No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I have zero problems with the AFL growing the game outside of Victoria. We don't need a 'gather round' here due the amount of football we already get.

This game needs to be grown in other states, my only problem with Gather Round' is the fact that it's locked into SA for the next few years, they really needed to have it traveling.

I've attended last year, and I'm attending this year, and will continue to do so as a bit of a holiday get-away. One weekend without footy in Melbourne during the season won't hurt.
To be fair it’s 2 weeks in the first 5 weeks of the season with no footy in Melbourne when you count opening round as well.

I just don’t want to hear the commentators banging on about gather round being fully sold out 8 times a game, whilst the TV shows empty spots in the crowd, just like they did last year

Reset the "days since Kozzie Pickett has launched himself into someone's head" counter

Not sure if “Like uncle, like nephew” roll off the tongue, but he is just as big a sniper as Byron Pickett (who was also bizarrely lauded as some sort of tough guy) was.

I mean...imagine that.

Why is every statement he makes as if he's performing Shakespeare on the stage?

For someone who portrays himself as a lion of credibility, he's swallowed the AFL Kool Aid on Gather Round.

View attachment 1950133

Wowsers.

I generally don’t mind Whateley, he’s one of the better AFL journos in what is a very shallow pool, but geez he can be pretentious.

I just don’t want to hear the commentators banging on about gather round being fully sold out 8 times a game, whilst the TV shows empty spots in the crowd, just like they did last year
I could see Andrew Dillion and Laura Kane's hands coming out of BT's mouth. An actual statement he made was "last year the Crows got 47k to their game, increasing to 48k this year'.

Also what happens when Tassie enters, someone getting the bye for this round?

I mean...imagine that.

For someone who portrays himself as a lion of credibility, he's swallowed the AFL Kool Aid on Gather Round.

View attachment 1950133
It's unfortunate that nowadays everything is the greatest thing you've ever seen until 5 seconds later when the greatest thing you've ever seen happens again....and so on....ad nauseum. Hyperbole is the new pandemic and we are all dumber for it.

It's unfortunate that nowadays everything is the greatest thing you've ever seen until 5 seconds later when the greatest thing you've ever seen happens again....and so on....ad nauseum. Hyperbole is the new pandemic and we are all dumber for it.
Just like every AFL player is a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge ramifications for the live ladder with significant consequences for the loser... in March

Huge ramifications for the live ladder with significant consequences for the loser... in March
The constant hyping is exhausting if you choose to engage with it.

Oddly, I find BT quite palatable during commentary which I know many don't. It's his cohorts I tune out from.

The list of palatable commentators is a very short one. Unpalatable.... exhaustive.

I have zero problems with the AFL growing the game outside of Victoria. We don't need a 'gather round' here due the amount of football we already get.
Neither do I. Indeed we dont need a gather round here, Im not sure that anybody other than perhaps a politician has ever said there was.
This game needs to be grown in other states, my only problem with Gather Round' is the fact that it's locked into SA for the next few years, they really needed to have it traveling.

This is the nub of the issue for me. Gather Round isn't really about growing the game, given its being played in one of the games two biggest heartlands. What it's actually about is the AFL rapacious greed and its ability to get taxpayers to essentially underwrite whatever it likes be it new teams, new or expanded stadium's or whatever initiative that it comes up with or errr...borrows from other codes.

If Gather Round was about growing the game outside of its tradition heartland then it wouldn't have put the whole thing out to the highest bidder hoping that a state with a desperate need for 'major events' would bite. Which of course is exactly what happened and now that its be proclaimed a big success. SA is on the hook and will continue to re-up and blank cheque the event whenever the current deal expires. The idea that it was ever going to be a carnival of football that would rotate between the non-Victorian states is fanciful. It was always a battle between WA and SA. It's a SA thing now which is fine, but it does nothing for growing the game where it actually matters. But that was never the AFL intent.

We've seen the exact same playbook being used with when it comes to international sports extorting the state government of Victoria and its major events. The MBA at the AFL did what they do best (not administer the actual game) and recognised this big fat cash cow just sitting and said lets eat.

