New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would a low-drawing club want to play in an expensive oval ?
To save costs I would imagine the Olympic stadium to be a pure oval suitable for cricket and AFL.
NRL have a great stadium so why wouldn't Brisbane2 play there ?
I think the idea around Brisbane 2 is so they can get more games played at suncorp. Suncrop is planned to be used at the Olympics so will be upgraded in the process. The new gabba will likely be bigger then it currently is at a higher, more modern quality. Post Olympics it sounds like it will stick with being for the afl and cricket.

I think the idea around Brisbane 2 is so they can get more games played at suncorp. Suncrop is planned to be used at the Olympics so will be upgraded in the process. The new gabba will likely be bigger then it currently is at a higher, more modern quality. Post Olympics it sounds like it will stick with being for the afl and cricket.
Correct. The Gabba will continue to host AFL and Cricket but most importantly it guarantees a test match in Brisbane. It could also come into the discussion for World Cup Semi Finals in Cricket or other sports too. The current Gabba is tired. It is old and cannot compete with the new stadia around the country. They tried to make some upgrades last year ahead of the Grand Final but that was really just a bandaid solution.

The Broncos struggle to fill Suncorp to half capacity as if it is. There is no chance that the second NRL team (the little brother) will play at an expansive GABBA.

Whether it’s the Dolphins, Jets or Firehawks it will be a miracle if they will be able to afford a full season as the second tenant at Suncorp as it is.

The Lions, Heat and Australian cricket team (average 28,000 to 30,000 at the run down Gabba) will be the sole tenants of the new ground

The Broncos struggle to fill Suncorp to half capacity as if it is. There is no chance that the second NRL team (the little brother) will play at an expansive GABBA.

Whether it’s the Dolphins, Jets or Firehawks it will be a miracle if they will be able to afford a full season as the second tenant at Suncorp as it is.

The Lions, Heat and Australian cricket team (average 28,000 to 30,000 at the run down Gabba) will be the sole tenants of the new ground
You will be surprised how an attractive 'sexy' state of the art stadium does in getting bums on seats

You will be surprised how an attractive 'sexy' state of the art stadium does in getting bums on seats

For 2 or 3 seasons sure but the gloss wears off.

Case in point Adelaide and Port Adelaide attendances 2-3 seasons after Adelaide Oval's redevelopment.

The Broncos are the biggest rugby league club in the world and they struggle to regularly get more than 40% capacity at the best rugby league stadium in the world...

Little brother will get Brisbane Roar like attendances after 2 or 3 seasons

So how much over budget will the Gabba be personally I think they should build it to 60 and 50 is too small for the Olympics
If its 50k then its only about 8-10k more than what the Gabba already is. if you are going to re-build the whole thing, you'd think they should increase the capacity by at least 15-20. Subiaco only held about 45k but Optus holding 60k is a huge boost.

If its 50k then its only about 8-10k more than what the Gabba already is. if you are going to re-build the whole thing, you'd think they should increase the capacity by at least 15-20. Subiaco only held about 45k but Optus holding 60k is a huge boost.
Maybe it is too difficult to increase the size considering the constraints with streets around

It’s been said that the new Gabba will have 50,000 seats.

But I can’t help but think they should build the 50,000 in a horseshoe like Adelaide Oval, leaving one of the goal ends open (probably the eastern, so less people have to stare at a setting sun).

And then have temporary seating like Carrara Oval for the Commonwealth Games to boost the capacity specifically for the Olympics to over 65,000.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been said that the new Gabba will have 50,000 seats.

But I can’t help but think they should build the 50,000 in a horseshoe like Adelaide Oval, leaving one of the goal ends open (probably the eastern, so less people have to stare at a setting sun).

And then have temporary seating like Carrara Oval for the Commonwealth Games to boost the capacity specifically for the Olympics to over 65,000.
The problem is that the Gabba seems to (according to my layman's eye) have hit the constraints of its available area. When you drive down Stanley Street - four one-way lanes with lots of shops etc on the opposite side to the ground - you pretty much drive under the top levels of the stand.

It's not like the G where you have pretty much unlimited room to expand.

So I thought there was a thread dedicated to the Springfield facility, but I can’t find it. But this article, made me actually think a bit more about where Springfield is in the context of Brisbane.

So I looked it up, and got the latest aerial images from Nearmaps. And I thought I would share.

