NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions just to good today,,, Aspley matched them in the first half, and then Lions broke the game in the third quarter where they converted their forward thrust, whilst Aspley still had plenty of forward thrust, but small errors and extreme defence from the Lions resulted in many turnovers.... basically the difference was the 14 listed full time Lions players, that have plenty of combined senior AFL experience.The local clubs just cant match this sort of team.
When the final siren sounded, the elation and jubilation shown from the Lions players in winning the flag was virtually non existent,,,,which maybe shows its not such a big thing to win the Neafl flag for these Afl reserves sides,,, certainly nothing like the importance for a local club to win the flag.Its a very disjointed set up.Now the Lions have to take on the Swans next week and if they win, I don't think that will be much more important to them either. Now,,,,, if there was a national reserve grade comp. in existence, I bet you that winning the flag in this sort of comp would be so serious, it wouldn't be funny.
For example imagine a Lions reserve grade side taking on say a Collingwood reserve grade side for the flag!!!,,,, There would be so much at stake,,, and if the game was played in QLD, you would get 10000 people to the match.Anyway, just my thoughts !!!
On the subject of crowds,there was a concern that todays crowd may well of been poor, but that was not the case.Im not to bad at predicting crowd sizes, and I reckon there were some 3000 plus at todays game.

Now I know this is nothing to do with our qld comp, but I just want to mention that my old stomping ground in my playing days be it the Ovens and Murray league down in Albury/Wodonga ,Wangaratta and north east victoria areas sees a Yarrawonga vs Albury grand final next Sunday, for the fifth year in a row.Yarrawonga should win as they have some 7 ex Afl players such as Fevolva,Ottens, Pettifer, Ednie,Hargreaves, McKee etc, not to mention a host of gun locals with lots of experience and some gun youngsters.This Yarawonga side would have to rate as one of the best ever teams in Victoria country footy and would certainly give any top NEAFL side a run for their money.
In this comp the grand finals are played at the Lavington sports ground which is a state of the art facility.It has turnstiles for entering patrons, thus they can provide a very accurate count of the crowd attendance.Last season they had an attendance of some 14800 people, and this may be a little lesser this year as there are only 3 clubs involved in game day... be it Albury vs Lavington in both the under 18s and reserve grade , and Albury vs Yarrawonga in the seniors.Still I reckon they will get 12000 plus ...just amazing passionate crowds.That phrase passionate crowds, is huge down there, something that is very lacking in comparsion up here in QLD footy.

Well we aren't a footy state Stuyd - how do the local RL GF's go down on the Murray border?

Now love what he's done or hate him, I can say that one major plus for M.Conlan so far this year is his presence at AP finals - was at the GF yesterday doing all sorts of work, not swanning around trying to hob knob but doing game day stuff that normally some lackey would be doing. Never, ever saw Griffith at an AP game. Qld footy to him was the top level and the top level only.

Well we aren't a footy state Stuyd - how do the local RL GF's go down on the Murray border?

Now love what he's done or hate him, I can say that one major plus for M.Conlan so far this year is his presence at AP finals - was at the GF yesterday doing all sorts of work, not swanning around trying to hob knob but doing game day stuff that normally some lackey would be doing. Never, ever saw Griffith at an AP game. Qld footy to him was the top level and the top level only.
SMY.
in fact the local rugby league grand finals attract some 6000 .More dominant in the Wagga area, but Albury Thunder won the comp in 2012, and are in this seasons grand final in a fortnight.The 2012 grand final was played in Albury and as I said , attracted some 6000.

Think you would see some passionate crowds at the lower levels of footy too - just not 14,000 of them!:)
Yes correct smy.
Within say a 150 klm radius of Albury/Wodonga, there are minor football leagues such as the Murray, Hume, Tallangatta, Riverina, and Ovens and king leagues where all comps have 10 to 14 clubs competing and their grand finals attract some 3000 to 5000.Just a way of life down there.

SMY,
ur right. Conlan did the same today, and not only that, I saw him meeting some of the crowd, shaking hands with supporters and having a quick chat,..

Well done to Lions, but surely no one can seriously be surprised at result - in this or in Eastern Conference. Competitions won by two professional football teams against 2 semi professional part timers.
Regrettably, it seems like its only going to get worse with word new NEAFL will allow AFL teams to play a full list of players. If Lions & Swans want to win, they really just should.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that Jordan Lisle was having a stand out game against Geelong FFS!