I've attended last year, and I'm attending this year, and will continue to do so as a bit of a holiday get-away. One weekend without footy in Melbourne during the season won't hurt.
Hollidays are good. I'll be in Adelaide in a few weeks for a non-football related one of my own.

It doesn't hurt me that there isn't any football in Melbourne this weekend, because even if there was I'd only be invested in one game anyways. Just as they are for the rest of the year, all the other games would be on as background noise if I was at home. Personally, I couldn't imagine anything more stupefyingly dull than going to multiple games as a neutral over a single weekend. But Im weird like that.

Enjoy your holiday.
I mean...imagine that.

View attachment 1950133
Gerard is obviously a man of the people. So much so that I would expect that they carried him all the way to the elevator.

Imagine getting aroused by the sight of Patrick Dangerfield and Corned Kanes.

The constant hyping is exhausting if you choose to engage with it.

Oddly, I find BT quite palatable during commentary which I know many don't. It's his cohorts I tune out from.

The list of palatable commentators is a very short one. Unpalatable.... exhaustive.
There are plenty of bad ones, but the clear worst for me is Dwayne Russell.

The insane hyperbole starts immediately and never lets up.

I rarely last more than 5 minutes with the volume on when he's calling.

2. The SA clubs being gifted an extra home game.

ABC Grandstand last year:
"No, no, no one's losing a home game..."
While completely ignoring SA teams now have an additional home game each.

And in the case of us and Blues last year, and Demons and Bombers this year, DON'T play in a neutral Gather Round fixture.

My only gripes with Gather Round relate to ( in descending order of importance)
1. The Dogs constantly getting shafted on a “home” game there
2. The SA clubs being gifted an extra home game.
Last year worked out okay in that we didn't have to go back to Adelaide again and had no game in QLD either. This year though we still have to play the Crows and Power in Adelaide plus Geelong in Geelong.

Last year worked out okay in that we didn't have to go back to Adelaide again and had no game in QLD either. This year though we still have to play the Crows and Power in Adelaide plus Geelong in Geelong.

We played 23 h&a games last year.
9 home games at Marvel.
2 home games at Mars.
11 away games across the country at other club's designated home grounds.
1 'neutral' game in Gather Round. At Adelaide Oval. Against Port.

Pick the odd one out.

Port and Crows had 11 home games last year.
And 11 away games.
Plus one 'neutral' game each in Gather round.
At Adelaide Oval.
Against us and Blues.

This year they have 11 home games plus that completely neutral (!) game in Adelaide against Dees and Bombers.

They have >50% home games. The two clubs drawn to play them each year have <50% home games.

Every other club plays 11 home, 11 away, and one actual neutral game.

9 home games at Marvel.
2 home games at Mars.

Pick the odd one out.

And 11 away games.
At Adelaide Oval.
Against us and Blues.

This year they have 11 home games plus that completely neutral (!) game in Adelaide against Dees and Bombers.

They have >50% home games. The two clubs drawn to play them each year have <50% home games.

Staggering the numpties at the AFL cannot see this most glaring issue, so glaring for the first time I agreed with a Chris Scott winge.

The other thing I don't get. There are 8 SANFL grounds, why aren't these used more instead of double headers at the Adelaide oval.

Would be nice for us to play at Elizabeth given our role in the formation of Central Districts

9 home games at Marvel.
2 home games at Mars.

Pick the odd one out.

And 11 away games.
At Adelaide Oval.
Against us and Blues.

I made this point on the main board thread. No biggie if it's shared around each year but if it's a permanent thing in Adelaide then that's a huge leg up to get an extra home game above the rest of the competition every season.

Got the usual #VICBIAS replies of "what about the grand final", "the crowd is neutral so its not a home game" and "Vic clubs play 15 games in Vic" which all completely miss the point, as well as some even arguing that both club's winning record isn't so strong there so it's not even a home ground advantage 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back