Past Nick Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 24. Nick Stevens

This post will be edited and updated after each game Stevo plays.

Nab Cup Game 1 v Essendon: Probably one of the top 3 for the Blues. Often maligned for his 'softness', Stevo was a little harder at the ball, particularly in the first half and kicked a pearler in the second half after some great evasion and poise. Was hurt a few times by Monfries when going forward, the defensive side of his game is something he needs to work on.
21 Disp, 1 Goal

Nab Cup Game 2 v Hawthorn: Standout player on the field, Stevo really led by example tonight. Ran particularly hard, found plenty of the ball, but most importantly, hurt the opposition with most of his possessions. Just seems to ooze class. Best user of the ball in the side.
29 Disp

Nap Cup Semi-Final v Kangaroos Another fine performance from Stevo. Again propelled many forawrd thrusts, but more importantly, seemed to clear the ball well from stoppages. A crucial goal in the last quarter from 48m out on the tightest of angles was superb. Again in the top 3 on the ground.

Nab Cup Grand-Final v Brisbane Rounded off a fantastic start to the season with a BOG performance in the Grand Final. Is showing everyone at Carlton what I have known for a very long time, he is one of the AFL's top 10 midfielders. I hope he can carry this form into Round 1.
26 Disposals 1 Goal Michael Tuck Medal

Absolutely fantastic game by Stevens last night. Easily best on ground - he tried super hard and if he can continue that into the season proper, a huge chance for the B&F and possibly even give the Brownlow a shake, provided we have a decent season.

Nick has been a standout all through the NAB cup ..if he carries this form into the season proper he will be in all Aus contention by years end .
Great work Nick :thumbsu:

All Stevo needed was some support in the midfield and he now has that.

Should be a great 2007 for Nick :D

Exactly, Stevens was always the "gun" of the CFC midfield, from the first day he arrived, he was heavily tagged and while he was still very good, he wasn't able to be damaging going forward. We all know he has great skills, on the left and right foot aswell, he's an accurate shot for goal.

As BG said, now that he has Murphy, Gibbs, Bentick, Simpson who are quality players, and a few others being rotated through the midfield, who are learning their trade, he will have the support, and the opposition players may well have to tag Murphy, which will give Stevens some free space to run in and be damaging.

I have always said Stevens is capable of winning a Brownlow medal, and I still think that is the case, the popular belief is that it helps playing in a winning team, so hopefully for his case, Carlton can start winning consistantly and jump up the ladder.

Stevens will always get possessions, no matter if he is being tagged or not, but if the tag is not as heavy, because the opposition taggers are concentrating on someone else, as I said before, he'll be able to get some space going forward and damage the opposition on the scoreboard, (whether it be kicking goals himself, or setting up a goal for Fev or Kennedy or Fisher or Betts or anyone of the forwards that we now have in abundance) and get the umpires attention.

I think Stevens will win our B & F this season, and I think he'll poll quite well in the Brownlow aswell, but I don't think he'll win it this season.

(See I can post sensible stuff when I am not being silly)

Someone has kidnapped DC and is posting under the same username..........

On Stevens, don't undersetimate the power of motivation (and 100% fitness).

Stevo came to the club at our lowest ebb, missed out on a premiership and was at a club that was as far from it as you could get.

Can be hard to get yourself up consistently - while being heavily tagged, hammered by your own fans (me included), and having niggles, with no great support (Kouta excused).
What we are seeing with Stevo is fitness, but I think a realisation that if he gives his all then it will actually matter - and make a difference to the team result.
Easily the player of the NAB cup for me.

Other teams posters ask where has our improvement come from. Aside from being ignorant about the improvement in our list, I believe this confidence, and realisation that we can put some results on the board will see an improvement beyond what our list indicates.

Stevo and Murph to fight it out for B&F.:thumbsu:

Stevo came to the club at our lowest ebb, missed out on a premiership and was at a club that was as far from it as you could get.

Can be hard to get yourself up consistently - while being heavily tagged, hammered by your own fans (me included), and having niggles, with no great support (Kouta excused).
What we are seeing with Stevo is fitness, but I think a realisation that if he gives his all then it will actually matter - and make a difference to the team result.

Other teams posters ask where has our improvement come from. Aside from being ignorant about the improvement in our list, I believe this confidence, and realisation that we can put some results on the board will see an improvement beyond what our list indicates.

Totally agree with that.

