NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Handy pick ups Stuy! Is Bock playing?
As far as I know, at the moment no he wont be playing but has indicated he would like to depending on that bad leg of his. Put it this way he has only got on the park for about 5 games in the past 2 seasons for The Suns ressies in this comp (NEAFL) Really cant see him playing again, besides , he hasn't coached before, so he will have enough on his plate one would suspect , especially at NEAFL level.
Hunt will be a good player for them, straight out of the AFL .

so Matt angus gone?

Yes, gonesky. Been hard done by I feel, as only a few weeks ago was told he had the job for 2015 as long as no higher profile canidates popped up.( strange that isn't it) . He had just completed his grade 3 level coaching certificate course and the day he returned home was called and notified of the newly made appointments.( that's the gossip I hear)
He had the Sharks playing some great footy and from round one , and nearly every round after that had major players dropping like flies with season ending injuries to 5 or 6 of their best players.etc etc. The team he had on the park in the last 6 or 7 rounds were a shell of their best available full listed team.
In his 3 seasons at Broadbeach, he really did install a new era and renewed culture and professionalism into this club and ask Tinka Zorko who was the main influence on him to assist him make the big time when all was looking lost!! Zorko will tell you, it was Matt Angus.!!

Yes, gonesky. Been hard done by I feel, as only a few weeks ago was told he had the job for 2015 as long as no higher profile canidates popped up.( strange that isn't it) . He had just completed his grade 3 level coaching certificate course and the day he returned home was called and notified of the newly made appointments.( that's the gossip I hear)
He had the Sharks playing some great footy and from round one , and nearly every round after that had major players dropping like flies with season ending injuries to 5 or 6 of their best players.etc etc. The team he had on the park in the last 6 or 7 rounds were a shell of their best available full listed team.
In his 3 seasons at Broadbeach, he really did install a new era and renewed culture and professionalism into this club and ask Tinka Zorko who was the main influence on him to assist him make the big time when all was looking lost!! Zorko will tell you, it was Matt Angus.!!

Obviously you are a Matt Angus Fan, but looking at his record as a coach at his time at Broadbeach and Southport is not flattering with 8 Wins in his first year
at Broadbeach with a team that was handpicked by himself that Included Jason Eagle who kicked 80 Goals that year. In his 2nd year after a a large exodus of the handpicked players from the previous year 9 wins and then this season at Southport 8 wins. You can argue that he has had injuries that has effected Team Performance but that applies to every team. Matt is someone who has a very strong sense of Self Belief but in Matt,s case as a coach that is not enough. Unfortunatley for Matt, Southport is not a club that tolerates a lack of on field success and it was pretty obvious early that he was a caretaker only waiting for the next big name to arrive.

Have had word that he lost the playing group midway through the season, hence the sudden drop down the ladder.

Have had word that he lost the playing group midway through the season, hence the sudden drop down the ladder.

Spot on Ruffles the Senior Players that I know confirmed this to me also. Unfortunately, I think Matt is out of his depth at Senior Level and more suited to Under 18 level where he certainly had some success with Clermont in WA.

Spot on Ruffles the Senior Players that I know confirmed this to me also. Unfortunately, I think Matt is out of his depth at Senior Level and more suited to Under 18 level where he certainly had some success with Clermont in WA.
Must agree. I was going to mention that in my post the other day.... he is very good with the young players development.

Obviously you are a Matt Angus Fan, but looking at his record as a coach at his time at Broadbeach and Southport is not flattering with 8 Wins in his first year
at Broadbeach with a team that was handpicked by himself that Included Jason Eagle who kicked 80 Goals that year. In his 2nd year after a a large exodus of the handpicked players from the previous year 9 wins and then this season at Southport 8 wins. You can argue that he has had injuries that has effected Team Performance but that applies to every team. Matt is someone who has a very strong sense of Self Belief but in Matt,s case as a coach that is not enough. Unfortunatley for Matt, Southport is not a club that tolerates a lack of on field success and it was pretty obvious early that he was a caretaker only waiting for the next big name to arrive.
Wrong, Im not a Angus fan, all I was saying is that he brought a new culture and more professional approach to Broady, no one can deny that.
As of injuries during the year, Southport had a shocking run, much more then any other club, so don't say that didn't hurt the teams results. You are off par here Counselor.And agree, a lot of club people and players did not agree with his ways and methods at both Broady and Southport, so be it.

To me, it seems that Southport's problem was two fold:

1. They didn't improve their playing list - if anything it was down of the previous year. Who's fault is that - the Club's or the Coach - not sure who is responsible but others at Club need to take responsibility. Reality is that their bottom 10 weren't up to it when they were called on.
2. Their injury list really was a shocker. Take a look at season ending injuries and long term injures and there would be few clubs, at any level, who could get through. Take the best 8 or so out of Hawthorn and Sydney, and neither of them are likely to play in a Grand Final. Yes, injuries occur at every club but don't think any other NEAFL Club copped anything near the run they had.

Doesn't disappoint me that they weren't playing finals. Its about time they experienced a period of doing it tough, like Aspley has, like Redland has.

