Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That original kings reserve master plan was from 2017. Councils love putting together master plans. Lots of day dreaming and pretty pictures. Reality checks like funding, infrastructure, funding, risk mitigation and funding tend to mean most master plans end up nothing more than door stops

Since then, a little thing called COVID has upended all council budgets, plus the South Road works would render a lot of that master plan redundant.

The crows development involves arborist and traffic reports costing tens of thousands which address all these material concerns. The clubs paying for all of these. So, tick and tick on those.

At least the North Adelaide residents had the good Grace to say no to everything. The Thebarton “residents”(?) want to hedge their bets and have the club pay for a facility that meets their personal wishes and not the clubs.

Hopefully the council and state government can see through it.
That doesn’t take away from what they were fairly expecting from the previous consultation and plan.

Look, I understand people on here are pissed off with this and the previous attempts to find a new home, it all adds up to a feeling of unfairness and possible persecution but the perspective of the residents etc quite justifiably feel the same. If people on here with little skin in the game can’t see that then I’d suggest their views aren’t of a balanced perspective, it’s not like it inflicts on the casual Adelaide BigFooty poster or casual supporter who lives no where near the area does it! Yet some of the whining on here suggests it does.

Plenty of us are fully aware of the state of play in this.

The club has a dedicated website

The council publishes the minutes of the advisory panel meetings

The council publishes all meeting agenda minutes and reports

The club released revised plans addressing needs

It’s all there if you want to educate yourself.

Nothing the club does will appease this mob who aren’t involved in any of the formal discussions or panels (though they were free to nominate themselves)

That doesn’t take away from what they were fairly expecting from the previous consultation and plan.

Look, I understand people on here are pissed off with this and the previous attempts to find a new home, it all adds up to a feeling of unfairness and possible persecution but the perspective of the residents etc quite justifiably feel the same. If people on here with little skin in the game can’t see that then I’d suggest their views aren’t of a balanced perspective, it’s not like it inflicts on the casual Adelaide BigFooty poster or casual supporter who lives no where near the area does it! Yet some of the whining on here suggests it does.
Except it does

Their “expectation” is their own problem. The crows now “expect” 2 full sized ovals and have a signed off MOU on this. That out trumps a wishy washy Masterplan that is out dated in costing and simple logistics of the biggest roadwork project being undertaken on its door step.

And let’s not pretend that area up until now is quiet suburbanville. They had a thriving SANFL team at the peak of that comps popularity and across the road was a very popular weekend market. I’m too young to remember what traffic was like specifically back then but I do remember going to the brickworks market and car parking was sprawled out everywhere and the place was pumping. Still had the best yiros I can remember from there back in the day too.

Strange that these people had no qualms about the iconic brickworks markets being turned into a ******* Woolworths.

5500 petition against Crows redevelopment of Thebarton.

Its high time the government stepped in and paved the way for this development to occur.

Its high time the Crows stopped pandering to the local community and give concession after concession.

Now the locals want only one oval.

They will never be satisfied.

Its time for action. I have had a gutful of these selfish NIMBYs.

and probably 5450 of those have never set foot on the area concerned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess if it was in your own backyard you’d have a say, that you don’t I can only assume it’s not. If it was you’d probably want some input and rightly so.
The myopic view that some on here have about this and the borderline Full Lindy attitude that goes with it is telling. If you don’t live in the council or direct area then the impost on you is half of f*** all, (it boils down to petty AFL football bitching), whereas the impost it has on the residents is possibly very concerning.

Again, I’m in favour of the development, to me it’s a no brainer as a football precinct and for the AFC but there are fair and reasonable concerns for the residents and the area.
People on here need to take a wider perspective, AFL and the AFC may be a big part of your worlds but it doesn’t rate a rats fart in its own toss bag for many.
I don’t live in the area but I do live accross the road from a SANFL football oval. I also park on the street so I know how annoying it is on game days. So there beef is that trees are going to be chopped down. Trees that are going to be replaced. The fact that building this precinct there will improve their house value. That the eye sore that is their now will look 100 percent better. That there will be green areas that they can walk there dogs, play with their kids. I’m sorry but this is just a pack of no life whingers if you ask me.

Again, it was in reference to people on here with no real skin in the game acting like Lindys and showing no real consideration to another perspective.
Oh please, the club is bending over backwards to please these people. Just because people have an opinion here doesn’t give you the right to act like a righteous pr@ck

No one gives a heck about development so long as it suits your interests and it doesn't heck with your sanctuary.

I think that's what Chaz is getting at and he /she is right.

We've all got NIMBY in us. Just some are worse than others (like these few West Torrens idiots).

No one gives a * about development so long as it suits your interests and it doesn't * with your sanctuary.

We've all got NIMBY in us. Just some are worse than others (like these few West Torrens idiots).
I tell you what, if there was a major development in my area and it meant a loss of some trees, I wouldn’t give a toss because there are other trees.

Let alone make it a crusade.

We already knew that. Ecology is not important to you.
Selfishness isn’t important to me. I wouldn’t stand in the way of a development in my area, especially not one that was actually bending over backwards and would also bring benefits not only to an area but also a significant number of people in the state.

But hey, those trees are far more important.

No one gives a * about development so long as it suits your interests and it doesn't * with your sanctuary.

But isn’t that the same everywhere? Nothing stays the same forever. You only need to look at St Clair and all the green space which is now housing development. How many trees were chopped down for that? Woodville Road is a disaster with all the infrastructure around it. I would take 2 ovals any day over housing.

Good to see the squabbles still going on, not like they need new training facilities soon or whatever, looks like the Women are training by candlelight at West Lakes as AFLW pre-season starts this week

How am I entitled? I don’t live in the area, I used to for decades, still have many friends in the area and have a lot of ties to the area. I’m just providing another perspective as to the echo chamber here.
Your not just adding another prospective it’s like you are taking it personally. What is it you are calling people ‘little skin’ ‘full Lindy! You’re not one of this group trying to sabotage the redevelopment are you?

I guess if it was in your own backyard you’d have a say, that you don’t I can only assume it’s not. If it was you’d probably want some input and rightly so.
The myopic view that some on here have about this and the borderline Full Lindy attitude that goes with it is telling. If you don’t live in the council or direct area then the impost on you is half of f*** all, (it boils down to petty AFL football bitching), whereas the impost it has on the residents is possibly very concerning.
How am I entitled? I don’t live in the area, I used to for decades, still have many friends in the area and have a lot of ties to the area. I’m just providing another perspective as to the echo chamber here.
Appreciate the follow up of ''used to for decades'' but its still ironic you posted these comments

Back