Hornets can hold their heads high as they were clearly the best non AFL Club in the comp. Great credit to John Blair!

SMY,
ur right. Conlan did the same today, and not only that, I saw him meeting some of the crowd, shaking hands with supporters and having a quick chat,..
Well I suppose twice in a year to be seen or heard of that's a bonus, what a load of crap. for a man in his position he should be seen and heard a lot more of. Look at Richard when he was in the job.

Has appeared at Noosa this year as well RK for a club game (and in fact seen every club play this year at AP level). Richard was a ghost - NEVER saw him (or heard from him) unless it was NEAFL footy of which a handful are Qld clubs anyway.

Not sure anyone is surprised at the result Yesterday and the reason for the changes in NEAFL footy next year are directly related to your nest comment - the Lions/Suns want to be able to play full lists which they can't do atm bc they would destroy every other side. Having top up players keeps its competitive at least. This is why Aspley and co will be significantly stronger than this year - they need to be. In any case the VFL and SANFL have weak sides as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Port Power are heading down the Academy track as well next year - the concern is that they might "hide" potential players! Not really on the radar of our Academy guys i would think!!

Conlan on ABC radio at halftime selling the benefits of the new NEAFL - not sure he would have convinced the large and passionate group of Morningside supporters who had been there earlier supporting their reserves, who headed back to the club post presentation ... And a couple of families of Southport reserves players near me also a bit uncertain - if they don't make NEAFL squad where will they end up next year?

However that's all done now - Teams no longer in NEAFL will move on - hopefully if Morningside and the other relegated teams can retain a reasonable number of current players, supporters can look forward to watching good state league footy next year against "traditional" rival clubs.

Did stay for first half of NEAFL - bit of a strange atmosphere where I was, near a large number of Lions supporters. Clearly largely Lions seniors supporters who came to support listed players now senior season finished. Not a great deal of knowledge of their top ups, or of Aspley players in general. Nothing wrong with that - at least they were there supporting in person - but made me wonder re crowds / support for NEAFL in Qld next year with only 3 local clubs involved and lots of games against NSW/ACT teams / less "away" games within travel distance of supporters / likelihood of more imports from down south in local teams.

So with the NEAFL northern conference now officially finished and all of the relegated QAFL clubs starting to plan for 2014, I'd be interesting in hearing from the Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Broadbeach and Labrador fans as to whether they will continue to have an interest in the NEAFL in 2014 and into the future, or will your focus now be squarely on the QAFL and the team you support?

This NEAFL bigfooty forum may get very quiet!

Yeah FM I went to the 2nd semi and there certainly isn't "passion" among the Lions people for the 2's side. Just footyheads who watch the Lions play, 1's, 2's or their 10's if they had a side. Good question Peanut, I reckon PBC will go out and find a few leftovers from the NEAFL sides - I'm sure there are blokes who were involved with PBC from junior days, moved to one of the NEAFL teams to play better footy, happy to come back if they are now in the same comp. Might hold true too for clubs like Grange and Springwood (assuming they get in) - the thinking may be that there is less movement bn clubs?

I agree. Beth Newman did a good job with the grogan the other day and her article about her experience in SA for the state game was excellent. She also reports on lower divisions and takes the time to get coaches comments etc. I have no idea who she is but she is doing an excellent job.

The NEAFL write ups are ok but I remember in 2011, when the neafl started the content on the website was excellent. 3-4 articles per day. Clearly there has been cut backs in this area.

With regards to southport, IMO their lack of success in recent years compared to previous is a sign the comp has gotten a lot stronger. I reckon they may go with a change in coach next year probably a high profile, and I expect of their 35 more around 50% will be new players. They will retain 15 or 20 max of current list IMO. Means 30-40 need to find a new home

Beth's a fantastic young woman who also began playing footy this year with the University's inaugural ladies side. If you get a chance check out her weekly pieces on the AFLQ website about her experiences learning to play the game titled "Winging It".

