List Mgmt. MSD Watch 2023 [NMFC select Robert Hansen Jnr with #2 in 2023 MSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unsure if we’ll have a pick or not but this thread if for all things Mid Season Draft.

Most of the players on my watch list are either kids that didn’t get draft last year, ex AFL listed players or players who’ve been on the fringe of getting drafted. We’ve had 2 rounds of the VFL and Coates league while the SANFL have played 1 round. The WAFL starts next weekend. It’s early days but here are a few names I like (some of which wouldn’t really suit our list build but I’ll mention them anyway).

Coates League

Jovan Petric - had a poor first game, but had a BOG performance yesterday with 4 goals. Plenty of scope for upside.

Ryan Maric - kicked 4 goals from 23 disposals and 9 marks last week for Gippsland. 193cm forward who have some impressive evasiveness and movement for a 193cm kid. More of a third tall type rather than a key forward.

VFL

Sam Lowson - started the year on fire with bags of 5 & 4. Looks a class above with goal sense and his ability to push up the ground.

Connor Downie - pure wingman who is working into his role at the Roos. Has good vision and plays in a position where we desperately need depth. One to watch.

Mitch Sybokowski - only played the one VFL game due to the bye but looked good. Only had 14 disposals but grew in confidence in the 2nd half. Pure inside mid.

Flynn Gentile - Another young inside mid who had started the year in good form, 179cm inside mid who attacks the contest hard. Has started off the year 29 and 27 disposals in a weak Coburg side.

Ethan Phillips - very unlucky not to get a crack as a rookie. The best state league key defender who can lock down and intercept. Had a 15 disposal 9 mark game against us in round 1 and followed it up with a 16 disposal, 11 mark game yesterday.

SANFL

Kobe Ryan - Inside mid who has plenty going for him. Was playing league last year as an 18 year old. Started off the year with a best on ground 27 disposal, 4 clearance game. He has clean hands, physical and read the ball wall out of the centre.

Adam D’Aoila - another inside mid who was unlucky to get drafted. Pure footballer who won just about every underage award there was to win. Doesn’t have the best athletic profile, but makes up for it with grunt and competitiveness. Started his league career with a solid 16 disposal, 13
tackle game.

Jed Hagan - West Australia who has relocated to play for Port’s SANFL side. Small mid/back pocket or half forward. He is a genuine utility and has high footy IQ. Had 12 disposals, 6 marks and kicked a goal for the Port side that got belted by nearly 100 points.

Jonti Schuback - started off his SANFL career with a 12 disposal, 5 tackle and 1 goal game. Showed some dash and will look to build his game. Still only 18 so plenty of upside. With some development could make a solid wingman at AFL level.

Casey Voss - best half back that isn’t AFl listed imo. Started the year up the ground a bit more for Sturt to try showcase his versatility. Had 18 disposals, 5 inside 50’s and 8 marks in a good win yesterday.

I think it will give a good indication of where our mindset is at.

Do we go someone like Lowson who will help us this year and next, or are we still looking to the future?

We bid on Downie in the draft but Hawks matched it . Was delisted due to constant injuries. If he can get some continuity would not surprise if we picked him.

The interest is still there, which is why he is playing in our VFL side. He has been decent so far without being outstanding, so I’ll watch with interest to see how he progresses the next few months.

As long as it isn’t a kid

Lowson looks good but is 28 - is still take him and hope to get 5 yrs out of him.
At the moment with turner / sleevo at the fall of the ball there isn’t much for the opposition to worry about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

roos_fanatic08 I posted the below in National Draft thread, but probably fits better in here.

Luke Teal had a medical setback and a shoulder injury, but what do you think the reason was that he didn't get drafted? His combine results were pretty good from memory as well.

He seems perfectly suited to a wing at the next level.

I'm with Nostra on this one, Lowson is too good to be playing VFL and is a need as a small forward that kicks goals.
The only reason he isn't already on an AFL list is because clubs are way too scared to take the risk with his past off field issues.

He may be tracking well and doing better these days, but the sad reality is one big issue at a club can negatively impact a whole playing group.

The only reason he isn't already on an AFL list is because clubs are way too scared to take the risk with his past off field issues.

He may be tracking well and doing better these days, but the sad reality is one big issue at a club can negatively impact a whole playing group.

What were those issues Souup?

Pm please if you can't say on this forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back