Toast Nic Naitanui #1 Ranked player in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance Nic makes the 22 IMO, on AFL 360 they discussed how you only have 1 and Gawn has been the best (apparently) but they did mention they'd like to see Darcy rewarded for some reason

When was the last time the No.1 ranked player didn't make the 22? It's not like he scraped into the No.1 spot either he is head and shoulders above the 2nd ranked player and a league ahead of Gawn. Must be in the 22 and must be the starting ruck.

No chance Nic makes the 22 IMO, on AFL 360 they discussed how you only have 1 and Gawn has been the best (apparently) but they did mention they'd like to see Darcy rewarded for some reason

Agree, just don't see the narrative being there this year. It's crazy, Naitanui has done things this year that no other Ruckman has done before with remarkable consistency and no-one's going to remember Gawn's form slump in the middle, but they will remember that mark and goal.

And you've got morons like Langdon with his yearly - 'I don't rate Nic Nat' - screeds, which makes it easier for a primarily Victorian based panel who doesn't watch our games to ignore Naitanui's year - 'if Langdon doesn't rate the Naitanui, he must be no good - he watches the games'.

Both Nic and Gawn made it last year

Nic's just not a player that benefits from the 'chuck him on the bench' lucky inclusion. He should have been in '15 but wasn't.

Very happy to be wrong, but don't see it happening - happily he'll still win our B&F in a canter. His resume is finally catching up to his legend, which is great to see.

Both Gawn and Naitanui are excellent ruckman, yet they are hugely different players outside the rucking. Both bring different strengths to their teams so it depends what the team needs. Given WC's weak midfield Gawn would be useless at WC

I mean I fully expected the general ignorant public to rate Gawn ahead of the Naitanui purely because it's a 2021 truism that Gawn is the best ruck in the AFL, but the weird idea that Darcy has had a better season than him is gaslighting me something fierce

Kinda wish we had nic successor in the way we had Coxy's successory. I'd genuinely love to to us throwing a 202cm 111kg bull into the coal face

I think he's in.

I wouldn't use being picked by the 360 hosts as any form of metric that helps your case to the final team.

Kinda wish we had nic successor in the way we had Coxy's successory. I'd genuinely love to to us throwing a 202cm 111kg bull into the coal face
Big issue here is we've had 2 generational rucks back to back, both greats for different reasons.

Big shoes for Bailey Williams/Jamieson to fill. Lets hope another year or two of Natters and one of them comes on more (put Vardy in the bin of course).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is highly likely NN makes 22 squad.

I think Gawn's mark and goal locks him in for the #1 spot; recency bias and all that. And as others have said, the Max Gawn #1 ruck narrative has been in full motion.

However, Nic has been knocked his entire career for his 'low disposal count', with suggestions that if he could get it to 15+, he'd be absolutely elite. Guess what? he had a career best year in this area by a country mile, and I haven't heard a word about it, because surprise, surprise, disposals have never been the cornerstone of his game.

Side note; 159 clearances for the year as a ruckman is absolutely off the richter.

I mean I fully expected the general ignorant public to rate Gawn ahead of the Naitanui purely because it's a 2021 truism that Gawn is the best ruck in the AFL, but the weird idea that Darcy has had a better season than him is gaslighting me something fierce
I don't think anyone in the media had said Darcy has had a better year than NN TBF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back