Opinion Most improved 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We couldn't give Tom MacDonald away and he's been our best forward for the year, so I'd say him.

Hunt being best 22 would have surprised most I'd have thought.

Dunno why people are nominating my boy Charles. He's been unreal since he came to the club. Love that little *er!
Been saying it the whole time. What a bloody legend.

Luke Jackson IMO

Was just a developing player last year (still is) but this year he is a essential player for us and has allowed us to move Gawn around wherever we want him because we can now rely on Dogga

Jacko and Petty probably the biggest ones. Each playing very well and cemented their places in the team. Both also enable Gawn and Lever/May more freedom.
Pickett and Riv have both improved a heap too, especially with their consistency.
ANB and McDonald have returned to previous highs.

Petty, gone from I didn't want him in the team at the start of the season to one of my fav players.

Still does some stupid s**t occasionally but I love the way he goes about it in general.

Not most improved, since both were good in 2018, but I’d like a shout out to TMac and Nib who looked like they were done at Melbourne but have reinvented themselves
Great shout w Nibbler, not like he's hit big on the scoreboard like he did in 17/18 either. Still don't think his ball use is amazing under pressure but in general a reliable decision maker these days, and he can win some big ground balls like he did vs the Cats. Only 25 still, wonder if he's got more improvement left in him. I definitely think he can play better footy as a goalkicker than he has this year(could be wrong, analysing footy from the TV screen is difficult, but I feel like he's had some genuine crumbers' goals over his time and hasn't popped up w those much this year)

Have to go Petty, some campaigner on here may or may not have said they didn't trust Petty to hold a key post down back, and that may or may not have been me; just how confident he plays has been amazing, pairs well with his great hands and his ability to read the play. Tommo might be better 1 on 1 still but having 3 key talls who play that aggressively, can take intercepts, along w Salo who reads the play so well...its a great mix

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about most improved player attributes? Fritsch's goal kicking
Clarry's tackle-evasion/breaking?

Not sure on this one but maybe Trac's defensive work? Feels like its at least improved from earlier years

Clarry's tackle-evasion/breaking?

Not sure on this one but maybe Trac's defensive work? Feels like its at least improved from earlier years

Tracs tackling was utter pox on the weekend mate.

Petty and Jackson's marking have come on big time.

Tracs tackling was utter pox on the weekend mate.

Petty and Jackson's marking have come on big time.
Yeah so I wasn't really sure about that one, but I think his workrate and positioning has been better. 4.3 tackles is a career high too. Still a lot of work to be done

Tom McDonald would have had it sewn up at the half way mark. I’ll stick with him for being half way out the door for a bag of chips last year and fans wouldn’t have bat an eye lid.

I’m struggling to think of anyone who has gone backwards this year. Even Jones’ 7 weeks were better than last year.

I don't think we can say petty. He was injured most of last season and I was confident he was going to be a good player, albeit as a forward.

I'd like to see Spargo kick more goals. For a top of the ladder team, he has kicked 14 in 23 games. Even though he is a defensive forward I'd like that to be over 23.

I'd say Pickett for kicking 35 in his 2nd season is a great effort.

I don't think we can say petty. He was injured most of last season and I was confident he was going to be a good player, albeit as a forward.

I'd like to see Spargo kick more goals. For a top of the ladder team, he has kicked 14 in 23 games. Even though he is a defensive forward I'd like that to be over 23.

I'd say Pickett for kicking 35 in his 2nd season is a great effort.

Also being top 2 in the league for inside 50 tackles (with ANB being the other, and also a contender for this title)

Joel Smith. From looking like a delisted player to Norm Smith medallist is a bloody big rise!!

Petty
Koz
Jackson
Spargo
Rivers

I left out more senior players or TMac would be in the mix.

Petty has come from the clouds tbh and is bloody rock solid. We've lost nothing with Tomlinson being injured. Koz and Jackson have gone from
potentially exciting to bonafide stars already. Spargo and Riv have just continued a nice upward trajectory who have locked in best 22 spots.

Jordon and Sparrow not far off either. Both aren't quite locks for best 22, but have played most games and contributed. So both deserve a mention..

Kozzy for me.

Last year, he had multiple games where he really didn't contribute anything, except potential. This year, he generally finds a way to kick a goal or two even on days when he has limited impact.

He is also so clutch. Composed, and full of self-belief. AA squad beckons in '22.

Close second Jayden Hunt. Has silenced the naysayers with a great year where he has firmly cemented himself in the best 22 and, importantly, has found consistency in position and in what his role is. Genuine game breaker who does stuff nobody else on the list can, and still has scope for huge improvement.

Finishing the podium is Petty. Superb season.

Kozzy for me.

Last year, he had multiple games where he really didn't contribute anything, except potential. This year, he generally finds a way to kick a goal or two even on days when he has limited impact.

Where the heck were you PJ when I was taking on the entire board saying I didn't see it? Unbelievable. Left me hanging. :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back