Traded Nicholas Coffield

Remove this Banner Ad

Another 17 touches for Coff against the Dees. Looked more composed this time and used his pace and composure well.

Had 75% TOG which was 14th most and ahead of Newnes and Roberton, although they are much more well known propositions.

At this point he'd have to be close to a game in Round 1.

Nick wasn't selected for Round 1 despite promising signs in his two JLT games. I don't think it will be too long before we see him in saints colours though.

Playing a practice match in the VFL this afternoon. Will try and get some reports although I imagine most of us will be watching a different game!

Nick Coffield will make his AFL debut when the Saints take on the Adelaide Crows at Etihad Stadium this Saturday.

Coffield, the No. 8 pick in last year’s draft, has had a strong start to his time at RSEA Park.

The 18-year-old received the news from senior coach Alan Richardson early this afternoon.

“He just told me that I’m going to make my debut this week, which is pretty special,” Coffield told saints.com.au

“It’s an amazing feeling to hear him say that. It’s a bit surreal. I’ve been dreaming about it since I was a little kid.”

Coffield was a shining light in St Kilda’s opening JLT Series game, collecting 20 disposals, five marks, five rebound 50s and four inside 50s.

“It hasn’t dawned on me that it’s a reality yet, so I’m sure that will come in the next few days,” he said.

“I’ve just got to try and embrace the next few days and hopefully get the win on Saturday.”

The instructions from his coach were simple – be physical, be aggressive and back yourself in.

“We’ve just got to play our own game and not go away from what makes us a good team,” Coffield said.

“Be hard at the contest, take the game on and not go into our shell.

“If we play at our best, I think we can beat anyone.”

Coffield captained the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup, also earning All-Australian honours after a standout national carnival with Vic Metro.

Go Sainters.

Top 10 draftees Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield have re-signed at St Kilda, extending their current contracts until the end of 2021.

The pair put pen to paper earlier this week with high hopes of what’s to come at the Saints.

“It’s an awesome feeling. Speaking on behalf of both of us, we’re pretty keen and excited because we’ve got such a bright future,” Coffield said.

“We’re looking forward to hopefully improving as individuals and as a club over the next four years."

Taken at pick No. 8 in last year’s National Draft, former Northern Knights captain Coffield praised the club’s new facilities at RSEA Park.

“It's an upgrade from Seaford where we started, so yeah we’re sort of just getting used to the whole new environment, just embracing it and making the most out of it.”

Get to know Nick Coffield

The 18-year-old sported a new addition to his footy boots in the away fixture against Geelong on Sunday to create awareness for the PC12 Foundation.

Adding ‘PC12’ to his boots was Coffield’s way of raising awareness of the anti-coward punch charity established in honour of Pat Cronin, a family friend of the Coffields who was tragically killed on April 16 2016.

“Our family’s pretty close with them, so to create a bit of awareness around them I put ‘PC12’ on the back of my boots because it was his two-year anniversary yesterday," he said.

Fellow draftee Hunter Clark was the Saints’ first selection, taken at pick No. 7, and the silky midfielder is looking forward to building on his two senior games at St Kilda.

“It was pretty awesome,” Clark said of making his debut in St Kilda's Round 1 win against the Brisbane Lions.

Get to know Hunter Clark

Clark and Coffield moved in together after being drafted, and Clark’s assessment of his housemate’s habits is frank.

“Yeah, he’s pretty messy, leaves his food lying around a lot,” he said.

“Nick likes to give himself haircuts that look terrible most of the time. He just walks into my room and he’s shaved the sides of his head off.

“It’s good fun though, we’ve had some pretty good laughs and hopefully we can live with each other for a couple more years.”

St Kilda fans will be hoping the pair can also combine on the field and build on the exciting glimpses they have provided in the opening four rounds.

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coff looking pretty at home so far. Would imagine he'll get a reasonable run of games for the next few matches. We'll probably rest him up at some stage but we haven't been afraid to play first years if we think they're ready.

Nick Coffield put in a near best-on-ground performance for Sandringham on the weekend, and with skipper Jarryn Geary out nursing a calf strain, the top 10 draft pick looks to be the likely replacement.

Coffield has impressed in his first year in the red, white and black, and his elite ball use and vision could help launch the Saints into attack from the back half.

Go Saints

Top 10 draft pick Nick Coffield also comes back into the fold for the Swans game after a near best-on-ground performance for Sandringham last weekend.

The Northern Knights product has made an impression so far at the elite level in his debut year and is already well-known for his composure on the ball and class by both hand and foot.

Go Saints

Hamill says - Nick Coffield 9 kicks, 9 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles

Coff’s defence between the arcs is going to be a really important thing for him to learn and grasp. We like how he’s developing for us, and over time he may even play midfield, so there are really good signs for the club. He’s going to be a really important cog moving forward, and if we can get him to defend the right way, he’ll give the coach a number of options and play a pivotal part.

Go Saints

Nick Coffield hasn’t played senior footy since Round 12, and he’s spending time in the VFL to work on his defensive craft and ability to play man-on-man under the guidance of Aaron Hamill.
The ex-Northern Knights skipper’s potential is evident in his high draft selection, and Coffield will undoubtedly feature heavily for the Saints in seasons to come.

Go Saints

Top 10 draftee Nick Coffield comes back into the fold for the game against the Giants after a series of strong performances for Sandringham, the latest a 29-disposal haul against Richmond.

Coffield’s hallmark is his composure under pressure, and the 18-year-old will be looking to continue his recent form to solidify a senior spot before the season’s out.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back