AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ll take time to digest it.

But once I do I think I’ll think that this is about right for us at the moment.

We’re building, and we’re close. But we’re not quite at premiership level.

Continue to focus on fitness. Don’t think we were covering the ground well enough in the second half and it cost us uncontested ball and forward options when our contested game was destroying them.

Handball to be a focus. Not only in execution but in its use. The Dees are a great example of predictable outlet options and high percentage overlaps.

Gatt and Craven to have a huge preseason. Would look at bringing in a quality, senior body winger while Gatt physically develops.

O’Shea would have been huge today. Need her to be the drive off half back with Bresnehan.

Wall at chf with a better grasp of running pattern fundamentals.

Eddie, O’Loughlin look the goods as small / medium forwards options.

Gavalas is handy in the contest but her limits with the footy can hurt.

They set up and move the ball well does that Melbourne team.

But that was a winnable game given the amount ball we controlled and inside 50’s. Forward line needs more zing.

Overall I’m happy the team made the prelims. At the start of the season I didn’t think we’d make finals given the amount of senior players that left.

The individuals are improving but the team itself needs to take another step forward if it wants to beat the teams like Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide.

I thought after last season we’d go in a different direction with the coach but there isn’t a candidate out there I don’t think worth pursuing that’s worth changing things up. Plus having the team make it to prelims this season probably justifies not making that change.

Fix the ******* forward line and gameplan!
Our game plan was fine last week.

We lost so many contests over the ball today and didn't win it the create space for each other away from the contest. Especially in the first half.

Alot of other things too but that was crucial.

Honestly yeah, we needed a plan b for their defense in the second and third quarters. Banging long to the contest always happens in those situations we were in during the last quarter. Late in the game and everyone has pushed up to win the ball and break the oppo's ability to lock the ball in, while we're under pressure and need to score. It needs more experience and composure at that point and we didn't really have it. Hopefully next year they'll learn from it.

Anyway to stop that we needed to adjust, especially in the third, and switch the ball late (ie forward of the wing) while they flooded back.

Its understandable when players are hot and tired and under scoreboard pressure - go to your tall contested marking beast at FF. Especially if you've trained for that all year and its really worked. But that part of the game plan was an issue.

But really it was only an issue cos Melbourne stopped us in the first half with intense pressure in the midfield.

Probably wouldn't have hurt to have Vicki Wall in the middle just to shepherd and block in the first half. Easy to say with hindsight tho.

We played timid footy.

To many standing and watching - one handed tackles and not attacking the ball , one handed attempted pickups.

It’s was great improvement from last season -especially when you take into account the players we lost and the new players we had to integrate into the side.
It just hurts to get that close and have the opportunities we did

Not taking our chances in the 3rd quarter really cost us. Disappointing in the last, but still a good season.
It was the forward entries more than the forwards in the third that cost us any chance of breaking the game open, every kick went to Randall who was double or tripled teamed, and once the ball hit the ground the Melbourne players collapsed around the ball locking it in and not allowing our smalls any easy snaps.

Overall, I think it was a very good season from the girls considering the number of new players that came into the squad, the shortness of the preseason and the difficulty of the draw. 10 of our 13 games were against teams that finished in the top 8, 4 against the top 3 and we were competitive in every game.

Crocker has built a competitive squad, he now needs improve the fitness and skills of the girls and build a gameplan that stacks up better against those top 3 teams. Surely that can't be too hard. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good effort but outclassed. Their system was far better than ours. Umpiring was confusing but not an excuse. Still happy with the season, hopefully the guys can start to move in this direction i.e., prelim in 2024.
Probably the most rational post in the thread today.

Maybe the occasion got to some of the players or their composure was thwarted by the opposition - there were clearly too many errors that didn't appear to come from a lot of pressure, but when the opposition needed to, they managed to hit the scoreboard.

I think that first free against Emma that cost the opening Melbourne goal was a bit rough. The ump was blindsided, yet paid HTB when it appeared that Emma got a handball away.

Probably the most rational post in the thread today.

Maybe the occasion got to some of the players or their composure was thwarted by the opposition - there were clearly too many errors that didn't appear to come from a lot of pressure, but when the opposition needed to, they managed to hit the scoreboard.

I think that first free against Emma that cost the opening Melbourne goal was a bit rough. The ump was blindsided, yet paid HTB when it appeared that Emma got a handball away.

We got away with a throw seconds earlier.

We competed hard but got almost no easy kicks at goal, where they got most of their goals from marks and gettable set shots. Better spread from contest, better delivery, easier shots = more goals. It wasn’t that we had easy shots and sprayed them. Melbourne defence too well structured as well.

Delighted with the season, though - so much younger and less experienced than we have been, and we were solid top four and really closed the gap on the perennial top three.

Finally, Jenna Bruton, again. Absolute champion today.

Super proud of the women on a very good season. After last season, we wanted improvement and we got it. After the last two seasons, we wanted a finals win and we got two of them. And ever since the robbery of 2020, we've desperately wanted a preliminary final appearance and we got that too. All-in-all, Crock, Kearns, and the whole team delivered.

Also, Brisbane, you have one job.

Super proud of the women on a very good season. After last season, we wanted improvement and we got it. After the last two seasons, we wanted a finals win and we got two of them. And ever since the robbery of 2020, we've desperately wanted a preliminary final appearance and we got that too. All-in-all, Crock, Kearns, and the whole team delivered.

Also, Brisbane, you have one job.
Indeed, only a Lions win will erase my inner demons.

I actually thought we were pretty decent for large stretches of today

But Melbourne's defence was absolutely outstanding and then they took their opportunities when it mattered. I honestly don't think it mattered how good we were sometimes because Melbourne's backline was just that good imo

Heaps to look forward to though. The young girls have come in this year and really refreshed us. We probably look as quick and as skilled as we ever have because of those girls.

Really need Tess and Tay to have massive pre-seasons and establish themselves as dominant wingers next year. They've got all the talent to do.

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but there's something old-fashioned and even a bit charming watching footy at Ikon Park, and I would much prefer the North men's team play the likes of GC and GWS there than at a 1/3 filled Marvel Stadium.

Melbourne held their shape better at stoppages.

We scrambled hard but could not get reward for effort.

For all the effort in the third we simply could not get clean entries

Reality is we clearly had enough ball but did not do enough with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back