So with the NEAFL northern conference now officially finished and all of the relegated QAFL clubs starting to plan for 2014, I'd be interesting in hearing from the Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Broadbeach and Labrador fans as to whether they will continue to have an interest in the NEAFL in 2014 and into the future, or will your focus now be squarely on the QAFL and the team you support?

This NEAFL bigfooty forum may get very quiet!

Only interest in how boys from relegated 4 teams fare in NEAFL if they decide to leave their clubs.. For Aspley, Redlands and Southport to be competitive they will have to recruit at least 6 stars outside Qld. Games against ACT local clubs will continue to be a waste of time.
How excited can you be about travelling to Canberra 3 or 4 times a year, once in a lifetime is one trip too many.
Also the Suns will have to change their attitude regards 100% performance all year. Enormous expense from clubs to what end. !

The new QAFL comp will bond Qld footy and I expect good local support and a new unity amongst clubs. Can't wait for ot to start

How many listed players will line up for Lions and Swans this weekend ? Bet you it will be single figures for each team.

Only interest in how boys from relegated 4 teams fare in NEAFL if they decide to leave their clubs.. For Aspley, Redlands and Southport to be competitive they will have to recruit at least 6 stars outside Qld. Games against ACT local clubs will continue to be a waste of time.
How excited can you be about travelling to Canberra 3 or 4 times a year, once in a lifetime is one trip too many.
Also the Suns will have to change their attitude regards 100% performance all year. Enormous expense from clubs to what end. !

The new QAFL comp will bond Qld footy and I expect good local support and a new unity amongst clubs. Can't wait for ot to start

How many listed players will line up for Lions and Swans this weekend ? Bet you it will be single figures for each team.

Some good points made. The new state league will be fun notwithstanding some lopsided results at least initially.

For mine the problem with the NEAFL and why it's being changed is that local clubs can't compete with AFL clubs when they are injury free and keen. Will new NEAFL fix this? Perhaps assist but pros will beat semi-pros always. Secondly that several lopsided games. On the second point IMO full AFL lists and no chance of sydney teams keeping up with the elite southport the lopsided games will continue.

Also when the cue is in the rack and/or injuries have hit the AFL teams struggle (eg suns lose by 94 points last time they played and lions wooden spoon 2 years ago). A full strength Hornets beating an injury depleted Suns by 150 points can happen and will be a bad look. fact is its a compromised comp. New Neafl doesn't change this.

I reckon clubs will get tired of playing in a comp that where September action may be rare, and may end up opting back to state league.

An AFL reserves could be the solution

Always a difficult solution though guys - I reckon you will find the QAFL will be a great comp for spirit and passion amongst players and supporters alike. Be a really good step for young guys to test their wares as well.

Well I reckon the weekends result showed exactly why the NEAFL needed an overhaul. The best local team in QLD couldn't get near an AFL side with only 15 listed. If the league was left the same, we would only keep getting the same results. Still not sure the model is quite right, but hopefully the local clubs can make some grounds on the AFL boys next year if a few of the better players from the relegated teams migrate over. The biggest change needs to come from more professional strength and conditioning and a higher level of fitness for all players on the list of 35. I think most teams showed this year they could compete with the AFL teams for a half, but the superior fitness always took hold of the game in the second half. If Southport, Redland and Aspley can bridge that gap that's half the battle won even if they keep the same personal on-field. When you think about it, there will actually be more winnable games in the NEAFL next year with more games against Canberra and Sydney sides and maybe North Queensland too...

If you can't beat 15 listed players, how are you going to go against 22 ! You will need to import a lot of players at the expense of your present list including Reserves and Under 18s. I am not convinced that there will be a lift in professional fitness and medical support unless there is a major mindset change in Qld football by club administrators and you are assuming employers will allow more time off from work and students will struggle with commitments. What satisfaction will you get in beating Canberra teams and Sydney Uni !
Did anyone consider an overhaul excluding the AFL reserves. Why put your club at financial risk and risk of offending your local community (overlooking local players) simply to provide more competition for the AFL reserves.

Don't reckon they will list 22 too often thunderdoc, if ever. I don't even know if the AFL teams were able to list the full 18 listed players on too many occasions this year with relatively healthy injury lists and Suns list is getting smaller again next year.

Don't think there will be too much change at all in the type of teams the AFL teams roll out, NEAFL teams need to somehow lift to get to that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back