still only get 9 games a weekend to sell with a rolling bye.
20 would suit them far more as they can sell 10 games a week, however as you say it weakens the talent pool and would also affect the feeder comps as they’ll have nearly 90 of their best players sucked into the two new teams.
Can you imagine how long round 1 of draft night would go with 20 teams plus all the bid matching. Round 3-4 picks would be next to useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The logical thing to do is relocate Roos and saints to Tas and NT and keep it an 18 team competition, but with 8 vic teams and 10 non vic teams but that’s too logical.
19 teams suck for the AFL as they still only get 9 games a weekend to sell with a rolling bye.
20 would suit them far more as they can sell 10 games a week, however as you say it weakens the talent pool and would also affect the feeder comps as they’ll have nearly 90 of their best players sucked into the two new teams.
Can you imagine how long round 1 of draft night would go with 20 teams plus all the bid matching. Round 3-4 picks would be next to useless.
Tasmania has said many times, they do not want a broken down Melbourne club to represent them.And who can blame them.They like Hawthorn struggle to get bums on seat as it is now.
The Road Kill have already stared the AFL down over a move to anywhere.It wont happen.
And you will hear the Saints scream like spoit brats if ever they were to be told to move to the NT.
Melbourne and their ten teams will never change.NEVER.

A team out of NT / FNQ makes zero commercial sense. There's no eyeballs up there, no really dollars up there and getting players to commit to those teams will be a nightmare.

A 20th team would be best for NSW or Queensland.

I would have thought space and weather would be a challenge - I am not sure if they could compete physically for a long time either. Interesting idea though. Amazing place and lots of $$

Similar time zone so broadcast times won't need to either be not prime for the audience at the ground or a the home audience here watching at 2am Tuesday etc.

Plus, it will be spring/summer there during our winter season :)

Tasmania has said many times, they do not want a broken down Melbourne club to represent them.And who can blame them.They like Hawthorn struggle to get bums on seat as it is now.
The Road Kill have already stared the AFL down over a move to anywhere.It wont happen.
And you will hear the Saints scream like spoit brats if ever they were to be told to move to the NT.
Melbourne and their ten teams will never change.NEVER.

Tell the bolded to Fitzroy and south Melbourne. Never say never

Northern Crocs.

NT + FNQ. Academy across Dampier, Tiwi, NT and FNQ. Gives them 3-4 grounds to pick from depending on season.
Darwin, Alice, Cairns, Townsville.
I like it! Starting up a team that has to fly even to their home games surely means we would no longer be the team that has to travel the most each season.

Tell the bolded to Fitzroy and south Melbourne. Never say never
Fitzroy were destroyed by the VFL way before the AFL took over.
Sydney had no problems in going to Sydney. They held the South Melboure traditions.They went to a non Aussie rules state.
Tassie is a traditional Aussie rules state, and a state that, like WA and SA , held the AFL together. Tassie have a right to have a fully Tasmanian team, not a bombed out Melbourne club.
The sad part is that the VFL had a chance to remove a bundle of non financial teams was back in 1986 and before.
Had WA stood along side SA and held out and made demands, rather than rolling over like mongrel dogs with fleas, it would have happened.SA wanted to remove several on the broke Melbourne clubs.

A team out of NT / FNQ makes zero commercial sense. There's no eyeballs up there, no really dollars up there and getting players to commit to those teams will be a nightmare.

A 20th team would be best for NSW or Queensland.
If GWS's deal with Canberra ends it's probably the most logical spot for team 20.

GWS get better crowds there than in Western Sydney plus there's already a ground there to play at - they'd just need somewhere to train just like every team would.

Biggest problem with WA is the club's don't work in tandem to get a better deal.
West Coast are minted, so AFL is wary of them anyway.
The WAFC has been just an extension of the Eagles
Exactly the reason Fremantle were slung into the competition/ They were afraid of the Eagles having too much success.

Like South and East Fremantle, the Dockers and Yellas will never see eye to eye over anything.
The WAFC didn't want Fremantle as it could have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back