25683920e580aa94ca0a738467d33713.jpg

25fa5bfcd63f076e14f4cf77baad0021.jpg

3abc8d56d0a98797a5460da9810fee09.jpg

50abf43555c6b8439bd28adf89f8e7ee.jpg

978286c6d6f29b401ca8f6cc4988ec0b.jpg

4a1ae5aedc0ecc9b9538b2ea3dd9554d.jpg

6525f4a966f1643fda2b760743401815.jpg

It’s right next to the train station and the shopping centre. But it is at the end of a spur line, and just seems so far away from anything, that it wouldn’t be good as a replacement for the GABBA whilst it gets redeveloped.

So I thought there was a thread dedicated to the Springfield facility, but I can’t find it.

It’s right next to the train station and the shopping centre. But it is at the end of a spur line, and just seems so far away from anything, that it wouldn’t be good as a replacement for the GABBA whilst it gets redeveloped.
The issue is that there are very few places closer to the City that are suitable as a replacement. The Showground would be the dream, but it will need a significant rebuild, and it doesn't have much room to expand since its constrained by a railway line and a road.

Outside of that, Allan Border Field, cricket's secondary facility, has no train station nearby, and Queensland Cricket might not want it being cut up by AFL games. QSAC also has no train station and would need a full rebuild and reshaping. Can't think of anywhere else that would have long-term use once the Lions no longer need it.

With the GABBA rebuild now all but dead, it seems momentum is gathering behind a new Brisbane Olympic Stadium at VIC Park with a 70,000 capacity. The Lions have come out today backing the plan. Lions back 70k-seat Brisbane stadium plan in major step after $2.7bn Gabba rebuild falls apart

For me this is easily the best plan. Even if only it’s only 60k, the Lions desperately need a larger stadium to grow (they’ll be close to selling out every game this year), and they can continue to use the Gabba until it’s ready.

IMG_8954.jpeg

VIC Park won’t be site constrained like the Gabba so costs will be much lower, it’s close to the Cross River Rail Exhibition station and is large enough to house multiple entertainment facilities whilst still having a lot of green space. The Gabba can then be turned into high density apartments which the city needs and will make the cross river rail Gabba station more worthwhile.

Last edited:
With the GABBA rebuild now all but dead, it seems momentum is gathering behind a new Brisbane Olympic Stadium at VIC Park with a 70,000 capacity. The Lions have come out today backing the plan. Lions back 70k-seat Brisbane stadium plan in major step after $2.7bn Gabba rebuild falls apart

For me this is easily the best plan. Even if only it’s only 60k, the Lions desperately need a larger stadium to grow (they’ll be close to selling out every game this year), and they can continue to use the Gabba until it’s ready.

View attachment 1920104

VIC Park won’t be site constrained like the Gabba so costs will be much lower, it’s close to the Cross River Rail Exhibition station and is large enough to house multiple entertainment facilities whilst still having a lot of green space. The Gabba can then be turned into high density apartments which the city needs and will make the cross river rail Gabba station more worthwhile.
Where is the money going to come from for this project as my understanding is that the state government is almost broke?

Where is the money going to come from for this project as my understanding is that the state government is almost broke?
lol no aussie state is broke. there is plenty of borrowing capacity and means to meet higher interest costs that spread the cost of this multigenerational asset across multi-generations

Who's going to meet the interest rates on money borrowed?
Same people who meet interest costs for moneys borrowed for other purposes. Plus the amount of people living in qld rising meaning more people to meet higher costs to benefit from more infrastructure.

i pulled out some data on debt
So right now, for this year, Victoria has a public sector net debt level of around $160b, on a revenue base of $97b, which yields a ratio of 165%
Queensland in comparison has a debt level of $55b on a revenue base of $95b, for a ratio of 58%
So Queensland if it adds say $10b of debt for Olympics (which is far more than they will and NO change to revenue base), ratio only goes up 68%. still less than half of Victoria
NSW equivalent ratio is 111%. SA is 101%. WA is 40%. Tassie is 68%

So if you think Victoria and NSW are broke right now and functioning like a basket case such as Greece was back in the day, well noone else does and its not on the news. Qld is way better leveraged. Not quite as good as WA - but better than all other so-called basket cases which are just spluttering along with chaos in the streets.

stay safe out there
1709628211356.png 1709628237281.png 1709628256705.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back