And no-one has stolen my name and started posting :p

As I said, if im being serious, and not posting silly things about Banno or Kennedy, I actually post some intelligent stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, Stevens was always the "gun" of the CFC midfield, from the first day he arrived, he was heavily tagged and while he was still very good, he wasn't able to be damaging going forward. We all know he has great skills, on the left and right foot aswell, he's an accurate shot for goal.

As BG said, now that he has Murphy, Gibbs, Bentick, Simpson who are quality players, and a few others being rotated through the midfield, who are learning their trade, he will have the support, and the opposition players may well have to tag Murphy, which will give Stevens some free space to run in and be damaging.

I have always said Stevens is capable of winning a Brownlow medal, and I still think that is the case, the popular belief is that it helps playing in a winning team, so hopefully for his case, Carlton can start winning consistantly and jump up the ladder.

Stevens will always get possessions, no matter if he is being tagged or not, but if the tag is not as heavy, because the opposition taggers are concentrating on someone else, as I said before, he'll be able to get some space going forward and damage the opposition on the scoreboard, (whether it be kicking goals himself, or setting up a goal for Fev or Kennedy or Fisher or Betts or anyone of the forwards that we now have in abundance) and get the umpires attention.

I think Stevens will win our B & F this season, and I think he'll poll quite well in the Brownlow aswell, but I don't think he'll win it this season.

(See I can post sensible stuff when I am not being silly)

2 questions:

WHo are you?
And what have you done with DC ??

Agree. I've been super impressed with Nick, particularly in the NAB cup GF. If he can continue that form into the season proper, he could be an elite midfielder in the comp - his NAB cup form has been his best in his time at Carlton.

Was going to start a thread, but thought I'd wipe the dust of this one and see if I get some results...

Just wondering whats the go with his neck? Is he fine to start full training tomorrow? Contact allowed?

Has anyone else had a similar injury in the AFL?

Was going to start a thread, but thought I'd wipe the dust of this one and see if I get some results...

Just wondering whats the go with his neck?
Has been posted in numerous threads dedicated to Nick.......can't believe I didn't get to this one.........:eek:

In short, he had a disc in his neck that had bulged and was pushing on a nerve.
The disc (which is basically a spacer between vertebrae) has been removed and replaced with a piece of bone from his hip (very painful - more so than the neck after surgery).

Is he fine to start full training tomorrow? Contact allowed?
He was limited to non-contact training for 3 months minimum, but given the timing with the season, they didn't push it at the end of the year and decided to just let him come back for pre-seaon........in other words had we been playing finals he might have been a chance to play, but given our situation it wasn't worth the risk.
Has anyone else had a similar injury in the AFL?
Yes, plenty of players have had disc bulges but they all differ in severity and where they push. This changes the management options, so AFAIK Nick is the only one to have had this fusion, but I stand to be corrected.

If the bulge was in a different location (i.e. pressing on the spinal cord rather than the nerve) it may have been in-operable and he would have had to retire.

Cheers Bluebear... Appreciate the effort. All this talk of Judd and I hadnt heard anything recent of our other mature aged star.

Saw him at the pub on friday and he didn't seem to have a worry in the world! So good signs one feels!

Dear "Nick Stevens new Buddy"

The challenge is set for you this year.
In the following thread:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417398

the allegations are

Sharks On A Plane said:
His man racks up more possies then him every game, and they are usually more damaging.
and
Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite said:
He's unaccountable, and frankly isn't good enough to be. You can only not worry about your opponent if your clearly more damaging than he, and unfortunately Stevo never seems to be.
Thats a big reason why i didn't want Stevo as captain. An unaccountable bloke, who lets his opponent cause serious damage

The task is simple. See who his oppinent is head to head, count the possies and the effectiveness of disposal.:thumbsu:

Stevens should play in the Bullants practice match next week

Stevens should play in the Bullants practice match next week
Apparently Stevens is a big unhappy that people think he has suffered an injury alike to last years, and that he's right for round 1:thumbsu:.

I heard it on... Nightline I think it was?

Where and when?

Well, I'm not 100% sure that he will definitely play, but he MAY play. But the game will be at Princes Park at 10am on Saturday

Apparently Stevens is a big unhappy that people think he has suffered an injury alike to last years, and that he's right for round 1:thumbsu:.

I heard it on... Nightline I think it was?

Yep, there's an article about it in today's HUN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back