MVP 2024 MVG - Round 5 vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, after looking like we would win that comfortably, it all fell apart in the last & we only just hung on for the win. A couple of devastating injuries rocked us as well. So, who impressed you from the team today? Who deserves your votes? 15 total, maximum 5 to any single player.

Thought the rest of our defence stepped up nicely in Taylor's absence. Peatling also had a pretty good game plus the game saving mark.

5 - Idun
4 - Buckley
3 - Ash
2 - Whitfield
1 - Peatling

5- Tom Green
4- Lachie Whitfield
3- Toby Green
2- James Peatling
1- Connor Idun

This was a game where it seemed much more of a "team game", where players performed their role, but we didn't really have standouts. No-one kicked a bag of goals, no one had a blanketing defensive performance, none of the mids smashed the contest. But for three quarters of the game we were well on top and players did their role. So, I've gone with a series of smaller scores to reflect that.

4 - Lachie Whitfield: he's been a bit maligned in this forum over recent weeks, but I thought he controlled the defensive pattern very well; 9 marks, distributed well to often start our counter-attacks, 85% DE, 10 score involvements
3 - Lachie Ash: 9 marks, 9 intercepts, 88% DE, was a standout in defence, & while he didn't make errors giving the ball off (as he has in the past) he wasn't as involved as Whitfield in the attacks that worked IMHO
3 - Tom Green: like last week, seemed to be less involved, but still was our best clearance winner, and sparked a lot of our attack from the contest, plus an excellent goal
2 - Brent Daniels: again, I reckon the stats don't do justice to what Binga adds to our team, 8 score involvements and his run and pressure was superb
2 - Connor Idun: had to step up with Taylor's injury, and played a very good all-round game, defending, intercepting & rebounding
1 - Toby Greene: this could have gone to a number of players, but I thought Toby was our most effective forward, just didn't kick straight (like others!)

Commended: Harvey Thomas was the other player I strongly thought about giving the 1 point to - I thought he was excellent in this game, applying pressure, his speed over 5 to 20 metres catching Saints' players out a few times, and a superbly roved goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back