I doubt that simply sacking the coach is going to fix the problem. They need their best players fit and injury free and they need to bat deeper. Their second tier isn't good enough.

To me, it seems that Southport's problem was two fold:

1. They didn't improve their playing list - if anything it was down of the previous year. Who's fault is that - the Club's or the Coach - not sure who is responsible but others at Club need to take responsibility. Reality is that their bottom 10 weren't up to it when they were called on.
2. Their injury list really was a shocker. Take a look at season ending injuries and long term injures and there would be few clubs, at any level, who could get through. Take the best 8 or so out of Hawthorn and Sydney, and neither of them are likely to play in a Grand Final. Yes, injuries occur at every club but don't think any other NEAFL Club copped anything near the run they had.

Doesn't disappoint me that they weren't playing finals. Its about time they experienced a period of doing it tough, like Aspley has, like Redland has.

I doubt that simply sacking the coach is going to fix the problem. They need their best players fit and injury free and they need to bat deeper. Their second tier isn't good enough.
Yesterday,
exactly where Im coming from.... good post.And bringing in Bock as coach , who has no experience or qualifications , is a unknown quality.

Yesterday,
exactly where Im coming from.... good post.And bringing in Bock as coach , who has no experience or qualifications , is a unknown quality.
Yesterday,

I can,t believe you would describe Bock & Hunt as having no qualifications or experience. How about over 300 AFL Games between them.

I can,t believe you would describe Bock & Hunt as having no qualifications or experience. How about over 300 AFL Games between them.

Doesn't necessarily mean they can coach especially at community level, dealing with blokes that have jobs outside of footy etc. It may work wonders it may not.

Feel for how Angus was treated but I guess it wouldn't be the first time the board has endorsed a coach then changed its mind week later (Western Bulldogs for example today).

Yesterday made some good point re: depth and injuries and heres the thing- I'm not sure the depth issue is going to be solved overnight. I know there's a few good players leaving so even if they recruit 6-7 good players the depth issue still remains.

Angus did a good job under the circumstances. The NEAFL is challenging with no reserves, the top-up system, academies to juggle, asking a very high commitment from players etc. Throw in having to try and get ex Broady and Labrador players to gel with the Sharks guys and losing the likes of Wise Niklas and James over the summer and a shocking injury list and its no surprise there were some poor results. No doubt some of the players were offside but it doesnt shock me given the NEAFL circumstances that these guys operate. Redland going through similar issues despite playing finals.

Its fair enough though the Sharks chose a new direction and not surprising they wanted a big name. Hopefully for their sake the AFL influence will assist with recruiting/retaining players. Good luck to Bock and Hunt but anyone that thinks "the coach was the only problem" and now everything will just fall in place is kidding themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole coach juggling doesn,t just sit with the Qld teams only.

I spoke with a few players in the Hume league down here who reckons the Eastlake coach was sacked with a year to run on his contract ($60k plus) and the club is trying to cry poor!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...ing-groups-feel-the-pinch-20140717-zsomc.html

Rumour is no-one wants to touch the job either, with 2 of the clubs preferred candidates already turning it down.

The whole coach juggling doesn,t just sit with the Qld teams only.

I spoke with a few players in the Hume league down here who reckons the Eastlake coach was sacked with a year to run on his contract ($60k plus) and the club is trying to cry poor!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...ing-groups-feel-the-pinch-20140717-zsomc.html

Rumour is no-one wants to touch the job either, with 2 of the clubs preferred candidates already turning it down.

I have it on good authority from a GWS board member that Eastlake thought they had Stephen Gilham across the line which is why they made the decision to sack Anthony Burke ( similar to Bock/Angus caper at Southport)- but then that fell over and they had to advertise

The story gets better as they then stuffed up an agreement with Kade Klemke from Qybn by ' crying wolf' that he had told the media before they could announce it so he pulled pin

Then they had another candidate signed and sealed who had experience in an AFL club environment and coaching experience at Vic Country level but he pulled out as he perceived the club to be unprofessional and have a poor culture after dealing with their Footy Manager even though the offer was $100k +.

We have had several players here at SH Eagles approached by both Ainslie & Eastlake over last month or so and feedback is that Ainslie are so much more professional and thorough - All reports from the guys is who ever is running the show there at Eastlake sounds like a bit of a goose and he ain't doing them any favours in the Sydney football market place that's for sure

Think they might be in for another tough year in 2015 !!!

Bit naive if you think this qualifies as coaching experience..
Royce Hart played a lot of footy too. So did Jezza.
Correct, just an example, let me add a few more at the elite level, Tim Watson,Bernie Quinlan, Gary Buckernara, Ian Bluey Hampshire, Robert Shaw, and the list goes on. Ive seen exactly the same egs at local footy league levels as well.Some of the great coaches at AFL level didn't play a great number of games in their AFL careers, for eg, Jeans, Hafey, Kennedy.
These days, one with aspirations to become a senior coach in any comp, will be looked at more seriously if he has participated and gained coaching certificates in the courses provided by the AFL. For example, Angus had just completed and gained his cert 3 level qualification, along side ex lions champ, Simon Black.yes, this doesn't make them a great coach in the making simply because there are a lot of other skills required, as we all know.But to walk into a senior coaching job at NEAFL level, with no coaching experience and qualifications is a risk . And that was my comment about Bock being chosen as Southports coach.In no way Im saying he will fail, in fact if he has got good coaching assistants around him and has excellent people skills, he may well be a huge success. One thing is for sure, he (Bock) will quickly learn the difference between being a player and moving on to be a senior coach .

