Need advise on X-Trainer runners or boots?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
I'm playing competitive footy for the 1st time in my life at the tender age of 39! Yep, I'm playing in an the over 40's comp! Really enjoying training so far but due to the drought the ground is really hard on my legs so I was wondering if anyone has any advise on X Training runners or boots?

I know there are 2 threads on footy boots already but seeing the council won't allow us to wear stops (as it'll tear up the ground) I thought I'd start a new thread purely on getting advise about runners/ or boots that are friendly to drought stricken grounds.

I currently wear Brooks which seem to stop me getting shin splints but I purchased them awhile back when I was solely inside doing gym classes or treadmill so I think I better get something else before I get an injury.

I keep hearing about Asics gels and wonder if they really do absorb the shock? Also are there X Trainers designed to kick a footy in? I've worn runners in the past that might feel good on but the ball doesn't come off the boot all that well ... (ok that might be me then. ;))

Would really appreciate any thoughts or tips. :thumbsu:

cheers

I'm playing competitive footy for the 1st time in my life at the tender age of 39! Yep, I'm playing in an the over 40's comp! Really enjoying training so far but due to the drought the ground is really hard on my legs so I was wondering if anyone has any advise on X Training runners or boots?

I know there are 2 threads on footy boots already but seeing the council won't allow us to wear stops (as it'll tear up the ground) I thought I'd start a new thread purely on getting advise about runners/ or boots that are friendly to drought stricken grounds.

I currently wear Brooks which seem to stop me getting shin splints but I purchased them awhile back when I was solely inside doing gym classes or treadmill so I think I better get something else before I get an injury.

I keep hearing about Asics gels and wonder if they really do absorb the shock? Also are there X Trainers designed to kick a footy in? I've worn runners in the past that might feel good on but the ball doesn't come off the boot all that well ... (ok that might be me then. ;))

Would really appreciate any thoughts or tips. :thumbsu:

cheers

nothing wrong with 39 shags, i'm there on friday!
i'm a junior coach who trains with my boys not just directing traffic. i have the following pairs of runners:
  • adidas supernova cushion
  • asics kayano 14
  • asics nimbus 10
  • nike free 7.0 x trainer
i prefer the nike free because of the hard grounds. i am lower to the ground because there is minimal cushioning which means less chance of an ankle roll. to be honest, with the hard grounds, even a runner with the most cushioning (kayano) will not provide much. i am a runner also, approx 40 k's a week on mostly footpaths.
the nike free's are great for your feet.

I have found asics are great but wear down very quickly for the price, if you want you could wear an indoor soccer shoe it will help with the kicking but its not great for your ankles (they are very flat) I have puma complete magnetists find them great they also have side lacing like the footy boots. Nike free's are great as well and help to strengthen your leg and core muscles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back