Non-Fiction Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I realise most here are into fiction, but this thread can be used to discuss any non-fiction books you've read.

You're welcome to give appraisals and talk about interesting info or aspects that you really liked/think are important.

Personally, 70% of what I read is non-fiction. My favourite topics are psychology, philosophy, spirituality, business and science.

Some books I have recently enjoyed

Flourish: Martin Seligman - talks about positive psychology and how to use it as a means for personal growth

7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Stephen Covey - business classic which talks about integrating principles into your work and home life and how important it is to see things from the perspective of other people

The Voice of Knowledge: Don Miguel Ruiz - Toltec wisdom which explains the reasons we think the things we don't, which often comes down to fear, being guided by the blind and taking everything others say to be true

Some excellent non-fiction books I've read this year:

The 6th Extinction, Elizabeth Kolbert
- discusses the nature of the current human-caused mass extinction, documenting the current state of 12 different species or eco-systems, referring occasionally to the 5 previous mass extinctions that the planet has seen

Eating Animals, Jonathan Saffran-Foer
- discusses our food culture and the ethics of eating meat

Homage to Catalonia, George Orwell
- about his experiences in the Spanish civil war

• Banned
Some ones I've completed recently -

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins: really dense, but well-argued and fairly scathing. It took my a full year to complete it, but enjoyed it none-the-less. Particularly liked his discussions on the moral implications for children.

The Personal MBA - Josh Kaufman: self-indulgent at times, but a good entry-level book for those interested in business. Really liked his sections on the human mind and the way they relate to business. More a self-help book than a straight business title.

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell: short, but interesting. It was fairly anecdotal, but raised some good points. His section on accumulated advantage was really good and still very relevant.

Flow - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: fantastic; really informative, well-researched and eloquently presented. One of the best books I've read this year.

Gratitude - Oliver Sacks: short, but profound. Meditations on ageing and confronting death.

Thinking Fast & Slow - Daniel Kahneman - Also dense, but really well-researched; in fact, a whole lifetimes worth of study, rumination and finding links between human behaviour, our predilections and the way we relate to our environment.

Last edited:
Recently read "Crimson Snow" by Jules Stewart, about the Second Afghan War. Not light reading, but interesting, especially if you have read "Flashman".

I realise most here are into fiction, but this thread can be used to discuss any non-fiction books you've read.

You're welcome to give appraisals and talk about interesting info or aspects that you really liked/think are important.

Personally, 70% of what I read is non-fiction. My favourite topics are psychology, philosophy, spirituality, business and science.

Some books I have recently enjoyed

Flourish: Martin Seligman - talks about positive psychology and how to use it as a means for personal growth

7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Stephen Covey - business classic which talks about integrating principles into your work and home life and how important it is to see things from the perspective of other people

The Voice of Knowledge: Don Miguel Ruiz - Toltec wisdom which explains the reasons we think the things we don't, which often comes down to fear, being guided by the blind and taking everything others say to be true

I love a good story and I love history , and for me clever quality historical fiction does the job. But you have to be really good at it, and have your research perfect almost.
James A Michener was really top of the ladder, Ken Follett and Pillars of the Earth and the intrigue in World without End, then his Fall of Giants trilogy of the twentieth century.
Les Carlyon wrote a great history of the first world war. Brilliant. Horrifying too.

Currently reading Janesville by Amy Goldstein. Really really good about the great recession, and the decline of manufacturing from one town's perspective. Would recommend.

Similar themes to Hillbilly Elegy which I would also recommend but from a community rather than individual perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back