Could have been amazing, but too many fence sitters like yourself. A very big club needs a very big broom now.

They were forced to have a big broom last year, that's why there was so much resentment within the joint.

Sharks had a team list of 60 with seniors and reserves from previous year. Angus gets appointed and reserves get cut. Team list to 35. Immediately 25 blokes get the chop who all had expectations of being senior sharks players. Then they recruit from other GC clubs and other areas. Maybe 20 original sharks players left. So 40 blokes, their parents, etc are pissed. Then some club stalwarts not invited to stay on coaching staff ( what did you say about a broom?). It's a joint full of discontent...and they haven't played a game yet!

On a hiding to nothing in a hostile environment like that. Went and watched a game there early in the season and couldn't believe the chatter on the deck amongst the parents and supporters of the group. They want change..just so long as it doesn't affect their kid!

They were forced to have a big broom last year, that's why there was so much resentment within the joint.

Sharks had a team list of 60 with seniors and reserves from previous year. Angus gets appointed and reserves get cut. Team list to 35. Immediately 25 blokes get the chop who all had expectations of being senior sharks players. Then they recruit from other GC clubs and other areas. Maybe 20 original sharks players left. So 40 blokes, their parents, etc are pissed. Then some club stalwarts not invited to stay on coaching staff ( what did you say about a broom?). It's a joint full of discontent...and they haven't played a game yet!

On a hiding to nothing in a hostile environment like that. Went and watched a game there early in the season and couldn't believe the chatter on the deck amongst the parents and supporters of the group. They want change..just so long as it doesn't affect their kid!
All correct Yesterday, but the broom I am referring to is needed at board level because they are the ones making the decisions.this club was given a wonderful opportunity and blew it, it has no relationship with its feeder clubs, a very poor relationship with its big brother the Suns and by my viewing Aspley and to a lesser extent Redlands handled the transition Ok.Most people gave the club until mid season to blow up and it unfolded as expected.

All correct Yesterday, but the broom I am referring to is needed at board level because they are the ones making the decisions.this club was given a wonderful opportunity and blew it, it has no relationship with its feeder clubs, a very poor relationship with its big brother the Suns and by my viewing Aspley and to a lesser extent Redlands handled the transition Ok.Most people gave the club until mid season to blow up and it unfolded as expected.

Totally agree.Aspley, Redland and Morningside in QAFL, are massively better at embracing those from outside that Southport ever have been. That's why I shed no tears for them in their current position..they have moved on their coach and somehow they think the problem is fixed. Good luck

Totally agree.Aspley, Redland and Morningside in QAFL, are massively better at embracing those from outside that Southport ever have been. That's why I shed no tears for them in their current position..they have moved on their coach and somehow they think the problem is fixed. Good luck

Come on Guys,

Lets give the Sharks some credit here, they are the one's who brought the rest of Australia to even realise that AFL Footy - Or should I say Australian Footy was alive and kicking up here in Queensland originally - They offered the big bucks to bring the better players up here and set the bar for all others from the now new and revamped NEAFL to the lowest divisions of Qld Footy - If Southport led by the Doc did not have a crack at making the Sharks the most notorious (good or Bad) Footy Club in Qld, then we would all be still going to the Mayne footy club in Albion to get our "we play AFL footy in Qld" fix.

Yes they taught us what it like have sh-t on our tounge to lose, but they also taught us what it is like to have the amazing sensational feeling to win - We as a State need the Sharks to be circling in September and I think they have appointed some very, very good leader/s of young men and also in culture to date - Not to be there when the finals come around.

*No cheese here posters, just admiration for a club that we all tried to get close too and due to the changes that have happened - We for a small gap in time have caught them napping, we all know what happens when you poke a sleeping Tiger or in this case a snoozing Shark - Carnage along with Blood!!!!!!!. Failure is word that is not in the vocabulary or used by anyone at the Big Fellow's (God rest his Soul) Frankenhaeuser Oval.

Last edited:
God, I sense a shark crush!

Southport are the Collingwood of Qld football. They are either loved or loathed. They are rich, largely via a massive donation by the Big Fellow which kick started their wealth.(money makes money). They have some smart business administrators and stable board led by the Good Doc.

However, like their name sake, they are predators and, as LAB stated have a less than favourable relationship with other Gold Coast clubs. If they are not careful the biting animal may become the bitten.

For years when they were dominant, they were equally arrogant. Those that suffered by that arrogance are now ok with where they are at. The third best queensland club in NEAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back