Roast No 'Rising Star' nomination in 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett or Jackson have shown enough this year so its not a huge concern for this year's draft class

The hole in the age demographic between 20-22 isn't ideal though

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Oliver would have received a Rising Star nomination in 2017 (or more likely won the award) if he hadn’t played 13 games in 2016. Weideman deserved one in 2018 for his game against WCE. Fritsch, Hannan and Hore were too old by the time they debuted, Sparrow and Jordon might have been nominated if they could break into the side, etc. The Rising Star is a total faff award - we’ve traded a lot of high picks between 2016-2018 and taken a few mature aged players with later picks but between Petty, Spargo, Bedford, Pickett, Jackson and Rivers we’ve picked up enough decent young talent to keep the list turning over and it’s not as though our core is old - most of our most important players are under 26yo. This is the least of our concerns. I don’t think we’d really feel any better just because Kyle Dunkley or Oscar Baker player well enough one week to be considered the best young player that week. And we’re not going to feel better about the list if Pickett, Jackson, Sparrow, Jordon or Rivers pick up a nomination this year.

Gysberts won a rising star nomination TWICE, I wonder what he's doing right now?

We should get him back. Always liked him.
I would love to know what he’s doing! 2-1 a trade, 7-1 a PE teacher, 25-1 running a yoga studio.
Project Administrator at Technic constructions

Seems his dad has even confirmed one of his skills on Linkedin, seems legit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gysberts won a rising star nomination TWICE, I wonder what he's doing right now?

We should get him back. Always liked him.
Sam Blease got two nominations too. It isn't a super important award anyway. Rhys Palmer won it and even recent winners like Mills and Hogan have plateaued a lot since (albeit injuries haven't helped).

Last edited:
Sam Blease got two nominations too. It isn't a super important award anyway. Nick Suban and Rhys Palmer won it and even recent winners like Mills and Hogan have plateaued a lot since (albeit injuries haven't helped).
Nick Suban never won the Rising star

Haselby?

He was a good player for a while though
I thought they had a couple in the late 00's. Anyway, point hopefully stands that it's an imperfect predictor of who will/won't be a great player (although injury seems to have held a lot of winners back from their true potential).

We should open a thread for players with dual nominations.

Reckon we would have 28 premierships if that was the case

Remove this Banner Ad

Back